donohfx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Incoming 2022 Shadow Black Maverick XLT/FX5/4K/Lux
Hey!

If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it - not a really good fit anywhere, but will require Forscan I assume.

There's a fun thread in the focus forums about adding paddle shifters to a base focus by swapping wheels. https://www.focusfanatics.com/threads/add-sport-mode-and-paddle-shifter-to-base-2016-se.804753/

As far as I know, the escape has paddles. I wonder if this is feasible. Do we know if the transmission could support this input from the wheels? I know that we don't have a manual mode, but it's the same transmission - so I suspect it might just be the lack of hardware.

Anyone want to give this a try? I likely won't until I'm out of warranty haha.
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@Tyvemattis who famously swapped in an Escape digital cluster was working on a paddle shifter swap as well but encountering some hurdles getting the brainboxes to understand it.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To be precise, the current gen Escape that's closest to Maverick with the same steering wheel had paddle shifters available only in model year 2020 (feature removed for 2021+), on the Titanium trim with the same 2.0L EB engine Maverick has. That might make it difficult to actually find one of those wheels to swap in.

Both Escape and Maverick with that engine should have the same 8F35 transmission. Shifting is all software controlled anyway so a Maverick should in theory accept the same paddle inputs.

That said, as you've noted, it was possible on a 2016 Focus, and it should be possible here. You might end up being the first person to try it, though.

Last edited:

Thrillhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I just bought a 2022 Escape Titanium with the 2.0 and it does not have paddle shifters. That's one of the few things I dislike about it.

Tyvemattis

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tyve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To be precise, the current gen Escape that's closest to Maverick with the same steering wheel had paddle shifters available only in model year 2020 (feature removed for 2021+), on the Titanium trim with the same 2.0L EB engine Maverick has. That might make it difficult to actually find one of those wheels to swap in.

Both Escape and Maverick with that engine should have the same 8F35 transmission. Shifting is all software controlled anyway so a Maverick should in theory accept the same paddle inputs.

That said, as you've noted, it was possible on a 2016 Focus, and it should be possible here. You might end up being the first person to try it, though.
the focus had the Manual buttons on the shifter so it was easy to swap them over. Finding a titanium wheel is super easy, I'm running an explorer wheel with paddles, the paddle lights are lit with everything else. I haven't messed with it in awhile, but I had the escape shifter and cluster both with the M mode and when I would press the M button on the shifter, it still goes into the factory L mode. Im assuming the information the computer needs is in the PCM, and I also have found a number that correlates with the Bronco Sport and Escape that both have paddle shifters but it's a grey area since the ones with paddles are also 1.5L vs 2.0L. the maverick info for that module was completely different, which threw me off. I think the issue is getting it to recognize that it has the M instead of the L, which I theory, the numbers between the BS, Escape, and Maverick, should be the same and just the BS and Escape with paddles are different.

Sponsored

OP
OP

donohfx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Incoming 2022 Shadow Black Maverick XLT/FX5/4K/Lux
the focus had the Manual buttons on the shifter so it was easy to swap them over. Finding a titanium wheel is super easy, I'm running an explorer wheel with paddles, the paddle lights are lit with everything else. I haven't messed with it in awhile, but I had the escape shifter and cluster both with the M mode and when I would press the M button on the shifter, it still goes into the factory L mode. Im assuming the information the computer needs is in the PCM, and I also have found a number that correlates with the Bronco Sport and Escape that both have paddle shifters but it's a grey area since the ones with paddles are also 1.5L vs 2.0L. the maverick info for that module was completely different, which threw me off. I think the issue is getting it to recognize that it has the M instead of the L, which I theory, the numbers between the BS, Escape, and Maverick, should be the same and just the BS and Escape with paddles are different.
Thanks for this. That adds up.

I got thinking about this because I added a VTA spacer to my diverter. With an auto transmission, you don't really lift the throttle the same way you do with the manual, so it's hilarious, because it just puffs like a bus does it's air brakes. Definitely not the same as a blow-off on a manual car.

That said, you still get it with throttle lift, but because the revs hang (not drop like throwing a clutch in) it's just a bit weird.

