Cruise control add-on

Harleyguy001

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Cadillac CTS, 2016 C7, 2010 Tahoe
I really want the XL over the XLT, but I absolutely need to have cruise control. Suggestions?
Sponsored

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
I'd wait to see how well aftermarket cruise works and the cost/difficulty of install

Why do you want the XL so bad? Keep in mind the incentives seem to be pushing for bigger discounts / better finance rates for the XLT and Lariat trims so while MSRP may be more on the XLT, actual prices paid might be closer

OP
OP

Harleyguy001

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Cadillac CTS, 2016 C7, 2010 Tahoe
I'd wait to see how well aftermarket cruise works and the cost/difficulty of install

Why do you want the XL so bad? Keep in mind the incentives seem to be pushing for bigger discounts / better finance rates for the XLT and Lariat trims so while MSRP may be more on the XLT, actual prices paid might be closer
Even though I can get Z-plan pricing, I just like the idea of a minimalist truck. I have lots of fancy/expensive things, at some point, they all break. Trying to keep it simple.

Spartan_J

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Chevy Spark
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i added an aftermarket cruise (stalk) to my Chevy Spark. No...it was not an option either. It was <$250 an took about 30 minutes. Plugged right into my obd2 plug. I could easily spliced it into the back but if I ever need to use the obd2....I can just as easily unplug it temporarily.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
I really want the XL over the XLT, but I absolutely need to have cruise control. Suggestions?
two options in my opinion.

1 Bite the bullet and spend the $2,285 for the XLT. Or

2 get the cruise control buttons from the “ford parts counter” like $60. Install it (super easy) Then have the dealership program it. (If they will)

Sponsored

zackmd1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429BB / 2019 Tesla Model 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2 get the cruise control buttons from the “ford parts counter” like $60. Install it (super easy) Then have the dealership program it. (If they will)
You are assuming it will require programming…. I am willing to bet that it will not require programming and will be as simple as swapping in the cruise control buttons.

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll copy here something I posted on another forum a couple of days ago:

Q: Will it be possible to add cruise control to an XL by swapping its steering wheel and switches?
A: Who knows?

The Maverick is closely related to the Ford Escape, so I looked through Escape forums for answers.
Note that the forum posts are written mostly by civilians like you and me, as opposed to Ford engineers, who probably won't post due to liability issues.
Remember that Adaptive Cruise Control needs to interface with the engine and brakes through a complex and expensive computer; you don't want to make any mistakes.

https://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=34666 says about adding cruise control (probably not adaptive in that year, 2017):
"Ford dealers used to be able to do it. All they had to do was install the proper steering wheel with cruise buttons, then enable cruise in the computer. Now, Ford's software requires a dealer to enter the vehicle's VIN number, and they cannot enable a feature that the vehicle wasn't originally equipped with. That being said... There may be a way.
Thanks to Russian hackers, there is free software on the internet called ForScan (You will need a full licence, but that is free too). With the proper OBD II adapter - (You will need one that can communicate with Ford specific systems. I have the OBDLink MX Bluetooth) You may be able to go into ForScan and enable cruise. If you can, then most likely, adding the proper steering wheel will make it functional."

I read this thread: https://www.fordescape.org/threads/how-to-adding-adaptive-cruise-non-stop-go-and-copilot-assist.117530/ which seems to be relevant and to be honest I did not understand most of it.
I know I wouldn't try this for my Maverick.

My advice: If you really really want cruise control you need to order a trim level other than XL or wait for Ford to make it an option.

Yar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux - VB
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well... you could always....

Ford Maverick Cruise control add-on Cruise Control

;)

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
I just spoke to my dealer who has talked with Ford and to their knowledge, cruise control is not planned as an accessory for XL.

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
You are assuming it will require programming…. I am willing to bet that it will not require programming and will be as simple as swapping in the cruise control buttons.
Just depends on how Ford does it. They have done it either way in the past. Can’t find anything about the C2 platform

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
I just received a very quick reply from "Rostra" concerning adding Cruise Control on the Maverick XL, The following is the reply;

" We should have a cruise control system available for the 100A/XL equipment package Mavericks shortly after Ford begins delivery to customers."

"Thank you for your interest."

"Bill Simmons

Marketing Director
VOXX Electronics Corporation"

wsimmonsVOXX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi everyone!

As mentioned here, through our Rostra Accessories division, we we will be offering an add-on cruise control system for the '22 Maverick shortly after it is available. I've ordered the XL model in Cactus Gray for myself, so have no fear - if you decide to order the XL/100A equipment package, you'll be able to add cruise control, seat heaters, front and rear parking sensors, blind spot detection, interior and exterior LED lighting and more. If you're interested, check out the video below. It's from a Subaru but will give you some idea of what an installation typically entails. Likewise, please follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, or LinkedIn to get notices of these new products right away:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Rostra
Instagram: https://instagram.com/rostraaccessories/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/rostratweets
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/rostra?sub_confirmation=1
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/rostraaccessories

Cruise Control Installation Example

Thanks in advance for your interest!

Bill Simmons
Marketing Director
VOXX Electronics Corporation

2351 J. Lawson Blvd.
Orlando, FL 32824
P: (910) 291-2532

dano0726

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought everything would be easy when I wanted to install the Jeep hardtop wiper blade/washer control after I got rid of the soft top...had to buy a new turn signal stalk (with additional wiring) along with installing a vinyl hose from the engine bay reservoir all the way to the back glass on the hardtop...

Needless to say that I punted that idea after opening the parts box -- sold the parts to someone else, and Jeep hardtop has no wiper blade/washer access (to this day)
Sponsored