Sponsored

Additional 12V Outlet With Smoker's Package?

RustyF150

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Grand Marquis, '69 Chevelle SS L-78 Conv.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know than when the SMOKER'S PACKAGE is ordered that it includes an additional dedicated 12V socket for the lighter along with the ash cup and element? I've tried to search it but came up empty. Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RustyF150

RustyF150

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My takeaway from this post is how wild it is that manufacturers are still offering a smoking package in 2022 lol
I agree. I'm not a smoker but if there's an additional 12V included then why not get it. Could come in handy.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where/why do you want an additional one?

There's two USB ports up front, a 12v plug up front, and a 12v plug in the rear of the console standard. If you want additional power points, add the 400w inverted/plug. That gives you the three-prong plug and 2 usb ports in the rear of the console. WIth the three-prong plug you can always expand the number of ports with a power brick/extension cord.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The description says it include an extra socket but it's dealer installed. For $70 that's a deal but I have a feeling they just stick the heater element in one of the existing sockets and call it a day.

You can buy the heater elements on amazon cheap but you are supposed to use a special heat resistant socket. It will be interesting to see what they actually do.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RustyF150

RustyF150

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The description says it include an extra socket but it's dealer installed. For $70 that's a deal but I have a feeling they just stick the heater element in one of the existing sockets and call it a day.

You can buy the heater elements on amazon cheap but you are supposed to use a special heat resistant socket. It will be interesting to see what they actually do.
That's a good point about the socket being heat resistant. Thanks for that.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The cubby next to the digi display is the smokers package. Its where yall put you pallmalls.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's a good point about the socket being heat resistant. Thanks for that.
Unless it's actually all plastic i strongly suspect that any one that's metal inside will work. But who wants to find out the hard way?

I really like the idea of having a functioning cigarette lighter in the vehicle, not because I smoke or care about smokers but because you could use it to light a fire or flare or something. I recently had to help someone with a flat tire on a busy highway at night and couldn't get the flares to light and my lighter was dead. A 12 v lighter would have got it immediately but the car had none.

OP
OP
RustyF150

RustyF150

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agreed. Good points.

ffoc01

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hyb FE, 2014 Flex
It just replaces the Front 12v power point with a cigar lighter compatible 12v power point. Then it gives a cupholder ashtray.

The only difference between a 12v power point and the Cigar lighter power point is a bimetallic strip attached to the 12v + center terminal. The strip is there to make the contact w the lighter element and hold it down. When the lighter gets hot, the strip flexes and releases the lighter. Causing it to pop out and shut off.

Sponsored

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It would need higher current than the normal 12v power ports plus heat resistant socket. They usually fuse them at 20 amps by themselves..

OP
OP
RustyF150

RustyF150

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It just replaces the Front 12v power point with a cigar lighter compatible 12v power point. Then it gives a cupholder ashtray.

The only difference between a 12v power point and the Cigar lighter power point is a bimetallic strip attached to the 12v + center terminal. The strip is there to make the contact w the lighter element and hold it down. When the lighter gets hot, the strip flexes and releases the lighter. Causing it to pop out and shut off.
Thanks for the info. I was hoping for an additional 12v outlet but if that's not the case that's okay. Thanks again.

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It would need higher current than the normal 12v power ports plus heat resistant socket. They usually fuse them at 20 amps by themselves..
For the fuse, do you think they just swap out the lower amp fuse for a 20a fuse, or do they also change the connecting wire to a lower gauge?

Thanks

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the info. I was hoping for an additional 12v outlet but if that's not the case that's okay. Thanks again.
Looks like get Xtra heavier duty recepticle.
D. SMOKER’S PACKAGE –
ASH CUP WITH ELEMENT
& SOCKET
Add an ash cup and a lighter to your
vehicle.
• The ash cup/coin holder is designed to
fit in cup holders and includes a lid to
keep ashes or spare change in place
• Constructed of a durable thermoplastic
and removes easily for cleaning
• Both the ash cup and lighter mount
to the center console