First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gti
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
About to embark on our first major road trip while pulling a teardrop camper.

Truck: XLT, FX4, 4K tow.

Camper: 2015 3rd owner homebuilt teardrop. 4'x10', estmated loaded wgt 1500lb, timbren axless suspension with brakes.

Will be keeping track of gas mileage, tow vs regular drive mode, and probably other stuff(suggestions welcome)
Ford Maverick ~2,700 mile round trip with a home built teardrop trailer! 1000004706
Sponsored

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not a lot of weight and my guess is that you will be in regular mode nearly the entire trip unless going up in mountains or facing steep hills. I pull about 1,600 pounds 2-3 days per week behind my hybrid with ZERO problems. Only difference is that I get 8-10 mpg better in Regular mode.

OP
OP

Whatcolortochoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gti
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not a lot of weight and my guess is that you will be in regular mode nearly the entire trip unless going up in mountains or facing steep hills. I pull about 1,600 pounds 2-3 days per week behind my hybrid with ZERO problems. Only difference is that I get 8-10 mpg better in Regular mode.
Yeah I'll probably be in regular most of the trip till I hit mountains. I'm hoping for mid 20's mpg with its light weight and small profile. With just the truck I get low 30's high 20's but traveling a bit faster than I plan with the trailer.

Maverick504

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Keep us posted! I myself have the same truck and I’m driving from New Orleans to Albuquerque where I’ll pick up a 3k camper and tow it to Chaco Canyon and the Petrified Forest.
Out of curiosity, did you change the oil before your trip? I still have the original factory oil, but only around 2k miles on the engine currently and my Fore Pass app says my oil life is at 83%.

JimKivi

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 4x4, Silverado, Mazda 3, Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thomas,
Greetings! Another request that you post updates on the trip. I'm very curious about the mpg with different drive modes. (I am eco, 4x4). I have been following the teardrop groups for a while, and currently have the new frame for a trailer I am building in the driveway. After much thought, I just could not see the four foot ceiling height, so I am going a little wider and 5 1/2' tall inside so we can just barely stand. Happy travels!

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yeah I'll probably be in regular most of the trip till I hit mountains. I'm hoping for mid 20's mpg with its light weight and small profile. With just the truck I get low 30's high 20's but traveling a bit faster than I plan with the trailer.
Try taking it easy on a whole tank. Like 55-65 on a state hwy. Our Tremor did 30.9 with a topper and is only supposed to do 24 hwy. You could end up getting high 20s with that trailer.

OP
OP

Whatcolortochoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gti
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Keep us posted! I myself have the same truck and I’m driving from New Orleans to Albuquerque where I’ll pick up a 3k camper and tow it to Chaco Canyon and the Petrified Forest.
Out of curiosity, did you change the oil before your trip? I still have the original factory oil, but only around 2k miles on the engine currently and my Fore Pass app says my oil life is at 83%.
I last changed my oil at 17000 miles and will hit 20,000 in a day or two.

OP
OP

Whatcolortochoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gti
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thomas,
Greetings! Another request that you post updates on the trip. I'm very curious about the mpg with different drive modes. (I am eco, 4x4). I have been following the teardrop groups for a while, and currently have the new frame for a trailer I am building in the driveway. After much thought, I just could not see the four foot ceiling height, so I am going a little wider and 5 1/2' tall inside so we can just barely stand. Happy travels!
Right now, I am staying in regular for most driving. Maybe 1/2 to 3/4 tank in tow haul while I was on windy mountain roads.

OP
OP

Whatcolortochoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gti
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Try taking it easy on a whole tank. Like 55-65 on a state hwy. Our Tremor did 30.9 with a topper and is only supposed to do 24 hwy. You could end up getting high 20s with that trailer.
Going easy has been difficult for me. The first 400 miles I got 25mpg which included heavy DC traffic and cruising at 60-70mph. 70-80 I'm getting 23ish.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Going easy has been difficult for me. The first 400 miles I got 25mpg which included heavy DC traffic and cruising at 60-70mph. 70-80 I'm getting 23ish.
Oh I get it once the temps went over 105 in the southwest I did about 3 days running 80-90mph lol. Over all the 4550 miles including about 15 hours of offroad driving we averaged 24 mpg. But that sweet run from the Mississippi to the Texas gulf coast across the bayou got some really good cruising in. It was all small towns with not much more than a stop sign or light and then right back uo to 55mpg, which I would push a lil. I couldnt believe when the mileage jumped over 30mpg.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Whatcolortochoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gti
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Turns out the trailer brakes are not engaging when I hit the brake pedal only the squeeze switch. I had the first trailer brake recall. So that's fun!

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Jealous -- Chaco Canyon is astounding when you learn more about it, and then just sit there and take it all in. I need to get back there some day. Enjoy the trip.
Sponsored