Amps on 110V/400W outlets?

Danimal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Anyone know what amps you can draw from the 110V outlets? I'm curious to know if I could use this little truck as a back up generator in a power outage. I could run a long power cord from the bed of the truck into the house and power a few essential things. The biggest draw would be a fridge, likely 15amps+ when the compressor kicks in.

I've looked all over the Ford websites, watched all the youtube videos and talked to Ford salesman and can't find that info.

Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP

Danimal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Watts = Amp x Voltage so 3.3ish amps at 120v
Huh, I didn't know that math. 3.3 will power just about anything labeled 'camping', but many normal home appliance are all out of that range.

I appreciate the info, thank you

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 400w inverter in my F150 (sometimes) doesn't even handle my laptop properly (HP Omen w/2.9 Amp max draw power supply). Yes, I know it should but ...
(I guess I should research this to see if it is a known issue on the 2015's.)

vengo97

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone know if you have the bed plug, and the cab plug are those 2 separate inverters, or 1 inverter for both outlets?

Sponsored

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Followup question, is the inverter pure or modified sine?

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 400w inverter in my F150 (sometimes) doesn't even handle my laptop properly (HP Omen w/2.9 Amp max draw power supply). Yes, I know it should but ...
(I guess I should research this to see if it is a known issue on the 2015's.)
The max draw amp furnished by the 120 v invertor will be affected by the state of charge of the battery. If the 12v battery voltage drops even to 11.7-11.8 the inverter may not provide enough DC voltage (also of concern is if the inverter is a "pure sine wave" type inverter. It would be best to use the USB power plug to run computer (or use a DC to DC USB plugged into your 12 volt "cigarette" style power supply. You would at least avoid the electricity losses in converting 12v to 120ac and then converting back to DC.(if you are plugging your computer into 120).

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also note: I monitor the 12v bus in my CR-V and the alternator is regulated such that in order to keep 12v battery fully charged I have to keep enough drain on the bus (leave running lights and AC fan blowing) so that the regulator thinks the battery is below 12 volts and needs to charge battery and steps output up to 14.2-14.4 to charge battery.

SlingerRing

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Ford Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Huh, I didn't know that math. 3.3 will power just about anything labeled 'camping', but many normal home appliance are all out of that range.

I appreciate the info, thank you
P= IV, Watts law. V=IR, Ohms law. Little useful things for the ol tool box

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The max draw amp furnished by the 120 v invertor will be affected by the state of charge of the battery. If the 12v battery voltage drops even to 11.7-11.8 the inverter may not provide enough DC voltage (also of concern is if the inverter is a "pure sine wave" type inverter. It would be best to use the USB power plug to run computer (or use a DC to DC USB plugged into your 12 volt "cigarette" style power supply. You would at least avoid the electricity losses in converting 12v to 120ac and then converting back to DC.(if you are plugging your computer into 120).
Unfortunately my Omen doesn’t charge via usb-c. But you bring up a good point, I could investigate the voltage and amp draw supplied by the hp power adapter.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unfortunately my Omen doesn’t charge via usb-c. But you bring up a good point, I could investigate the voltage and amp draw supplied by the hp power adapter.
I assume it has a 120v plug. Is the transformer external? If so see if you can obtain a 12v to whatever voltage it requires convertor that has the same plug the external transformer uses to plug into it? I am not familiar with "omen"?

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Omen is an HP gaming laptop computer. Transformers only work with alternating current. That's why you need the inverter. It changes DC to AC. Some devices need a pure sine wave to work properly. Most cheap inverters do not supply this.

Irvinec32

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone know what amps you can draw from the 110V outlets? I'm curious to know if I could use this little truck as a back up generator in a power outage. I could run a long power cord from the bed of the truck into the house and power a few essential things. The biggest draw would be a fridge, likely 15amps+ when the compressor kicks in.

I've looked all over the Ford websites, watched all the youtube videos and talked to Ford salesman and can't find that info.

Thanks
I made a video where I used the Maverick Hybrid as a generator.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone know if you have the bed plug, and the cab plug are those 2 separate inverters, or 1 inverter for both outlets?
Pretty sure it's one inverter with 2 outlets. On a cheap truck like this they aren't going all out with build quality. Also pretty sure it's not pure sine wave. They would advertise the fact if it was.

I'd still like to know where the actual inverter is located.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I made a video where I used the Maverick Hybrid as a generator.
Ok I really love what you did here. It's a dead simple way of turning your mav into a generator and avoids all the drama of splicing into the system or trying to alter the programming. If I had a hybrid I would definitely look at doing this for camping or emergency use.

Do you know how many amps you can safely draw at once? Running power tools and a microwave off it is amazing. There is almost nothing you can't run.
Sponsored