Sponsored

Android Auto add-on to get full android play store apps (YouTube, Netflix...and true wireless auto)

HybridMavMan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is another way to get wireless android auto, it's a little bit more expensive but the benefits outweigh the cost.

First you need to buy an AI Android box (https://www.carlinkit.store/collections/android-9-0-system-ai-box), $150 on Avg, from eBay or Amazon.

Once received, plug it right into the usb hub (A or C, they give you both connectors) on the head unit.

Then, pair your phone with the wifi and bluetooth signals from the AI Android Box. Once that is done and you follow the directions on your screen, you will have full Android on the head unit. You can load any app that is in Google's Play Store (ie, YouTube, Netflix, YouTube TV.....), any home launcher (I am using Agama Car Launcher - See Picture Below, but there are so many others) and widgets. Plus you'll never have to take your phone out our pocket again.

Ford Maverick Android Auto add-on to get full android play store apps (YouTube, Netflix...and true wireless auto) 1665704992987

I would check youtube on how well it works and the setup process.

My AI Box does have 4G wireless capability as well as WiFi, so I bought a cheap data only sim card (10GB/mo), I am using that instead of my phone data. Just pair your phones' bluetooth with the AI Box and you will be able to receive and make phone calls and text messages, and play music through the head unit.
Sponsored

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Once that is done and you follow the directions on your screen, you will have full Android on the head unit. You can load any app that is in Google's Play Store (ie, YouTube, Netflix, YouTube TV.....), any home launcher (I am using Agama Car Launcher - See Picture Below, but there are so many others) and widgets.
Just to confirm: which Android apps have worked with this setup?

I'm looking to beam the map display of nav apps to the head unit. So like CoPilot or Gaia. Does map app's display functionality work, like pinch zoom in & out?

I really don't care whether this is wireless.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would only be interested if I could play Pac-Man while driving.

OP
OP
HybridMavMan

HybridMavMan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just to confirm: which Android apps have worked with this setup?

I'm looking to beam the map display of nav apps to the head unit. So like CoPilot or Gaia. Does map app's display functionality work, like pinch zoom in & out?

I really don't care whether this is wireless.
Any app that works on your phone will work on this device but I'm unsure how well they will work if those apps are too taxing on the system.

And, on the maps I use, Sygic, Waze and Google maps, pinch and zoom works.

OP
OP
HybridMavMan

HybridMavMan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

awscheetz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Was this tested on the xl/xlt or the lariat with sync?

OP
OP
HybridMavMan

HybridMavMan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the XL without sync so I'm not sure if it will work with sync.
Sponsored