First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, that wasn't the discussion. What is best for me or my personal situation? It might be worse for you and the environment. But I know you were kidding. I'm not sure if it's better. I had one in my one car that I recently took out because I'm thinking about selling it, but overall it's probably worse. First of all, it requires oil and cleaner which probably aren't good for the environment, the engine could be likely to wear out quicker, which is bad for the environment and the paper filter might be mostly biodegradable...... I mean the other option could be to just take the filter out all together or drill a 2-in hole in the middle of it with a hole saw. Probably get a few extra horsepower like that.
I’m glad you caught I was completely joking.
Sponsored

22Lariat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I used to be considered an "environmentalist", but not by today's standard. Until we stop cutting down all the forests, paving everything, dumping trash everywhere, polluting every body of water, expanding and infesting every corner of the planet like roaches in a NYC slum, it's hard for me to worry about a mostly degradable air filter made from tree farms and recycled material.

I recycle, I use efficient vehicles and equipment, and put my trash where it belongs. Until we address the real issue facing our planet, I'm not going to worry about an air filter I replace every 2 years.

In 1900 there were roughly 1 billion people on the planet. When I was a little kid in the 70's, there were 4.5 billion people on the planet. I was amazed at that number. It's almost double now. Seems pretty clear to me we've put too many goldfish in the bowl....

Sorry about the rant ... Back to air filters.

OP
OP
Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I used to be considered an "environmentalist", but not by today's standard. Until we stop cutting down all the forests, paving everything, dumping trash everywhere, polluting every body of water, expanding and infesting every corner of the planet like roaches in a NYC slum, it's hard for me to worry about a mostly degradable air filter made from tree farms and recycled material.

I recycle, I use efficient vehicles and equipment, and put my trash where it belongs. Until we address the real issue facing our planet, I'm not going to worry about an air filter I replace every 2 years.

In 1900 there were roughly 1 billion people on the planet. When I was a little kid in the 70's, there were 4.5 billion people on the planet. I was amazed at that number. It's almost double now. Seems pretty clear to me we've put too many goldfish in the bowl....

Millions of cell phone cases now being dumped every year into landfills - Only 9 percent of plastics being recycled. Not doing an awesome job - (

Gonzo chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti g35 coupe, VW Golf
Engine
Undecided

No need to apologize anybody. I don't know if I consider myself an environmentalist but I'm not really into labels. I mean if you're asking me if I would rather have clean water to go fly fishing in or an oil drum rolling by or the rivers catching on fire like they did back in the '60s. I know what I would pick same regarding the air. Or the fact that there are 70% less wild animals on the planet than when I was born in 1969. So yeah, a lot of it has to do with way too many people, but I think then that puts the onus on us as an individual to try to do some of little things. Obviously nobody's going to live like a monk, not many people anyway, but if 7 billion people say screw it. It what difference do I make then that adds up. I remember some old guys, they're not around anymore, who used to complain about being told they can't drain their motor oil right down to storm inlet. The fact that it went into the local Creeks and rivers didn't seem to bother them. They were more afraid of being labeled an environmentalist.....
How do you stop putting more goldfish in the bowl though? Obviously technology is what it has allowed. A huge explosion in population. Think about the fact that it took 300,000 years to get that first billion people and we've added six more in about 100 years..... Also, retirement systems and the economy in general is basically dependent in its current manner of having more workers than retirees. So you sort of need an ever-expanding population to make that work.
Now back to air filters and I assume you realize it but me and the other bloke were just having a little playful jab at each other.

22Lariat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I only have one kid.... Reducing my future contribution to the destruction of the planet by 60% over the average...

Sponsored

Gonzo chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
I only have one kid.... Reducing my future contribution to the destruction of the planet by 60% over the average...
I only have one as well. I would like to hope that we can work towards as much as possible eliminating human impact on the planet that's not going to happen really anytime soon if ever. Also I do believe, sorry to say this out here to some, but there needs to be some sort of regulatory body to make it happen. The market will generally steer people to buy the cheapest or best product for their needs. And most will disregard the environmental end of it and will write it off as they are only one person.

22Lariat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not a believer that population growth is the only answer to supporting retirees. And I have faith in most people freely choosing the right option when truthfully educated about the situation, and given viable alternatives. There's too much misleading self interest and profiting already.

Gonzo chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
I'm not a believer that population growth is the only answer to supporting retirees. And I have faith in most people freely choosing the right option when truthfully educated about the situation, and given viable alternatives. There's too much misleading self interest and profiting already.
Understood, yeah, I think there is a way besides population growth, but how is that going to happen? As for the faith in most people choosing the right option? You have a little bit more of that than me so cheers to you!

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Good news is almost every major country is losing population. Bad for economy but probably more sustainable.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Motorcraft filters are quite good.
Yeah I have liked KNs but at this point - I do believe they are a little more messy without much of a gain over stock/paper - So Motorcraft/Wix or ?

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah I have liked KNs but at this point - I do believe they are a little more messy without much of a gain over stock/paper - So Motorcraft/Wix or ?
IIRC the gain is very minimal while the amount of particulate they fail to filter is significant. Wix are overpriced IMO. You can't go wrong with the OEM filters and they are quite reasonably priced. Some guy on youtube cuts open oil filters and the motorcraft oil filters are well made.

IMO it's more important to change the filters frequently than it is to pick the best of the best. I use walmart house brand supertech oil and filters in my old explorer. The synthetic oil is cheap and still better than the best dinosaur oil from the 1990s and the filters are reasonably well made. If you change every 3-5k you will be fine.

For a vehicle under warranty the motorcraft brand is just about ideal.

RichardCranium

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL 2.0 AWD 4K CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

When did this thread turn to air filters? I thought it was about how our children are going to ruin the earth.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
kids, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree
Sponsored