First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick,Porsche 986,997.1,S4,Tesla
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is were I agree and disagree I test drove a maverick here in Michigan stock it did it . Bought mine and traveled to Ohio had the deflector installed before I even drove mine once. I know a girl over on FB forum that is having same issue no deflector at all. Her and I were discussing this over a month ago .
Oh man mystery continues but I’ll tell this before I installed it. I was closely looking at the hood since there’s talk that the hood shakes and I saw the video on YouTube. Maybe is the truck color A51 mystery continues lol.
Sponsored

CenTexMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: Subaru WRX, Challanger RT, RAM 1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have pretty much come to accept the hood shake for now.At some point I will look at stabilizing it. I am curious if the "hood scoop" helps or if I would be a better off trying to stiffen it.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
I adjusted the rubber pieces and same results it shakes the hood. I’m considering taking the bug reflector off. I might add rubber grommet toward the end see if it helps.
I have a 2.5 Lt fx4 with 4k towing package with approx 1000 miles so far, and yes my hood flutters (no deflector installed) but does not make any noise. It is strange that the flutter happens to the entire hood but especially at the back of the hood. Having owned jeeps for the past 22 years im no stranger to hood flutter but it was always at the front of the hood. I personally would not remove the hood deflector its not the cause. Does the deflector make it worse? That I cant answer as I dont have another truck to compare.

OP
OP
Rodog800

Rodog800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 blazer
I have a 2.5 Lt fx4 with 4k towing package with approx 1000 miles so far, and yes my hood flutters (no deflector installed) but does not make any noise. It is strange that the flutter happens to the entire hood but especially at the back of the hood. Having owned jeeps for the past 22 years im no stranger to hood flutter but it was always at the front of the hood. I personally would not remove the hood deflector its not the cause. Does the deflector make it worse? That I cant answer as I dont have another truck to compare.
Thanks for that reply not that I like that you have it also. But shows that it is happening without the deflector.

Last edited:

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm thinking hard about taking my Mav, should it ever arrive, to my local detailer and asking him to add a spray on treatment. A quick Google search landed me on this one, but I bet there are more. I'm happy with the extra weight in return for a quieter cabin. I'm thinking under the hood, behind the rear seat for starters. Maybe more if it's easily reachable.

https://lizardskin.com/
Most of the sound dampener manufacturers I've looked into, say to cover between 40%-50% of the area that can be covered by their product. It makes sense to cover the most you can but it also makes sense for the manufacturer to sell more material.
Personally, I'm not willing to tear my truck apart to expose that much area, I did it in my younger days, but applying the material is tiresome if you do it right. I'm going to wait to see if the Maverick needs it.
Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rodog800

Rodog800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 blazer
Most of the sound dampener manufacturers I've looked into, say to cover between 40%-50% of the area that can be covered by their product. It makes sense to cover the most you can but it also makes sense for the manufacturer to sell more material.
Personally, I'm not willing to tear my truck apart to expose that much area, I did it in my younger days, but applying the material is tiresome if you do it right. I'm going to wait to see if the Maverick needs it.
Good luck.
I don't think the truck needs it but I have all options . My reasons were different for doing it . Although I may do the front doors for the audio just because I have left over material.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Thanks for that reply not that I like that you have it also. But shoes that it is happening without the deflector.
Just wait a while and see what happens its obviously happenning to most if not all of them, and its a bit strange to look at but mine makes no noise at all, and i hardly ever use the radio so? Im sure Ford is aware of this and its just the design and thats it? My truck came with a note that said my truck was chosen at random for testing off the assembly line and that explained why it was delivered with 42Km on the odometer, so presumably it was driven at speed at some point by a tech and a pro would have seen the hood flutter?

aberdeenmeadows

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat Spider 124 and Mazda 6
Just wait a while and see what happens its obviously happenning to most if not all of them, and its a bit strange to look at but mine makes no noise at all, and i hardly ever use the radio so? Im sure Ford is aware of this and its just the design and thats it? My truck came with a note that said my truck was chosen at random for testing off the assembly line and that explained why it was delivered with 42Km on the odometer, so presumably it was driven at speed at some point by a tech and a pro would have seen the hood flutter?
Mine was also test-driven and I have the same flutter, but usually happens with very high winds and especially if a semi flies past me from the opposite direction. Where the truck was tested and what the weather was like may have shown no hood flutter unless you are experiencing hood flutter even in the calmest of weather. Ohio has had some very high winds since I bought the truck and from my experience, the wind seems higher than usual and I have been driving a Fiat Spider 124 as a daily driver for nearly two years.

The other issue that I have with the hood and high winds is during icy weather. If you don't push the ice off the hood, the wind will want to push the ice on top of the wiper mount, blocking or freezing it. I turned on the wipers with no issues in my driveway to clear the screen from what little water was there. A lot of ice on the hood but none on the windshield. I drive 3/4 of a mile and my wipers froze up and I couldn't use them for nearly 11 miles. It was not snowing or raining and the wind was moderate. I saw the ice being pushed from the hood to where the windshield wipers were, but they were small chunks by the time it got there. After 11 miles, I was able to use my wipers again!

