Sponsored

Buschur Maverick intake (w/ K&N air filter) DONE, TESTED and PROVEN-data and pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been running K & N air filters since the early 80's, on a variety of vehicles. I've read lots about 'em, and watched some really good scientifically conducted (YouTube) comparison tests. All filters will allow some particulate through - no such thing as 100% protection (efficiency). Testing does seem to reveal that the K & N filter media does allow more particulate through than paper or foam. However, I'm sold on how easy it is to clean and re-oil K & Ns, and they do seem to flow well in the comparison tests I've seen. I will probably get a K & N for my Maverick.
Yep, in other words a non issue. If you understand why a K&N type filter might help, you understand what issues come with their use and how to mitigate them.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Buscher, what are the two sensors attached to the air intake? One is actually on your replacement and the other comes out the top of the intake just behind the rubber flex thingie.
There is only one sensor on my truck and another we installed for a customer today. The one that goes in our intake pipe is an air intake temp sensor.

aspect

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Lux FX4 2.0 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey @Buschur , would you guys be able to suggest an alternate filter that's denser that would fit on the intake? If I'm being honest the main reason I want the intake is for the sound and I'd prefer a higher filtration rate compared to performance improvements. Thanks!

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey @Buschur , would you guys be able to suggest an alternate filter that's denser that would fit on the intake? If I'm being honest the main reason I want the intake is for the sound and I'd prefer a higher filtration rate compared to performance improvements. Thanks!
If I didn't believe K&N's were good filters I wouldn't use them. They make outer foam covers and dust covers for the filters. We've been running K&N and Green filters for as long as I can remember and I can't say I've seen any negative effects in any of the literally thousands of engines we've built.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm curious what else you'd want to use? I just installed mine last night, K&N universal clamp filter RE-0930 is the product that came with Buschur's kit.

Sponsored

aspect

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Lux FX4 2.0 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That seems totally reasonable. My use case is pretty high dust/debris with a lot of dirty road spray and I go through engine air and cabin air filters pretty quickly. I've looked at some test data and I'm personally less comfortable with the K&N oiled cotton vs an oem-style filter. It looks like that filter is for a 3" OD pipe so I'll see if I can track something down. Thanks!

GreatWhiteNorth

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That seems totally reasonable. My use case is pretty high dust/debris with a lot of dirty road spray and I go through engine air and cabin air filters pretty quickly. I've looked at some test data and I'm personally less comfortable with the K&N oiled cotton vs an oem-style filter. It looks like that filter is for a 3" OD pipe so I'll see if I can track something down. Thanks!
Google K & N pre-filter . There are options out there to improve the filtering. Lots of folks in the offroad motorcycle world use pre-filter socks with great results. Dunno if this is the right size or not...

https://www.knfilters.ca/ha-3098pr-...sXk0WzmBIVkXDF5LOCiH-BQv4lAaiH2xoCJmAQAvD_BwE

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They make a dust cover for these filters, that keep dust from getting to the filtering media.

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Research is a good thing, here is a solid option;
Injen filter

aspect

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Lux FX4 2.0 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Injen filter
Yep, I was looking at the injen/amsoil option. Is it actually better, or maybe worse than k&n? I dunno.

I already ordered the Buschur intake yesterday...will probably order an injen filter to see how it looks and maybe one of the k&n prefilters as well. Either way my wife will be rolling her eyes at the turbo noises so mission accomplished.

Props to Buschur for getting something nicely made and tested to market so quickly!

Also, I was thinking....if there's no MAF, how do we think the vehicle will respond to an atmospheric BOV? Wouldn't it be functionally the same in terms of metering?

Last edited:
Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Injen filter
That particular filter looks to be too tall. There isn't much space between the engine bay sidewall with the K&N filter that was included, just enough to get everything in there and fitted...as always I reserve the right to be wrong :) I didn't think the K&N one was that big, but perhaps it is a similar length.

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

May be tight on Buschurs intake, but not too much. His supplied K&N is 6" tall, this one is 7" tall.

Good call out - thanks!

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Use a equivalent size AFE Pro Dry S non oiled rewashable filter as the KN that Buschur’s air intake kit comes with.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Our intake, I pushed the filter over to the side as far as possible to keep it away from heat as much as I could, also gets air from the inner fender wells, that's why it's over so far. The filter we supply will flow more air than this engine will ever make, hell we make 800+ through those with no gains removing them.

shizelbs

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Put my order in. I give zero Fs about hp gains. I want that sweet intake sound.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.