First Name
Jeannette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250 Diesel, 1968 Cadillac Eldorado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m sure this is a dumb question for many but i haven’t used the bed outlet and I don’t want to do any damage to my truck. I’m working on my cabin and don’t know what tools I can safely plug in and how long I can run them. I’ve searched threads but can’t find any tips so I’m reaching out to my MTC family😊

I’ve been waiting for the electric company to hook up a transformer and temporary meter but I’m getting tired of waiting ☹ I need to use my circular saw, orbit sander and shop vac so far. Will the outlet work for these tools? How long? I know I need Accessory power on but what else do I need to know?
Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Those probably will not work on 400w, is there a label showing the amps for each?

400W is about 3.3 amps, those tools are likely 10+ amps each.. the saw is likely close to 15 amps.

Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
GreenLady

GreenLady

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeannette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Those probably will not work on 400w, is there a label showing the amps for each?

400W is about 3.3 amps, those tools are likely 10+ amps each.. the saw is likely close to 12 amps.

Good luck

Thanks, I’m pretty much realizing the outlet is more for tailgating than work☹ Wishful thinking.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’m sure this is a dumb question for many but i haven’t used the bed outlet and I don’t want to do any damage to my truck. I’m working on my cabin and don’t know what tools I can safely plug in and how long I can run them. I’ve searched threads but can’t find any tips so I’m reaching out to my MTC family😊

I’ve been waiting for the electric company to hook up a transformer and temporary meter but I’m getting tired of waiting ☹ I need to use my circular saw, orbit sander and shop vac so far. Will the outlet work for these tools? How long? I know I need Accessory power on but what else do I need to know?
The power outlet(s) are mostly for electronics.

Appliances, No.
Major Tools, No.

Heaters, No.
Electric Blanket, YES!

Air Conditioners, No.
A fan, YES!

Hair Dryer, No.
Electric toothbrush, YES!

Corded Electric Drill, No.
Chargers for battery drill, YES!
Chargers for almost any tool YES!

Little tools like Dremel. Hobbyist tools like soldering iron, hot glue gun, YES!

Audio / Video gear, within reason, YES!

HTH,

Sponsored

OP
OP
GreenLady

GreenLady

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeannette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
GreenLady

GreenLady

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeannette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Appliances, No.
Major Tools, No.

Heaters, No.
Electric Blanket, YES!

Air Conditioners, No.
A fan, YES!

Hair Dryer, No.

Little tools like Dremel. Hobbyist tools like soldering iron, hot glue gun, YES!

HTH,
Thanks! Looks like the only thing I would use it for is the battery charger for my cordless tools.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks! Looks like the only thing I would use it for is the battery charger for my cordless tools.
It's a good way to do it. Once you pony up $ for the battery set, battery tools will do about everything.

4 or 5 batteries and one always on the charger keeps me going all day. Most tools charge faster than I can drain them. Circular saw and Saws-all are the two exceptions that I can drain quickly.

Best of luck.

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also, don't worry about damaging your truck if you plug something in that draws more power than it can support. It has a smart breaker that will trip, and resets after you restart the vehicle.

(Well it should... The outlet in my Fusion Hybrid was that way.)

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good idea but I would need a small generator that I can carry. Would I be able to run a pancake compressor with one?
You would need to look on the compressor to see what the power requirements are. 120V compressors are generally designed to run on a household 15a circuit. That would suggest a generator in the ~2000w range like a Honda. Honda's are in the $1200 range, a similar generator from Harbor Freight is $620 (but not Honda quality). the Honda is still ~47 lbs so it's not exactly 'light' if you need to lift it in and out of the truck. A ~2000W generator should run all the tools you mentioned. I have a 10 year old Honda 2000W, it has been flawless.....

good luck

Last edited:
Sponsored

Old Ford Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid Lariat ; 2016 Linc Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

i was told many many years ago that the only dumb question is the one you dont ask. even though i dont know the answer i'm sure you came to the right place to get it.
good luck with your projects :)

Old Ford Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid Lariat ; 2016 Linc Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Appliances, No.
Major Tools, No.

Heaters, No.
Electric Blanket, YES!

Air Conditioners, No.
A fan, YES!

Hair Dryer, No.

HTH,
good to know, thanks for the useful breakdown on this plug :)

OP
OP
GreenLady

GreenLady

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeannette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's a good way to do it. Once you pony up $ for the battery set, battery tools will do about everything.

4 or 5 batteries and one always on the charger keeps me going all day. Most tools charge faster than I can drain them. Circular saw and Saws-all are the two exceptions that I can drain quickly.

Best of luck.
Since I only have the ends of 2 boards to cut with my saw I brought them home to cut. All my sanders are battery and I have 9 batteries so shouldn’t have any problems until the electric is hooked up 👍🏻

OP
OP
GreenLady

GreenLady

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeannette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also, don't worry about damaging your truck if you plug something in that draws more power than it can support. It has a smart breaker that will trip, and resets after you restart the vehicle.

(Well it should... The outlet in my Fusion Hybrid was that way.)
Oh that is definitely good to know! Thanks!
Sponsored