Sponsored

What will be the make or break specs for you on the Maverick?

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Reading through this forum, a lot of people have a lot of different priorities when describing what they hope the Maverick is. What matters for you and what would be your cut off points for acceptable/desired specs for that facet of the truck?

For me (in rough descending order):
Bed length:
Acceptable 48in? (any shorter and it doesn't have much more space than my Transit Connect has behind the second row). I'd have to check if I could toss my bikes over the tailgate with bed that short, but if I could, it would meet basic acceptability.
Preferable 56-60 in (I just don't believe it would be longer even if 72 in would be nice).

Tongue weight:
Acceptable/desirable: >= 350lbs
A bike rack and a swingout adapter can be over 100lbs add three bikes and you're already at 200+lbs. Add more and you're definitely over. I'll likely use the bed a good amount of the time for carrying the bikes to trailheads around town but for road trips the bed will have all the camping gear and the bikes will be on the rack.​

Payload:
Acceptable: 1300
Desirable: 1500
Three humans and a dog - 425lbs and increasing​
Bikes with rack - 200lbs​
Kayaks and racks - 100 lbs​
Bed topper - 200 lbs​
Tent - 75lbs​
Assuming I want a topper (which I would be open to for longer trips due to the dustiness of NV dirt roads), I'm looking at 1000lbs of gear before we even get to clothes/food/cooler/sleeping bags/water when the car is set up for full road trip mode, so I would hope to have at least 300 lbs to play with before we hit the payload limit and 500lbs would be even better. Obviously I could cut weight by forgoing the topper and not taking the bikes and kayaks on the same trip, but we did it this summer with the Transit Connect (payload capacity 1270lbs), albeit with a lighter, two bike rack and it would seem odd to move to a truck and have less payload capacity.​
MPG:
Acceptable: 26 mpg
Desirable: 36 mpg (hybrid)
My biggest reason for being interested in the Maverick over mid/full sized trucks is gas mileage, as where I live things are far apart. The EPA rates the current Ranger at 22mpg. I imagine that they'll be going for more in the next generation, so the Maverick would have to be notably better for me to prioritize it over the bigger truck. I would prefer close to 30mpg and would be willing to pay for a hybrid that put it in the mid-30s even if it wouldn't pay for itself in fuel savings.​
Extra:
I don't know how to list it as a spec, but the driver's headroom/distance from seat to top of windshield has to be sufficient. My dad had a previous gen Ranger that I never liked as the seat height wasn't adjustable and my eye level seemed to be almost at the top of the windshield so I felt like I was looking down out of it. I see that the new gen Ranger has 2 inches greater headroom, but for me it wasn't the headroom so much as the position of the seat vis a vis the windshield, so I'll be watching that with the Maverick esp as the windshield doesn't look large.
So, what are your make or break specs and their thresholds?
Sponsored

Last edited:

99Mustang

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Mustang 07 F150 17 Fiesta
Reading through this forum, a lot of people have a lot of different priorities when describing what they hope the Maverick is. What matters for you and what would be your cut off points for acceptable/desired specs for that facet of the truck?

For me (in rough descending order):
Bed length:
Acceptable 48in (any shorter and it doesn't have much more space than my Transit Connect has behind the second row)
Preferable 56-60 in (I just don't believe it would be longer even if 72 in would be nice).

Tongue weight:
Acceptable/desirable: >= 350lbs
A bike rack and a swingout adapter can be over 100lbs add three bikes and you're already at 200+lbs. Add more and you're definitely over. I'll likely use the bed a good amount of the time for carrying the bikes to trailheads around town but for road trips the bed will have all the camping gear and the bikes will be on the rack.​

Payload:
Acceptable: 1300
Desirable: 1500
Three humans and a dog - 425lbs and increasing​
Bikes with rack - 200lbs​
Kayaks and racks - 100 lbs​
Bed topper - 200 lbs​
Tent - 75lbs​
Assuming I want a topper (which I would be open to for longer trips due to the dustiness of NV dirt roads), I'm looking at 1000lbs of gear before we even get to clothes/food/cooler/sleeping bags/water when the car is set up for full road trip mode, so I would hope to have at least 300 lbs to play with before we hit the payload limit and 500lbs would be even better. Obviously I could cut weight by forgoing the topper and not taking the bikes and kayaks on the same trip, but we did it this summer with the Transit Connect (payload capacity 1270lbs), albeit with a lighter, two bike rack and it would seem odd to move to a truck and have less payload capacity.​
MPG:
Acceptable: 26 mpg
Desirable: 36 mpg (hybrid)
My biggest reason for being interested in the Maverick over mid/full sized trucks is gas mileage, as where I live things are far apart. The EPA rates the current Ranger at 22mpg. I imagine that they'll be going for more in the next generation, so the Maverick would have to be notably better for me to prioritize it over the bigger truck. I would prefer close to 30mpg and would be willing to pay for a hybrid that put it in the mid-30s even if it wouldn't pay for itself in fuel savings.​
Extra:
I don't know how to list it as a spec, but the driver's headroom/distance from seat to top of windshield has to be sufficient. My dad had a previous gen Ranger that I never liked as the seat height wasn't adjustable and my eye level seemed to be almost at the top of the windshield so I felt like I was looking down out of it. I see that the new gen Ranger has 2 inches greater headroom, but for me it wasn't the headroom so much as the position of the seat vis a vis the windshield, so I'll be watching that with the Maverick esp as the windshield doesn't look large.
So, what are your make or break specs and their thresholds?
My only make or break will be overall styling, I won't be using mine for towing or hauling, I just want a sunroof, rear sliding window and a few styling items, tonneau cover ect. Then I'll have a nice little Boulevard cruiser for Daytona Beach and by the latest photos this truck is looking good. AS long as the bed holds some fishing poles a cooler and a couple beach chairs'

