First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, Maverick, 1981 Yamaha Midnight Maxim
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had never heard of acoustic windshields before the Maverick. My question is to anyone who has driven vehicles with them. Do acoustic windshields make a significant difference? Any pros (besides the obvious noise reduction advertised) or cons associated with them?

Acoustic windshields seem to be a $300-$500 aftermarket item, so I could see having one put on if it makes a big difference. Just cannot swing the extra 3k for the Lariat trim.
Have it on my 2011 Escape XLT. Still original glass. Cant say I notice it being quite, it’s the noisiest vehicle the family owns. I even added sound deadening to all doors, rear quarters, and front firewall. I wouldn’t get to excited about it, and definitely wouldn’t pay extra for it for this level of vehicle. High end vehicles may benefit from this technology. Buying a better and louder stereo may be money better spent. 🎶😎

1Darkone

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I am in Apache Junction Arizona and have had to replace 3 windshields in 2 years on my other vehicles. My State Farm agent told me that though insurance companies cant decline a windshield replacement in AZ, they will drop you if you file a claim too many times. Last one I paid CASH to avoid that happening. Really sucks on Arizona roads.

Flight Test

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvettes
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

There isn't a way to quantify an answer to this unless a detailed engineering analysis is made. Using calibrated instrumentation, perform real-world tests and measure two nearly identical Mav's, one w/o said windshield and one with to see what the difference is. Lab analysis would be performed as well. "Seat-of-the-pants" measuring would not be sufficient.

Daemoss

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
AZ roads are just fine so long as you are prepared to:

1. Drive no faster than 25 mph
2. Carry at least 4 spare tires
3. Most importantly, avoid driving.
This tracks with my 20+ years of driving in the Phoenix area.

Sponsored

vinnymac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had never heard of acoustic windshields before the Maverick. My question is to anyone who has driven vehicles with them. Do acoustic windshields make a significant difference? Any pros (besides the obvious noise reduction advertised) or cons associated with them?

Acoustic windshields seem to be a $300-$500 aftermarket item, so I could see having one put on if it makes a big difference. Just cannot swing the extra 3k for the Lariat trim.
I would stop by a glass shop and ask them there opinion.

vinnymac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

The acoustic windshield uses a sheet of specially developed acoustic vinyl sandwiched between two layers of glass. It reduces noise levels by 6 dB at specific frequencies and 2 to 3 dB overall. Not only do acoustic windshields reduce noise, but they also contribute to better fuel economy.May

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Acoustical glass, which Ford calls/labels 'Sound Shield' (that's what it indicates along the bottom) has become all the rage the past 8-10 years with MANY models from different manufacturers. Previously it was exclusive to luxury brands, such as Lexus, MB, and Acura for instance, and now becoming a selling point with other brands. It was a BIG deal in the Subaru community when they began offering it on the Limited/Touring trims of the Outback.

Does it work? - YES, if you drive the same vehicle with and without the acoustical glass, you'll notice a difference in wind and engine noise along the front of the vehicle. Some manufacturers, even Subaru, now install similar glass on the front passenger door of some models. Even consumer reports indicated the Lariat Hybrid they obtained was quieter than the XLT EB model previously tested, and thought the glass might be one of the reasons.

All I know is my '23 Lariat Hybrid seems very quiet to my overly sensitive ears, even at highway speeds, which was my only real gripe with my '12 Subaru Outback, the amount of noise as the speeds increased. The db app on my phone, yes not the most accurate, however does indicate the Maverick is significantly quieter. (Outback ran mid 70s at 35 mph on one of the local roads with all windows up, everything turned off, the Maverick only peaks at just over 60 on the same road, when you cross the railroad tracks).
Sponsored