First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Focus wagon 06 Silverado 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
THIS IS WHY THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION HAS BEEN PHASED OUT.
EVERYTIME SOMEONE DOWNSHIFTED, AND THE VEHICLE SLOWED BECAUSE OF THAT ACTION, THE BRAKE LIGHT DIDN'T GO ON AND IT CAUSED PEOPLE TO REAR END THAT VEHICLE!!!

This is why you don’t see any vehicles on the road from the 1960’s, 70’s, 80’s and so on. They all got totaled because the brake lights didn’t automatically go on when the vehicle slowed down due to anything other than using the brake pedal.

OSame idea about not having amber turn signals. Without them, cars just get rear ended because it is beyond human comprehension to understand that a flashing red signal on one side of a vehicle means that they are TURNING that direction.

How’s that for convoluted logic?
————————————————
WOW. I “get” what you’re saying here! All those T-Bone collisions were before the side marker mandates.
But I wonder why head on collisions still happen.?.?
🤔
[/QUOTE]
People just follow to close and are not paying attention nowadays. It,s only getting worse. I constantly hear about crashes practically every day.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Grabber Rick

Grabber Rick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
Grabber Rick

Grabber Rick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From the OP Do the Lariats come with LED rear tail lights and amber turn signals?
No just Led lights around the outer perimeter of the taillight housings.

OP
OP
Grabber Rick

Grabber Rick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Video.

But I admit I have been wondering how this is worked. I'm one of those people whose dad basically told me if I touch the brake for any reason other than to stop the vehicle, he would break my legs. So, I will almost always coast to slow down and only use the brake if I am actually stopping or if the person in front of me decides to hit their brakes (which falls under that "stop the vehicle" column). Even going downhill, I will utilize engine breaking and not the friction brakes.

I'm amazed the EVs don't light up when using regen. That said, the one EV I ever drove, I turned 1-pedal off because I have 20+ years of pedals not working like that. With that vehicle, with 1-pedal off, it still used regen at the beginning of the braking curve and I would imagine the touching the brake pedal is enough to trigger the lights.
Even cars without regenerative braking slow down when releasing foot off accelerator pedal. Automatic cars do too. My Focus is a manual transmission and it gains speed down hill anywhere from 5-10 miles a hour. Even with cruise control set. I figured cruise would help maintain speed but no. People just need to pay attention when driving.

OP
OP
Grabber Rick

Grabber Rick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
THIS IS WHY THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION HAS BEEN PHASED OUT.
EVERYTIME SOMEONE DOWNSHIFTED, AND THE VEHICLE SLOWED BECAUSE OF THAT ACTION, THE BRAKE LIGHT DIDN'T GO ON AND IT CAUSED PEOPLE TO REAR END THAT VEHICLE!!!

This is why you don’t see any vehicles on the road from the 1960’s, 70’s, 80’s and so on. They all got totaled because the brake lights didn’t automatically go on when the vehicle slowed down due to anything other than using the brake pedal.

Same idea about not having amber turn signals. Without them, cars just get rear ended because it is beyond human comprehension to understand that a flashing red signal on one side of a vehicle means that they are TURNING that direction.

How’s that for convoluted logic?
Sarcasm I am going to bet. Cause I see some 80's cars on the road and plenty of manual transmissions. People are to preoccupied and distracted while driving.

Sponsored

Krischievous

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kristen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XL AWD Iconic Silver
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since I have been on this club lots of Mavericks have been rear ended. I am going to switch to LED bulbs. I don't have my truck yet (maybe October). I been always trying to figure out how to add amber signals somewhere on the back. They are way more easy to see. I ordered Night Light tailgate light strip on Amazon. It has red running lights red brake lights white backup lights. This one has amber directional turn signals. At first I thought will it work? Brakes and turns are combined on vehicles with red only lights. Only vehicles with amber turn signals are separate. I figured hitting the brake would result in amber brakes.