This morning, there was a lot of snow on the truck and hood, but no ice and the weather was nice and calm. I wiped all the snow from the hood and from every part of my truck and had no windshield wiper issues.

Stupak

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the textured hood deflector and you can clearly see the hood shake at 65/80mph. One user has a video on YouTube maverick hood shakes.
I just drove 800 miles through baja and no shake, noise , rattle, nothing. Smooth as silk!

Sponsored

ElectricCity8

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14’ Explorer limited 01’ GMC 2500hd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
UPDATE:
Well I am please to say this worked for what I was trying to do . Going into this there was no guarantee this was going to work. 1st I am no engineer I'm a communications tech. By trade. But that always leaves me with curiosity of fixing things and learning.

So the main reason I did this was for the hood shake , I have the aero skin textured model. With that said I experienced shake in a test drive on a different maverick . So I have no clue if this is isolated to this hood deflector.

Upon doing this I have a friend whom is a engineer on the Toyota tundra for 20 plus years now. He pointed out alot of engineer type things to me....blah blah lol.
So I decide to go ahead with this project cost was 50 bucks only used 10 sheets or so. I could have done cheaper but bought a big box with plans to do doors for speakers etc. later.

So after couple drives yesterday and today at my work route tested at speeds above 75 to 85 mph. The flutter / shake is gone with very very minimal now there if at all. So this worked for me . I had already reported to ford on this and they have called me back and forth to look at and check the issue ( this was not me pushing this with the dealer they called me after I reported to investigate). This may work for others it may not .
I have gotten lots of slack from people in this and other forums I have posted on about heat issues how I'm messing with engineering etc. If you have to be negative just don't post . Go attack some one for a lift etc they are doing to their truck or any other mod. This is my truck I pay the payment and realize what I was doing . Thanks and hope the info helps. I also seen some noises are not apparent any more but I had no issues with that prior to this.

Well bought some 100 mil Kilmat sound insulation for under the hood. Also bought a roller and also used a vinyl wrap tool to help smooth out. Definitely added some weight to the hood maybe that will stop some of the hood flutter , who knows . It seemed a little quieter not sure snowing so didn't go on a test run. But I really did it to see if it helps with some of the hood flutter. Took 10 sheets and about a hour to do.

20211128_151026.jpg

20211128_150852.jpg

20211128_150841.jpg

20211128_143337.jpg

20211128_143327.jpg
If anyone says that by you putting this on the hood will effect the engine cause too much heat etc. don’t listen to them cause they have no idea what they’re talking about.

Orb1T

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick,Porsche 986,997.1,S4,Tesla
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just drove 800 miles through baja and no shake, noise , rattle, nothing. Smooth as silk!
Do you have the hood deflector? Mine started shaking at the rear when I installed the hood deflector

denndemon

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT, 2014 Chev Equinox LT
I had earlier commented on a vibrating fuel line noise (rattle), that was quieted by dealer 'tying it off' under the driver's seat. Source of resonant vibration noise at approx. 1,700 and 2,500 rpm at moderate throttle in the lower gears, appears to be from the torque convertor area of engine (although heard by tech's., they don't seem to want to officially acknowledge it). Not loud, but annoying. Will have to see if gets worse with use as only about 500 miles on to date. 2022 XLT, 2 liter/8 spd. with trailer package.

Phileaux

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge SEL fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine was also test-driven and I have the same flutter, but usually happens with very high winds and especially if a semi flies past me from the opposite direction. Where the truck was tested and what the weather was like may have shown no hood flutter unless you are experiencing hood flutter even in the calmest of weather. Ohio has had some very high winds since I bought the truck and from my experience, the wind seems higher than usual and I have been driving a Fiat Spider 124 as a daily driver for nearly two years.

The other issue that I have with the hood and high winds is during icy weather. If you don't push the ice off the hood, the wind will want to push the ice on top of the wiper mount, blocking or freezing it. I turned on the wipers with no issues in my driveway to clear the screen from what little water was there. A lot of ice on the hood but none on the windshield. I drive 3/4 of a mile and my wipers froze up and I couldn't use them for nearly 11 miles. It was not snowing or raining and the wind was moderate. I saw the ice being pushed from the hood to where the windshield wipers were, but they were small chunks by the time it got there. After 11 miles, I was able to use my wipers again!

This morning, there was a lot of snow on the truck and hood, but no ice and the weather was nice and calm. I wiped all the snow from the hood and from every part of my truck and had no windshield wiper issues.
BTW In Minnesota hood & roof are supposed to be cleared before driving. Hood for you, roof for everyone behind you.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

BTW In Minnesota hood & roof are supposed to be cleared before driving. Hood for you, roof for everyone behind you.
And that (Not to mention the income tax) is why I no longer live in the Land of 10,000 Lakes!
Sponsored