Sponsored

2.5 Hybrid Engine Air Filter Replacement (high flow)

Skidderz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Has anyone replaced their Hybrid OEM engine air filter with a high-flow one from K&N or S&B? I looked on both websites and couldn't find the exact replacement part #. They showed parts for EcoBoost, and it was a full cold air intake replacement. Are there any other high-flow options? I have used K&N and S&B in my other vehicles with success (one of which was a Lexus 450h). Thanks
Sponsored

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Can't speak for the Maverick, but when I had my 2015 Prius, I switched to the K&N filter. The only thing nice about it is that you can clean and reuse it. Didn't really see any other change from a perfomance point of view.

jollyrogerreefer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I upgraded my hybrid 2.5 to the K&N filter, part# 33-5122 two weeks ago, easy install. Also doing an oil change this weekend and will be putting in the K&N HP-1002 filter. After doing a fair bit of reading online, seems to be 2 camps, people who swear by them, and people who think they are a waste of money. Haven't read anything about the air or oil filters ruining motors and that was my main concern.
I'm trying to drive this truck into the ground so any bit of TLC is worth it to me.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've had two vehicles with K&N filters. Removed both in favor of paper once I noticed the amount of dust that escaped the filter and got into the intake tubing.
Go for it if you will but check the intake after a few k miles and check for dust.
Take care not to over oil them when servicing as well since your MAP might fail from the excess oil.

Last edited:

ripperAZ

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MachE 2021 Genesis G90 2032 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has anyone replaced their Hybrid OEM engine air filter with a high-flow one from K&N or S&B? I looked on both websites and couldn't find the exact replacement part #. They showed parts for EcoBoost, and it was a full cold air intake replacement. Are there any other high-flow options? I have used K&N and S&B in my other vehicles with success (one of which was a Lexus 450h). Thanks
I used them for about four or five years in several vehicles and found them to provide no advantage be kind of a mess and actually in some cases are not as effective as just changing a paper filter on schedule. Almost every mechanic I’ve spoken to just kind of laughs about it and says that’s just a typical scam. There is really no advantage to them over just maintaining your paper filter.

Sponsored

dhill59

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2014 MX5 Club
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

No more oil soaked air filters for me.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
seems to be 2 camps, people who swear by them, and people who think they are a waste of money
I'm solidly in the latter. I can change a paper air filter in a parking lot in 5 minutes. No need to wash, wait to dry, oil, reinstall. EcoGuard disposable filters are generally pretty inexpensive. The one for my Nissan Frontier vary between $6-10.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Been using them since 1990.

You won't notice any performance changes.

You won't ruin your engine.

You will have one filter for the rest of your ownership. No more to buy. Ever.
That's the only reason I did it. Pays for itself if you keep the truck a really long time.

My dodge truck I kept the single K&N in it for 20 years. Washed it once every ~5 years. It works better dirty than clean. I probably cleaned it too often.

In my hybrid Escape I had a K&N in it for dang near 15 years.

Totally up to you.
Zero credible data they help.
Zero credible data they hurt anything.
Millions of strong opinions. None of them more correct than others.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The K&N lets more dust through. If your goal is longevity, I would use paper.

Sponsored

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The K&N lets more dust through. If your goal is longevity, I would use paper.
K&N is good for at least 20 years.

I feel beyond that is not needed for most users. But I am happy there's choices.

Swami37

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Bronco and 2020 F150 FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Make sure to put your catch can in when you install the k&n filter
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

sva50233

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you enjoy spending your time in a garage sink expelling dust from the inside out of a K&N filter only to then oil it and hope not to over oil it and then install it for no noticeable performance increase but potential harm to your engine, go for it.

Since I've been there and done that for a couple of years, I can firmly say I'm out of that game. Factory or Mann paper air filters for me, as my time is of greater value to me the older I get

sva50233

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
K&N is good for at least 20 years.

I feel beyond that is not needed for most users. But I am happy there's choices.
Do you actually believe Mavericks are built well enough to last 20 years? Or that you will own your Maverick for 20 years? Or that 20 years from now, you will want to be playing the oiling game?

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do you actually believe Mavericks are built well enough to last 20 years? Or that you will own your Maverick for 20 years? Or that 20 years from now, you will want to be playing the oiling game?
Unknown.

I've kept other vehicles on the road 15, 19, and 20 years. And sold them all in running condition.

What is known is you won't find people replacing their vehicles over air filter choice. It's always for some other reason. They outgrew it, got bored with it, wanted newer tech, got in an accident, got rusty, wore out the interior, air conditioner quit working, and so on and so on. Air filter is not even in the top 100 reasons.
Sponsored