Sponsored

4K Tow Package vs FX4 Package

Pairof98s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 1500, 2020 4Runner
Anyone else looking at these 2 options and think they are redundant? Both have trailer hitch, and upgraded radiator and cooling fan. Both are available together, so feels like it should be discounted. I definitely want the FX4 equipment , and wondering if the 4K tow is worth another $800 for 7-pin trailer wiring (vs 4-pin on FX4) and a trans cooler. The most I can see myself towing is 2 ATVs or 2 yards of mulch
Sponsored

sjJohnny

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat, Bronco Black Diamond
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For your use it sounds like you don't need either one - especially since you have 2 capable tow vehicles. Why not go with the hybrid motor and get fabulous mileage?

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks like you don't get the transmission cooler. Unless you live in the mountains, I agree with sjjohnny that what you say you will tow you should be fine with the FX4 package.

I wouldn't feel comfortable maxing out the 4,000 tow rating on the Maverick due to the size of the engine. The videos show it towing an RV trailer but it is at highway speeds. It would be interesting to see the b roll footage on the trek to highway speeds with that RV trailer.

I will be towing a teardrop that is 3,000 lbs loaded with a weeks worth of travel supplies and wouldn't want to tow anymore weight with the Maverick. This is what is stopping me from pre ordering the Maverick. I know a Ranger has no problem with that weight but want to see a Maverick in real life first.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm looking at this in the other direction, getting the 4K tow package, and only want the front tow hooks from the FX4 package. The front bumper looks sooooo much better w/the hooks,,,,

HRG

Sponsored

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
Looks like you don't get the transmission cooler. Unless you live in the mountains, I agree with sjjohnny that what you say you will tow you should be fine with the FX4 package.

I wouldn't feel comfortable maxing out the 4,000 tow rating on the Maverick due to the size of the engine. The videos show it towing an RV trailer but it is at highway speeds. It would be interesting to see the b roll footage on the trek to highway speeds with that RV trailer.

I will be towing a teardrop that is 3,000 lbs loaded with a weeks worth of travel supplies and wouldn't want to tow anymore weight with the Maverick. This is what is stopping me from pre ordering the Maverick. I know a Ranger has no problem with that weight but want to see a Maverick in real life first.
There is a really impressive Ford EcoBoost 3.5 l video online, produced by Ford. They tore the engine down afterward in a public display, and the internals looked great. What they did not talk about was the maintenance they were doing on that engine, which I bet was absolutely first class! My take is that EcoBoost engines can handle quite a lot of abuse due to their sound engineering and manufacturing. However, abuse is not neglect. If you neglect those engines they will degrade quicker than the old fashioned, low output engines of the past. My two cents worth.

TerryE

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm looking at this in the other direction, getting the 4K tow package, and only want the front tow hooks from the FX4 package. The front bumper looks sooooo much better w/the hooks,,,,

HRG
I agree about the tow hooks appearance, I ordered a 4K w/o the FX pkg because I mainly wanted the tranny cooler and larger radiator. No plans nor need for the skid plates since I won’t take it off road. I am betting on the fact that the tow hooks can be added later.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is a really impressive Ford EcoBoost 3.5 l video online, produced by Ford. They tore the engine down afterward in a public display, and the internals looked great. What they did not talk about was the maintenance they were doing on that engine, which I bet was absolutely first class! My take is that EcoBoost engines can handle quite a lot of abuse due to their sound engineering and manufacturing. However, abuse is not neglect. If you neglect those engines they will degrade quicker than the old fashioned, low output engines of the past. My two cents worth.
while Ford basic warranty is 3 years 36k miles bumper to bumper, the drivetrain warranty is 5 years, 60k miles. You can fit a whole lot of abuse and neglect in those 60k miles before paying for anything if that's how people roll o_O

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree about the tow hooks appearance, I ordered a 4K w/o the FX pkg because I mainly wanted the tranny cooler and larger radiator. No plans nor need for the skid plates since I won’t take it off road. I am betting on the fact that the tow hooks can be added later.
I think I'd put fog lamps in that space instead of hooks. really, how much does anyone really even use those hooks?

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone else looking at these 2 options and think they are redundant? Both have trailer hitch, and upgraded radiator and cooling fan. Both are available together, so feels like it should be discounted. I definitely want the FX4 equipment , and wondering if the 4K tow is worth another $800 for 7-pin trailer wiring (vs 4-pin on FX4) and a trans cooler. The most I can see myself towing is 2 ATVs or 2 yards of mulch
Of course this is in their wording, but what is the difference in Heavy Duty cooling and upgraded cooling? With the Tow package you get a different final gear ratio as well and then with the FX4 you also have different wheels. I added both to my order.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Um, I do, unfortunately.
Really? for what, to pull you out of snow banks and flooded drainage crossings in bad storms? Your 2 listed vehicles don't seem like they could pull much in reverse using the hooks? I recently used the tow hooks on our F-150 for the 1st time to dislodge some concrete "logs" the size of a railroad tie while repairing foundation on my old house and it took 4WD Low & locking rear differential to get it to move even with the 5.0L V8 in there.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Trying to get up a 15% grade covered in ice in a minivan.

HarrisonFordMaverick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I’m questioning the differences as well. Seems like the 4K package just adds a transmission cooler, brake controller and the 7 pin harness. The lead engineer in an interview with TFL Truck said that both the 4K and FX4 packages have the same final drive gearing of 3.81. TFL MAVERICK DEEP DIVE
Ford Maverick 4K Tow Package vs FX4 Package 22F094DE-1903-4E3B-9475-309067EE04AD
Sponsored