I don't see a manual mav happening, and my next one will be electric (already know I'll pre-order one if they ever make a lightning here... With the price of gas it's time to move on. I bought an EB and it's way better than my wrangler, but 2.00/L gas is insane.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yep, I used those stupid toggles on the shifter for a decade, wishing they were paddles instead. They're especially tricky to use wearing gloves.

Not sure what you're referring to with the 1.5L as 2020 Escape and 2021+ Bronco Sport only got paddle shifters on the 2.0L, not the base 1.5L.

DTF-Garage

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Focus ZX3 (RWD Swap), 2011 Focus SES
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On my 2020 Escape, I can use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel without pressing the "M" button. I can up or downshift with them temporarily, and then it will go back to automatic shifting after about a minute, or when it can tell I am finished using a lower gear to keep the car at a slower speed. If we can even get the Maverick to work with the paddles even temporarily without the full "Manual" mode I think it would make a world of a difference, especially when towing.

Tyvemattis

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tyve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On my 2020 Escape, I can use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel without pressing the "M" button. I can up or downshift with them temporarily, and then it will go back to automatic shifting after about a minute, or when it can tell I am finished using a lower gear to keep the car at a slower speed. If we can even get the Maverick to work with the paddles even temporarily without the full "Manual" mode I think it would make a world of a difference, especially when towing.
Yeah, I've read that, same with the BS, but i belive that is because it is programmed in the TCM or PCM. When I press the M on the shifter, the M on the cluster does not correlate and still does the same thing that the L did, and just greys out the entire PRNDM on the cluster, we have to figure out how to get the truck to realize it has the M and no the L anymore, and I'm not that smart

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 CC XLT, 21 F150 RCSB, 22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can you PM me your VIN? I would like to cross reference your ability to utilize the paddle shifters. I may be able to decipher the missing link. I'm about to install my steering wheel this weekend with paddle shifters. I have already looked at the data from my 2 F150s that I installed the Raptor steering wheels on and both have active paddle shifters. I've identified something that IS different from them and theaverick but before I speak on it I would like to compare apples to apples. I may be able to prove or prove out whether this can be done easily or at all.

Sponsored

DTF-Garage

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Focus ZX3 (RWD Swap), 2011 Focus SES
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, I've read that, same with the BS, but i belive that is because it is programmed in the TCM or PCM. When I press the M on the shifter, the M on the cluster does not correlate and still does the same thing that the L did, and just greys out the entire PRNDM on the cluster, we have to figure out how to get the truck to realize it has the M and no the L anymore, and I'm not that smart
Its funny you say that because I have gauges from a Bronco Sport Outerbanks in my 2020 Escape. The gauges have the "L" from the Bronco Sport, so when I press the "M" on my rotor dial the gauges the gauges just grey out instead of lighting up the "L" on the instrument cluster.

Tyvemattis

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tyve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can you PM me your VIN? I would like to cross reference your ability to utilize the paddle shifters. I may be able to decipher the missing link. I'm about to install my steering wheel this weekend with paddle shifters. I have already looked at the data from my 2 F150s that I installed the Raptor steering wheels on and both have active paddle shifters. I've identified something that IS different from them and theaverick but before I speak on it I would like to compare apples to apples. I may be able to prove or prove out whether this can be done easily or at all.
Man, I spent at least 2 full weeks at work digging into the BS, Escape, Explorer and I changed so many things and I could never get it to work, It has to be a setting in the PCM to tell the vehicle that it doesn't have L anymore. Hopefully someone cracks it though, I sold my truck so I'll no longer be making progress.

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 CC XLT, 21 F150 RCSB, 22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Man, I spent at least 2 full weeks at work digging into the BS, Escape, Explorer and I changed so many things and I could never get it to work, It has to be a setting in the PCM to tell the vehicle that it doesn't have L anymore. Hopefully someone cracks it though, I sold my truck so I'll no longer be making progress.
Sorry to hear that. It is in 5he PCM and the TCM. So far looks like we are missing wiring and programming of these 2 modules. I'm still working at it.

Tyvemattis

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tyve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, it woulda been a lot cooler if they just used the entire Escape harness for these trucks. I attempted to set up the heated steering wheel in my XL and nothing was there
Sponsored