First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can't believe he paid $16k for that 3rd Gen 4Runner........
He didn't. He got his fans to buy $50 coffee mugs for entry into a win free car contest. Then he used the profits to buy the 4Runner. He did state beforehand that this is what he was going to use the money for.
Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
3:12 "Does this hood need to be this bulgy? It doesn't need all this headroom above the engine."

I'm guessing Ford gives more generous crumple zone for pedestrians to compensate for their AMBS automatic-maybe-braking-system:
I don't know why, but I crack up every time i see the ford video. The car is just like... huh, a person? naaahhhhh

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
I totally agree!! There was no mention of an allocation system when orders were placed. It was assumed that when you placed an order you put in line by date and would receive your Maverick based on that, not by how many allocation your dealership would receive each month!!
Always love Mr RCR. Makes a great real world review and somehow keeps me interested for 20+ minutes.
Agree with his points tho.
1 Bigger touch screen to come to both drive up demand as well as deal with chip shortage
2 Dial shifters are dumb, give me a column shift.
3 thank god theres no “sport select gear” mode.
4 AWD hybrid i think will come later again for demand and chip shortage.
5 cell phone holder is Brilliant .
6 i think the hood is so tall to give it that truck look vs the Santa Cuz weird mini van look.

i wonder if Toyota or GM are gonna try to jump on this market soon. Hell maybe even Chrysler once they get their shit figured out.
The dial shift is a safety feature, I hated it at first but within a day of driving with it, it became very natural to use, I was shifting in and out of park, reverse and drive without looking at all. Ford has already hinted that an AWD hybrid is in the works. The electric portion of the hybrid powertrain is new in many respects so it's going to take more R&D to work AWD into that equation, it's not just a carry over system from the Escape. If I had to guess I'd say the bigger screens and Sync become standard when the chip shortage goes away and a hybrid AWD comes in 2024.

Sponsored

Bosfordjd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 MINI Cooper S, '07 Frontier LE LWB
Yeah I hate dial shifters...and why put them in the center console instead of the dash. It makes no sense.

I really don't like the screen location/look in the Maverick either...would be sweet if someone developed a screen delete option lol. I'd prefer a smaller more integrated screen personally vs. the "pop up" style that looks like an after thought.

You could definitely use the Maverick as a contractor, just use a trailer or rack sysyem in the bed.

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The volvo one is better only because it was a Volvo event where they were showing off their safety tech and it failed miserably.

It's the "....so ladies and gentlemen" that sends me lol

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
Yeah I hate dial shifters...and why put them in the center console instead of the dash. It makes no sense.

I really don't like the screen location/look in the Maverick either...would be sweet if someone developed a screen delete option lol. I'd prefer a smaller more integrated screen personally vs. the "pop up" style that looks like an after thought.

You could definitely use the Maverick as a contractor, just use a trailer or rack sysyem in the bed.
The pop-up modular style is much cheaper from a manufacturing standpoint. You can easily replace it with almost no major changes to the existing dash. Remember, every change requires new design, new testing, new molds to be made which are very expensive. Integrate that screen and now you're redesigning that entire shroud and paying for very expensive molds to be made for it. You're also paying to change the manufacturing process. Utilize a modular design where the new infotainment goes on top and you can spec the infotainment to fit in there without any changes to the existing setup. This is a cheap cheap "truck". I can't stress that enough. They've gone through great lengths via the use of parts bin sharing and cheaper materials (paint, fabrics, interior materials) to get the truck to that 20k price point.

Bryblayma

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi
I totally agree!! There was no mention of an allocation system when orders were placed. It was assumed that when you placed an order you put in line by date and would receive your Maverick based on that, not by how many allocation your dealership would receive each month!!
The only mavericks the dealers should have now are ones that people didn't want their ordered truck..they shouldn't have any hybrids on their lots that were allocated to them..at the beginning everyone wanted the hybrid so they had allocated the eco boost ones out

Sponsored

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Dude is kind of a cheeky bugger!
It is what it is, so many complain about how the mid size trucks are too big so Ford nails it with the Maverick.
Personally, I would have called it a Ranchero, I'm okay with the ute description/label.
My first car or was it a truck in 1976 was a 68 Ranchero with a 302, I can dig the similarity.
Looking forward to not quite coming full circle, have to get some Grand Funk and BTO ready to Bluetooth;)

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Oh, and people who call it a "Trucklette" need a swift kick in the Nut$ !

rcheneyjr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i wonder if Toyota or GM are gonna try to jump on this market soon. Hell maybe even Chrysler once they get their shit figured out.
I would bet they are scrambling. An S10 could be on it way!

rcheneyjr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Ford Maverick 2022 Ford Maverick 2.0T AWD: Regular Car Reviews 🤣 1644863281009

Something like this? (Old Chevrolet Corvair automatic shifter)
Sponsored