First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since I don't have my truck, yet, I take time to look at opportunities for mods and better maintenance. I saw a video regarding the gas direct engine which listed its benefits and problems. Sharing it here -

I've been on the fence about catch cans but now I think that the "ounce of prevention" a catch can potentially provide is worth the "pound of cure" not having one can cause. Since I plan on keeping this truck long term it makes great sense because the science about gas direct injection (GDI) carbon buildup on the intake valves is not lying. A CC won't prevent the buildup but it will reduce the buildup. It's time to look for a good catch can. Has anyone found that mythical beast??

Also, I was not aware of the part that oil volatility (NOACK number) played in this GDI problem. I've always used Motocraft oil for my vehicles assuming it was a "good" oil - which it is actually - but it seems to have a high NOACK number thus high volatility. The recommended oil for the 2.0l Ecoboost engine in the Maverick is 5w30 synthetic blend. I could not find any chart or table for 5w30 blend oils but did find one for 5w20 posted below. My assumtion is that NOACK number values for will be similar by product line. Looking for NOACK on 5w30 blends. Anyone have suggestions?

PQIA 5w20 (not Ford recommended grade)

These are my takeaways from the video but, as the guy in the video said, do your research which I plan to continue doing.

UPDATE: Found a PQIA chart for 5w30 synthetic oil. Is synthetic blend required over full synthetic?

PQIA 5w30 Synthetic

And a test of 5w30 full synthetic which shows the TEOST number as well. Test sponsored by Amsoil (the winner) but run by 3rd party independent lab (??).

5w30 Synthetic Test Results
Sponsored

Last edited:

CMOS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte5
Excellent video.

So here's my question: We know thee manufacturers know of this issue (intake valve coking). We also know there's no magic preventative, other than a good catch can, so IF our motor has issues with the intake valves in this manner, what's the remedy?

Meaning, if we take out vehicle into a shop, what will they do to clean the intake valves?

Also, anyone verify that a more viscous oil like a 5-30 would have a lower evap rate than the 0-20's?

CMOS

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a F150 ecoboost. On those forums I read penzoil full synthetic has the least volatiles. Synthetic blend I belive is a mix with synthetic oil and regular oil. I ran a Honda crz to 250k on semi synthetic changed at 8k with 0 issues. But on a turbo engine I would use full synthetic.
Sponsored