First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I see a few folks saying they are doing this on their orders, but is this going to be an option for MY23? I can see doing this is removing a constraint but does it save money as well? Also, I hope there will be a Auto Start / Stop delete for the EB as well. Thanx.
Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got my VIN and projected build date last week, when I checked it on the online tracker site it listed the hotspot feature as Deleted. It’s too early to get the window sticker to see if there is any kind of $ credit. I heard ford is deleting auto start/stop on some vehicles, would love it if they would delete it from my build

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IIRC, the adjustment is like $20 for the deletion of the LTE hotspot capability. I think Ford is going to delete the hotspot on most of their vehicles next year, except for maybe the higher-end models.

pnorwood54

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ALTO BLUE XTL AWD-4K-FX4-360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
it doesn't affect ford pass, correct?

Sponsored

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
it doesn't affect ford pass, correct?
Correct. They say it only impacts the ability to pay for "wireless" data/hotspot for people to connect to while in your truck. Deleting the hotspot just means you and your passengers cant get a WiFi signal from the truck to surf the web or watch YouTube while camping.

OP
OP
Bob The Builder

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Answers my question. Thanx all..

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I imagine the answer is no, but were/are the hotspot 5g capable? Don't really care much about a hotspot that is almost obsolete anyway.

If I spent a lot of time in the car with devices with no data I guess it could be helpful, but for $20 per month (and for how long until that goes up?) you might as well buy a portable hotspot and add to a family plan. Probably not much cost difference, it would be 5g, and you could take it with you outside the car.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I imagine the answer is no, but were/are the hotspot 5g capable? Don't really care much about a hotspot that is almost obsolete anyway.

If I spent a lot of time in the car with devices with no data I guess it could be helpful, but for $20 per month (and for how long until that goes up?) you might as well buy a portable hotspot and add to a family plan. Probably not much cost difference, it would be 5g, and you could take it with you outside the car.
No, which is why it is called the "4G" delete. ;)

I am onboard with your "buy a GOOD hotspot" logic as well. Removing the 4G from the Maverick is a no-brainer for me.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

No, from the brochure:

• FordPass Connect with 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot

Sponsored

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I get that the current plan is a 4G LTE hotspot. That doesn't mean the cellular modem they are using isn't also capable of 5g with a software update, new contract with cellular provider, etc. A 4g hotspot with future potential for 5g is a much better item (and these days more commonly produced) than an obsolete 4g one. That's all I was asking for those that knew the hardware details.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I get that the current plan is a 4G LTE hotspot. That doesn't mean the cellular modem they are using isn't also capable of 5g with a software update, new contract with cellular provider, etc. A 4g hotspot with future potential for 5g is a much better item (and these days more commonly produced) than an obsolete 4g one. That's all I was asking for those that knew the hardware details.
I wish! Based on all the drama recently about 3G antennas ceasing to function in some older vehicles, I doubt Ford would be that forward thinking by including an antenna that would include future 5G functionality. If they did, it would be active now I would think.

Check this article out.....3G end of life is impacting things as crucial as "crash notification" for some older vehicles.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...rk-shutdown-impact-on-car-safety-a2215482633/

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the hardware were 5G-compatible, why wouldn't Ford already be using it? Not like AT&T would be charging higher rates. Reality is that the hardware predates 5G so LTE is the best it'll ever connect to.

https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/5g/atandt-wont-charge-extra-for-5g/d/d-id/755898

Ford has, however, apparently been developing a 5G Telematics Control Unit that's undergone FCC-required testing, but it remains to be seen how long we'll have to wait for that to roll out.

https://fccid.io/KMH-14H317-NA1/Test-Report/Test-Report-5G-NR-Part-4-5918740.iframe

The 5G TCU may or may not be a drop-in replacement for existing vehicles, but would probably be at least a few hundred (like the 3G to 4G upgrade offered for older models).

https://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/7734-4g-modem-replacement-details/

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Doesn’t bother me any, my current truck doesn’t have any that stuff, when the grandkids holler needing a connection I just turn hotspot on with my phone, got unlimited plan so no big deal

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wish! Based on all the drama recently about 3G antennas ceasing to function in some older vehicles, I doubt Ford would be that forward thinking by including an antenna that would include future 5G functionality. If they did, it would be active now I would think.

Check this article out.....3G end of life is impacting things as crucial as "crash notification" for some older vehicles.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...rk-shutdown-impact-on-car-safety-a2215482633/
I remember reading about this 3g fiasco. Part of what was in my thought process... Maybe they weren't making the same mistake all over. I assumed no 5g but was curious for those who know more.

If the hardware were 5G-compatible, why wouldn't Ford already be using it? Not like AT&T would be charging higher rates. Reality is that the hardware predates 5G so LTE is the best it'll ever connect to.

https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/5g/atandt-wont-charge-extra-for-5g/d/d-id/755898

Ford has, however, apparently been developing a 5G Telematics Control Unit that's undergone FCC-required testing, but it remains to be seen how long we'll have to wait for that to roll out.

https://fccid.io/KMH-14H317-NA1/Test-Report/Test-Report-5G-NR-Part-4-5918740.iframe

The 5G TCU may or may not be a drop-in replacement for existing vehicles, but would probably be at least a few hundred (like the 3G to 4G upgrade offered for older models).

https://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/7734-4g-modem-replacement-details/
Good answer thanks for the details. This is what I was figuring, just wanted someone smarter than me who knows some of the details to confirm. I couldn't care less if they pull it from mine if it's 4g only.
Sponsored