Sponsored

Anybody else with cruise control oddity? (Lariat hybrid)

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The manual (page 213 and 219) says you can use the 'SET+' and 'SET-" buttons to raise or lower the speed you desire by holding the button. Once you reach the speed you want, release the button and the truck will adopt that speed.

If I hold either of the 'SET' buttons and release them when I reach the speed I want, the truck just keeps accelerating or de-accelrating. I have to tap the brakes to return throttle control to the driver.

If I press the 'SET+' button once, the truck sets the current speed as expected and maintains that speed.

Before I take it into the dealer, I thought I'd ask Club members if their Lariat hybrids did the same thing. . .

Thanks ahead of time.
Sponsored

RDRahn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I will try that in the day or two and get back to you. I found that each "bump"
up or down of that set button increases/decreases by 1 MPH which I find handy to get to the speed I want.

Last edited:

Saul T Knutz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Crown Victoria
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hmmm...how many more MPH does it go when you release the SET+ button after holding it?

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

After pushing the button up to set and engage the cruise, flipping the same toggle increases speed going forward and decreases going down. you should see the set speed number going up and down as well.

Car Nut

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Mavericks, 2015 Scion FRS, , 63 Lincoln, 85 Toy
Engine
Undecided
Comment only: this vehicle has the most convoluted cruise control buttons I've ever experienced. It took me about 5000 miles before just beginning to understand them. Now with over 9000 miles I still make mistakes. All controls on the left side of the steering wheel was just a very stupid idea. No explanation of the fact that one of the controls is actually a master on/off and another control turns off cruise just temporarily.
Well it only cost me $2280. over the base model to get this feature, such a deal !

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Comment only: this vehicle has the most convoluted cruise control buttons I've ever experienced. It took me about 5000 miles before just beginning to understand them. Now with over 9000 miles I still make mistakes. All controls on the left side of the steering wheel was just a very stupid idea. No explanation of the fact that one of the controls is actually a master on/off and another control turns off cruise just temporarily.
Well it only cost me $2280. over the base model to get this feature, such a deal !
Weird. Pretty self explanatory for me.

X cancels it
Cruise icon toggles on/off
Set + sets or increases
Set - sets or decreases
Res resumes

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can see what speed the cruise control is set to in the lower left of the info screen. My guess would be you're holding the speed to increase and the set speed value is increasing faster than the truck is accelerating. So when you let off at, say, 60 mph because that's the speed you wanted the value has actually been set to something like 70 mph so it wants to keeps accelerating.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

man, not sure one needs to be a NASA engineer to use it - after using it for a bit seems pretty easy to operate even the adaptive cruise on the Lariat which has even more buttons. .

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Weird. Pretty self explanatory for me.

X cancels it
Cruise icon toggles on/off
Set + sets or increases
Set - sets or decreases
Res resumes
Pretty consistent amongst brands.

RDRahn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I tried this on my way into the office this morning. When the Set+ button is pressed and held, it appears the speed control jumps up by 5 MPH as a time (as seen on the instrument screen). Then, the vehicle keeps accelerating until that speed is reached. I think the key here is to watch the panel for the speed control and not the speed you are going.

As I mentioned yesterday, pressing Set quickly increases/decreases the speed 1 MPH per click.

Also, I do find the speed controls pretty standard from not only other Ford vehicles but other brands as well. Just placement and how they operate are slightly different.

Sponsored

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I tried this on my way into the office this morning. When the Set+ button is pressed and held, it appears the speed control jumps up by 5 MPH as a time (as seen on the instrument screen). Then, the vehicle keeps accelerating until that speed is reached. I think the key here is to watch the panel for the speed control and not the speed you are going.

As I mentioned yesterday, pressing Set quickly increases/decreases the speed 1 MPH per click.

Also, I do find the speed controls pretty standard from not only other Ford vehicles but other brands as well. Just placement and how they operate are slightly different.
This was my experience as well, you can’t hold down the set buttons otherwise it’ll jump in 5 mph increments quickly. The first time I tried using cruise I accidentally set it 10mph higher than I wanted as a result lol.

I think maybe this is just some people use to older vehicles with cruise control where you had to accelerate, check the speedo and press set on a stalk or the steering wheel multiple times or hard ...because I know my older Fords and even a Camry were not very responsive with cruise control input. My old Grand Marquis usually took some trial and error of pressing set to get it to work and maintain a consistent speed. It was annoying enough in those vehicles that I rarely used it.

The Maverick’s cruise control is incredibly responsive so there are no delays in setting anything. I found it easy enough to use on a few long trips that I don’t feel I’m missing out not having adaptive cruise control since it was easy to adjust the speed in most conditions quickly using the set buttons.

tkistre

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been a transit driver for our local Ford dealer for over 3.5 years now. I do know that on some models, when you hold " + " to increase speed (not bump it once for 1 MPH, but hold to increase multiple MPH), some models will start increasing by 1 MPH for a few miles, but after a few seconds of holding it, it will start jumping by 5 MPH. Next thing you know it is trying to increase vehicle speed to 90-100 MPH.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been a transit driver for our local Ford dealer for over 3.5 years now. I do know that on some models, when you hold " + " to increase speed (not bump it once for 1 MPH, but hold to increase multiple MPH), some models will start increasing by 1 MPH for a few miles, but after a few seconds of holding it, it will start jumping by 5 MPH. Next thing you know it is trying to increase vehicle speed to 90-100 MPH.
Kinda like your kitchen oven timer, where holding the arrows increments/decrements by 1 for the first few, then starts jumping by 5.

The assumption is that if you're holding the button down, you want to change it by a lot so it speeds up for you. Then let go and you can tweak it up/down by 1 with repeated presses of the button.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I agree with those who think it's pretty standard... Took me 5 minutes to get comfortable with it. And I've got the ACC on my Lariat/Lux.

Saul T Knutz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Crown Victoria
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You got a tad more than cruise for $2280. Or you can look at it like you got cruise for $2280 and Ford threw in a bunch of free extras because they liked you so much,lol

But I am curious...once you found out 23 XLs had cruise standard, did you place an order for one?
Sponsored