First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see your point for the FWD's. I think if someone would have the need for a trailer brake controller, you might as well get the reasonably priced Tow package which includes the other upgrades, and in my opinion will likely extend the life of the engine.

Trailer Hitch Receiver 7 pin
High Capacity Radiator
Transmission Oil Cooler
Upgraded Cooling fan
Upgraded Drive Ratio
Trailer brake controller

Totally agree, and for the price I would have liked to have had it on a FWD even if I was not going to tow over 2K. These item alone are worth it.

High Capacity Radiator
Transmission Oil Cooler
Upgraded Cooling fan
Upgraded Drive Ratio
Sponsored

MavrickEcoBoost

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Totally agree, and for the price I would have liked to have had it on a FWD even if I was not going to tow over 2K. These item alone are worth it.

High Capacity Radiator
Transmission Oil Cooler
Upgraded Cooling fan
Upgraded Drive Ratio
This is a great point. If you are towing enough to need a brake. These items are a necessity. The oil cooler alone is worth the price for the package since it keeps the transmission cool. Regardless I personally would not add the brake to the Hybrid with CVT since it isnt built to cool faster, and it isnt made to tow more than 2K. The truck is 3700 pounds, it can naturally stop 2k with ease.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's what I like about the Maverick. So many people have so many different needs for this truck and it fits the bill for most. In this case we know the fuse box supports aftermarket brake controller so this would be a perfect solution.
I agree, as I said, Every Ford truck I have purchased since 04(and it is a lot) if they did not have a factory EBC the pig tail was still underneath the dash to add the device. It is usually plug and play. As for the 7 pin in the back, there should also be a plug and play harness there. NOW with that being said, I do not know if the mav will follow this trend, but I can not see Ford bucking a near 20 year practice with their trucks. Now with THAT being said, this is also the first FWD or AWD TRUCK they have made.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My question is why would you add a 7 pin connector if you can only tow 2000lbs…. And if you have the awd already why didn’t you add the 4K tow?
If you are trying to tow over 2000lbs well don’t be a dummy….. should have paid for the awd and 4K….
As I said, I add breaks to every trailer I own. I will be purchasing an aluminum trailer for this truck as well as they only weigh about 600 lbs to add 1200 lbs of motorcycles once in a while. I have said else where, anytime you go over 50% of a vehicles tow rating, breaks are a VERY good idea. Hence the occasional towing with mine. It might be as simple as taking one of my bigger 1500 lbs trailers somewhere. I also got a hybrid which means fwd only. So thats why IM doing it. If I need bigger, I still have the good ole 350 to fall back on. But to go to Daytona, the hybrid with the bikes is fine, I just want breaks on the trailer

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My question is why would you add a 7 pin connector if you can only tow 2000lbs…. And if you have the awd already why didn’t you add the 4K tow?
If you are trying to tow over 2000lbs well don’t be a dummy….. should have paid for the awd and 4K….
If you live in a hilly or mountainous area brakes on even a small trailer would be nice especially if you also want to take advantage of the hybrid mpg.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MarcVelovious

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
Undecided
That's what I like about the Maverick. So many people have so many different needs for this truck and it fits the bill for most. In this case we know the fuse box supports aftermarket brake controller so this would be a perfect solution.

I would rather have the factory switch in the dash and the factory connector near the hitch. I am getting a hybrid, so it is not offered from the factory.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
Have any of you ever seen this? I found it a couple of months ago and actually talked to a guy that uses one. CURT 51180 Echo Mobile Electric Bluetooth-enabled Trailer Brake Controller. https://www.curtmfg.com/dm/echo-mobile-brake-controller

It is ~ $250.00

Review -
I put a Curt "venturer" brake controller in my F150. Basic model. Complete waste of money.

Better add: The braking level slide adjustment was hard to use. Then the braking level increased on it's own. Then I had to unplug it whenever my cargo trailer was empty because the wheels always locked up. All in two months of use. Cut the S.O.B out, put it in front of the rear wheel and said goodbye Curt forever.

Last edited:

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I put a Curt "venturer" brake controller in my F150. Basic model. Complete waste of money.

Better add: The braking level slide adjustment was hard to use. Then the braking level increased on it's own. Then I had to unplug it whenever my cargo trailer was empty because the wheels always locked up. All in two months of use. Cut the S.O.B out, put it in front of the rear wheel and said goodbye Curt forever.
OK, but the Venturer is a different brake controller than this one. The Venturer cost less than $50.00. BTW did you know that Ford made a car called the Pinto?

Sponsored

Dan_Lariat

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX, Mercury Montego, Mitsubishi Raider
And the more important question, why do you need this? I very well might, but I know why I might.
I tow a 1100 lb trailer, and a tap of the trailer brakes can help pull the trailer straight if it starts to sway. I also would like to add the 7 pin connector with brake controller.

EMD_Driver

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 / 2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Right now, I tow everything I have with my Super Duty. Every trailer I own, no matter it's size, has a 7-way connector. In my opinion, the 7-way is much less prone to breaking.

That being said, not every trailer I own weighs over 2,000lbs loaded. I do intend on towing the smaller trailers with both pickups. My Maverick was ordered with the hitch, but not the tow package. Since I don't need the trailer charge line, or brakes, I bought a 7-way adapter. Problem solved... No drama.

*Edit* If I find that sway is an issue with the smaller tow vehicle, I would consider adding a brake controller.

MyFutureMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I was asking the op why he needs the 7 pin. The uses for a 7 pin on a non 4k truck are minimal at best. I have one of those uses. Does the op? I wire all my trailers with brakes......even the small ones
I will have one of those uses too. Will be towing a 900 lb. teardrop camper that came equipped with trailer brakes so I’m going to also need a 7 pin connector and brake controller on my non-4K hybrid.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Need the 2.0 and the 4k package for those. I need the hybrid with the receiver hitch for occasional towing. The 4k is not reasonable. It adds substantial costs.
The 4k package was not an allowable selection for FWD. I tried but needed 2.0 only..... I am happy to see after market brake controller 30A fuze in panel. Will still have to read more to determine if harness to rear contains actual wires for 7 pin plug. I am thinking it probably does. I do like brakes on light weight trailers though may have to learn to delay activation due to regeneration braking. Will we need to find after market controller that will brake trailer only when regenerative brake activates hydraulic brakes???? May have to pickup brake signal switching in new location. I also like charging circuit in 7pin plug which will not be activated in 4 pin to 7 pin adapter, I believe due to current draw.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Right now, I tow everything I have with my Super Duty. Every trailer I own, no matter it's size, has a 7-way connector. In my opinion, the 7-way is much less prone to breaking.

That being said, not every trailer I own weighs over 2,000lbs loaded. I do intend on towing the smaller trailers with both pickups. My Maverick was ordered with the hitch, but not the tow package. Since I don't need the trailer charge line, or brakes, I bought a 7-way adapter. Problem solved... No drama.

*Edit* If I find that sway is an issue with the smaller tow vehicle, I would consider adding a brake controller.
I had a 2006 rav 4 that had high trailer weight rating (not sure but I think was 5k). It would pull whatever you hooked it to as long as trailer was tandem, tongue was about 350-400, speed at 40mph due to braking. At about 3200 lbs you loved trailer brakes. Since then 1200 lbs at 65mph is where I don't touch without trailer brakes.
Sponsored