I plugged them into my 07 Ford focus trailer plug and yeah every thing functions properly. I figured I was going to have to run a wire to the front turn signals since they have no brake function. Then I thought I may had to buy a converter box for vehicles using amber lights. So glad I don't. I may have to hard wire so I don't loose my back up lines. The truck will think I always have a trailer attached. Just wanted to share this with fellow Maverick owners. We gotta protect our Mav's little rear ends. Check on Amazon and it will show up. I left a review so you will know you it is the correct item.
I've been thinking about this too. Where I live a lot of people have started using relay(?) Switches and when they hit the brakes it strobes. At first I thought it was silly, but after seeing so many it's definitely more noticable than flat break lights. I'm thinking about adding it when I have my truck.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I suspect part of the reason people get so close is that the back bumper is black and kind disappears against the painted tailgate. There should be running lights or red reflectors on the lower portion of rear bumper.

Another factor is that in the rear view mirror it is very hard to judge how close people really are.

Happy Guy 823

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Dakota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been thinking about getting the "triple flash" brake lights and replacing the ones mounted to the cab. Flashing lights tend to get people's attention.
These are illegal in the US. Just sayin'.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know where the rear-end data comes from but I think it's believable for Hybrids.

When you let off the gas, the truck goes into regen which slows it more than simply letting off the gas pedal on most ICE cars and it doesn't turn on the brake lights.
To me, regen braking is braking and the brake lights should come on. Please fix this Ford, it's a simple software change.

The ACC feature is nice but Ford really needs to fix the fact that it will not use the brake lights when it is slowing the vehicle. To me, Ford should consider ACC as just another 'driver'. When the Maverick is slowing down for traffic under ACC control, the freaking brake lights should come on.

Thanks

Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These are illegal in the US. Just sayin'.
This has already been discussed in some other thread- but depending on state, the 3rd brake light flashing is NOT illegal within limits. (can't continue flashing non-stop).

Flashing the side brake lights is NOT legal in any state because so many cars have red turn signals.

OP
OP
Grabber Rick

Grabber Rick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bad news the hitch plug in light bar did not work on my Maverick. Amber signal flashed momentarily. Have parking lights but brake function did not work. Turn signals did not work either. Tried on my 07 Focus again and it worked. My Focus hitch wiring was tapped into the tail light wires directly. I guess since the Maverick has factory harness it will not work with amber blinkers. I may have to buy harness from E-trailer that plugs into taillights to give me a extra flat 4 plug that is not part of the factory plug. Computer recognizes and thinks the light bar thinking it is a trailer hooked up. Don't want to splice any wires. Hopefully the taillight plug adapter will work allowing amber turn signal function to flash.

Barnstorm

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick hybrid, eventually
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bad news the hitch plug in light bar did not work on my Maverick. Amber signal flashed momentarily. Have parking lights but brake function did not work. Turn signals did not work either. Tried on my 07 Focus again and it worked. My Focus hitch wiring was tapped into the tail light wires directly. I guess since the Maverick has factory harness it will not work with amber blinkers. I may have to buy harness from E-trailer that plugs into taillights to give me a extra flat 4 plug that is not part of the factory plug. Computer recognizes and thinks the light bar thinking it is a trailer hooked up. Don't want to splice any wires. Hopefully the taillight plug adapter will work allowing amber turn signal function to flash.
Did you get a chance to try the harness from E-trailer?
Inquiring minds want to know!
😀

Thanks

SLJ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Brake lights not coming on when slowing can be a problem in both Sport mode and Tow mode as both modes use engine brakes to slow.

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd be more concerned in ECO Mode, used more frequently than Tow/Haul or Sport, which has significant Regen Braking.

The biggest problem is the average driver is in half a daze, and truly not paying attention anymore.

While I've put the brighter Las-Fits in all positions, I'd still like a lightbar for additional notification and illumination. Just haven't found one that would allow access to the spare, other than the Putco Blade.
Sponsored