First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just curious if anyone else ordered the 2.0 EB engine WITHOUT getting AWD?

Initially, I was going to order the hybrid engine but opted for the 2.0 instead. Don't really need AWD in Florida, and the one AWD vehicle I had was when I lived in upstate NY. Having said that, some decent all weather and/or snow tires usually did the trick with all of my FWD vehicles.

Opted to not get the upgraded FX4/tow package as well. Don't need it, and if/when I ever get around to towing something, even though I opted to get the hitch installed. Better to have it and not need it, just in case.

Anyone else go this route? What was your logic in not getting AWD?

*** As an edit, when at the dealership placing my order, it was almost like the salesman was pushing for me to get the AWD as part of my XL package, maybe "just in case" I decided to not take possession of my order. Better resale, perhaps? Or an excuse for ADM? Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

TXM2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FWD ECO Maverick Lariat Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm one of the few as well. In Texas I really don't need the AWD, but I do like the extra power of the EB. We're certainly a minority here.

catinthebathtub

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
haas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 GT 350, 60 VW, 34 pickup and porsches....
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm one of the few as well. In Texas I really don't need the AWD, but I do like the extra power of the EB. We're certainly a minority here.
one more FWD in houston. not actually in my driveway yet but should be here shortly.

TXM2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Sponsored

SlappaDaBass

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '21 Forrester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FWD in Ohio. Did it to save $3k and honestly - I never really needed AWD. I think it's overrated.

For me living in the snowbelt, most people honestly only NEED their AWD 2-3 times a year. Do the math - $3000 over 4 years (not even counting interest) is $750 a year. So you are paying $250 every time you actually NEED AWD not to mention the fuel economy hit, possible further delays (more chips to build an AWD), the need to replace all 4 tires if you have an issue, ect....

Also, the Mav has a slippery mode that knocks out the traction control. Couple that with some good tires and you've probably got a beast in inclimate weather.

OP
OP
JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We're definitely a minority. Would like to see some 2.0 EB FWD love on youtube from reviewers.

TXM2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
FWD in Ohio. Did it to save $3k and honestly - I never really needed AWD. I think it's overrated.

For me living in the snowbelt, most people honestly only NEED their AWD 2-3 times a year. Do the math - $3000 over 4 years (not even counting interest) is $750 a year. So you are paying $250 every time you actually NEED AWD not to mention the fuel economy hit, possible further delays (more chips to build an AWD), the need to replace all 4 tires if you have an issue, ect....

Also, the Mav has a slippery mode that knocks out the traction control. Couple that with some good tires and you've probably got a beast in inclimate weather.
My same logic. I don't live in the snowbelt so could even less justify AWD other than "just because". Cool to have? sure. But the one day in 3 years there's snow out there, I've got no business being on the road.

I too think AWD is overrated. But because of being minority, I'm afraid resale will receive a big hit. Still, I'm paying less, so I'm Ok receiving less. While enjoying all the advantages of simpler mechanics.

I'm aware suspension is different, but I'm sure we'll be fine.

Sponsored

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lived in Northern Nevada (Reno area) for twenty years and now in Connecticut and never "Needed" a 4WD or AWD. From my observations it seemed most of the vehicles that lost control were the 4WD and AWD because the drivers were overly confident. Maybe not having 4WD or AWD makes drivers a bit more careful in the snow?

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One more for the FWD ecoboost pile. My choice was a dislike of CVT type transmissions. I realize their simplicity, but when I made the choice, there was also the power factor. I do not like nor want 'drone' cars/trucks, I want something that can move. With nothing available at the time of order(July) that indicated performance levels, I just went for a real transmmission with actual gear ratios and a first for me turbo.
I learned to drive in locations where snow was popular in the winter. We did not have snow tires on the station wagon, so I learned well about traction and spinning tires. A FWD will spin the tires if you give it enough gas, but is pretty decent if you are careful, and should be fine in most conditions. IMO.
tom

TXM2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One more for the FWD ecoboost pile. My choice was a dislike of CVT type transmissions. I realize their simplicity, but when I made the choice, there was also the power factor. I do not like nor want 'drone' cars/trucks, I want something that can move. With nothing available at the time of order(July) that indicated performance levels, I just went for a real transmmission with actual gear ratios and a first for me turbo.
I learned to drive in locations where snow was popular in the winter. We did not have snow tires on the station wagon, so I learned well about traction and spinning tires. A FWD will spin the tires if you give it enough gas, but is pretty decent if you are careful, and should be fine in most conditions. IMO.
tom
Exactly. With my last 3 vehicles being CTV's, I wanted to take a break from those transmissions and/or engine drone.

Later I learned Mavericks' are eCVT's, but it was too late. (And I'm not really sure there's much difference).

SlappaDaBass

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '21 Forrester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lived in Northern Nevada (Reno area) for twenty years and now in Connecticut and never "Needed" a 4WD or AWD. From my observations it seemed most of the vehicles that lost control were the 4WD and AWD because the drivers were overly confident. Maybe not having 4WD or AWD makes drivers a bit more careful in the snow?
This is so true!

AWD does absolutely nothing to help you stop on a slick road. It's only benefit is to get you moving if you are stuck. I watched a ton of videos by C&D, Motortrend, ect, that compared AWD vehicles with A/S tires vs FWD vehicles with snow/winter tires and the FWD with snow/winter performed significantly better. Obviously AWD with snow tires would be the best, IMO.

I figured I can grab a set of steelies that someone get's sick of next year and throw on some Blizzak's and be ahead of the game. Or just get some high quality 3PMSF and call it a day.

BigB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
tom
Only the hybrid has the eCVT. All Ecoboost Mavericks have the 8 speed auto regardless of fwd or awd.
Sponsored