AFTERMARKET CRUISE CONTROL

fero

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 toyota taco
Does anyone have knowledge or experience with aftermarket cruise control? Is it dependable and safe? How about cost?
Sponsored

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you search the forum you see a similar question with "recommended" aftermarket for $200-$300 + installation (i.e Rostra).
You used the word safe in your question. In my opinion, they are not or at best I am not sure.
I see those kits as something you add on older vehicles (i.e you want to add cruise control to a nice old mustang ) but I would really worry about adding it on a new vehicle with (active) safety capabilities.
The ECU of a vehicle controls all sorts of things airbag deployment, seatbelt pre-tensioner, ABS, and remember also the XL trim has features such as Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB).

I would not mess by adding a cruise control. It is not like we are talking about an aftermarket such as bed liner or wheels. At least I would not feel comfortable.

OP
OP

fero

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 toyota taco
Thanks -I tend to agree that aftermarket cruise is too risky

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Without a deep knowledge of the subject, I would stand to guess options are/will be available. What's involved and the associated costs are yet to be determined.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Aftermarket systems will never be as integrated as factory units, so take that as a caveat. My understanding is that the better ones will maintain speed, but the factory ones will assist in breaking etc. I opted for factory.

Sponsored

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX

Drew

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Transit Prius Honda Yamaha Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any reason you chose to go with Rostra instead of adding factory cruise control to your XL like many others have done? What was the cost for this kit considering they're adding factory cruise for about $100?
The Rostra costs $290. Took about 2hours including shaping the controller mount.

If I can buy a steering wheel from a Bronco Sport, Transit, Escape, or buy the buttons for my steering wheel, then buy a programmer, & program it for $100, & it not take all day, I’d do that instead for sure.
Sponsored