OniZanza

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe the glowing converter is a new factory option…to cook hot dogs and hamburgers when you’re camping.
Ford Maverick Another remote start gone wrong, GLOWING CAT 1645572525772

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thats
That's not a solution. Ford is selling hybrids with remote start capabilities with zero mention in the manual of not using those capabilities when the weather is cold.

This is clearly an issue that they need to actually fix. Is Ford gonna come build me a garage? You're saying that this is normal behavior for every other hybrid made by every other manufacturer over the last few decades?
I'm here to re-state facts I've read from vehicle and independent scientific studies. I'm not here to debate about other poster's opinions. You'll be able to answer your own questions via Google.

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think it is. This problem is probably just a software glitch? Or a bad batch of sensors?
The ECM that send s and receives feedback from the O2 sensor can be adjusted to add or subtract the air/fuel mixture and lessen the amount of fuel seeping into the converter.

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm here to re-state facts I've read from vehicle and independent scientific studies. I'm not here to debate about other poster's opinions. You'll be able to answer your own questions via Google.
Please post these studies. My Google search came up empty.

If this is normal behavior, I assure you that Ford would put something in the owner's manual warning hybrid owners not to let the vehicle idle for more than a few minutes. If for no other reason then to CYA when one of these goes up in flames and the owner sues Ford.

Edit: here's a quote straight out of the manual with respect to hybrids. This is CLEARLY not normal:

"When the engine starts for the first time
on your drive, the idle speed increases, this
helps to warm up the engine. If the engine
idle speed does not slow down, have your
vehicle checked by an authorized dealer"

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dadmezz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good job of posting and making us aware of this lethal issue if unaware.
Don't set the temperature control too high until Ford has notified current Hybrid owners and has found a correction.
Thank you for Posting this important warning.

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe Ford imagined engine warm up would be 10 times faster if the convertor shoots to 1,800 degrees fahrenheit. Beats waiting for the thermostat to open at 180 fahrenheit. Orange wires-Orange Convertor?

Probably not...

I tried remote start on my Hybrid out of curiosity to see if it worked. Determined it was useless for me because I never saw any purpose to warm up a car. I was always taught leaving a car idling at start up is a good way to wear it out and waste gas. Not to mention the danger of doing that with the garage door down. Oops. Same with heated seats and steering wheels. Just more sh*t to go wrong.
Myth: engines need 10-15 minutes to "warm up". Fact: engines need 30-120 seconds for fluids to circulate and begin warming the engine. High RPM's are not recommended until normal operating temperature is attained.

Geep

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT luxury hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Myth: engines need 10-15 minutes to "warm up". Fact: engines need 30-120 seconds for fluids to circulate and begin warming the engine. High RPM's are not recommended until normal operating temperature is attained.
Are the wide open throttle burst mentioned in earlier posts, high RPM?
If you live where I do -35C last night I can see many owners with unheated garages opening the garage door and remote starting the engine….lots refuse to “no warm up required”. Those winter vehicle mats that we use to collect snow/water/salt will melt then ignite burning the whole damn place to the ground

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
yup as soon as the rpms drop from high to low to the nominal idling RMP range you are good to go... warm weather 30 to 60 seconds min 120-5 min max in cold weather. after 5 min hard to imagine more time to sit and idle.

I suspect a recall to reprogram the ECU will take place if enough people complain and the first fire that is attributed to this phenomena is logged. But if it was my product I would wait till as much bugs are weeded out to do one recall to take care of most of these issues. BUt what the heck its consumer grade product... not like for space or mil level of sigma of reliability on the field. No RMA's in the battle field or in space allowed.

Dadmezz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Cylinder head w/ exhaust manifold -> turbocharger -> downpipe -> catalytic converter.

Whereas on the hybrid the exhaust manifold and converter are integrated into a single assembly.
Wonder if this Hybrid location of the cat heating up can warp the head.

Sponsored

Geep

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT luxury hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
New technology LOL, the Chrysler turbine cars of the sixties had numerous exhaust heat problems…smoking floor mats and the potential to melt the grills of vehicles behind them in bumper to bumper traffic….I guess the saving grace will be that catalytic convert thieves wont bother hybrids

bradFORD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's got to be like putting a banana up your tailpipe, motor can't breathe

EugDom

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep renegade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wonder if we could push Tim bartz to see what his dealership would do if a customer came in with this issue?? Would they think it is a major concern, or just give the customer alot of scripted talking points??

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FoMoCo has posted on the forums today after being mentioned here. They have to know about this thread. The longer it goes ignored, more users will experience this unfortunately. At least they could come on and say that they are "looking it to it" at a minimum.
Or how about..." Please avoid using remote start until this issue is resolved. We're sorry for the inconvenience."

Ya know, so that they CYA.

CatsupGladiator

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Caravan
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My suspicion is that it is an issue with the supplemental electric heat in the hybrid rather than the scavenging of heat that seems intended to aid in warming the battery's cooling system. The PTC elements kick on and draw huge initial current draw, voltage sags, engine surges in response to the current load. The system kills the PTC heater as voltage is too low to run it, voltage now bounces back to where the system thinks it can run the electric heat again and the cycle repeats. With all these engine surges it would seem like an opportunity for some unspent fuel to accumulate in the cat so it can complete it's combustion and make the EPA happy, but as this sits in this loop the combustion never subsides and the cat starts to glow because it is doing its job, but is constantly being fed fuel.

Other videos seem to indicate it happens with Ford Pass, Remote Start with the FOB, or a start with the key in the ignition. Max Heat and or Max Defrost seem to be the trigger from what I have seen in videos.
Sponsored