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
0-60 in less than 7.5 seconds (doesn't matter if 3 Cyl or not)

Just as wide as the escape or atleast wider than the bronco sport

Enough room in the backseat for a backwards baby seat

Storage under rear bench a big hope

To add to this, it's be a breaking point if they don't aim this at young families, while I understand it's be a perfect tradesman vehicle, it's also good for someone that might eventually grow into a full size truck, but to make this 4 door with tiny backseats would rule out a group of people like myself who want a family car but not your run of the mill RAV4 or tucson

OP
OP

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
0-60 in less than 7.5 seconds (doesn't matter if 3 Cyl or not)

Just as wide as the escape or atleast wider than the bronco sport

Enough room in the backseat for a backwards baby seat

Storage under rear bench a big hope
I'll be interested to see how much room there is for rearfacing child seats. Despite my Transit Connect having a lot of passenger volume, it wasn't the easiest thing to fit with a rearfacing seat (the seat in front had to be slid up a good bit) as most of that volume was vertical rather than horizontal. I really hope I'm past needing a rear facing seat again, but I'll hope on your behalf!

Like you I'm very much hoping to use it as a family vehicle, so the backseats would have to be comfortable for 5-15 year olds as I tend to keep my cars a while.

Sponsored

J_Garn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For me it'll be size. I truly want something compact. Ideally it'll have higher-than-average ground clearance as I prefer to sit up higher than traditional layouts, but as long as it won't feel like I'm steering a boat I think i'll be pleased. That being said, if they throw on all sorts of weird plastic paneling and trying to make it look too sporty, i'll also be out. If the rendering from that Brazilian site is accruate I think i'll be in love.

All of that also being said, if Nissan is honest about the 2022 Frontier nearly maintaining the current gen dimensions, i'll have to give this a real look as well.

Ford Maverick What will be the make or break specs for you on the Maverick? 2022-nissan-frontier-exterior-front-quarter

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
For me it'll be size. I truly want something compact. Ideally it'll have higher-than-average ground clearance as I prefer to sit up higher than traditional layouts, but as long as it won't feel like I'm steering a boat I think i'll be pleased. That being said, if they throw on all sorts of weird plastic paneling and trying to make it look too sporty, i'll also be out. If the rendering from that Brazilian site is accruate I think i'll be in love.

All of that also being said, if Nissan is honest about the 2022 Frontier nearly maintaining the current gen dimensions, i'll have to give this a real look as well.

2022-nissan-frontier-exterior-front-quarter.jpg
I'll be giving the 2022 Nissan Frontier a serious look this October. My 2019 Tacoma lease is up 10/2021 and I want to purchase something long term as I prefer to purchase over lease. I don't like the Tacoma after living with it for about 2.5 years already. Toyota needs to do some additional work (mainly on their powertrain) on them to get me to consider another one. I don't think my time frame will line up with Ford's release of the Maverick for me to consider this time around.

Minimalist

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ford Ranger FX4, '17 Ford Transit Connect
I am personally struggling with the cab style assumptions we are seeing. Until this MaverickTruckClub developed its careful list of probabilities, I had presumed that we would get typical Ford choices, just on a smaller platform.

SuperCrew, SuperCab or maybe the 2Dr Regular (to get a bigger bed in one of the choices)? I still wonder if focus on the SuperCrew as the sales volume leader (it will get the huge %, understandable) could make room for a creative combination in the tradesman and delivery market. This right-sized Ford truck could capture big numbers if it had a longer and very practical 72" bed.

My decision will turn on the bed size: I must carry hand tools like rakes and shovels and trimmers. If no bed size choice allows that, then I'll need to go to something else. 48" is just too small. 60" can work. 72" is ideal (and this list implies that means a bed height Ranger for me?). I also need a 2" receiver for light but real-trailer towing. Ford would be happy because I would option up the trim and accessories choices.

For me personally, I grow steadily more interested in better fuel mileage that should come from the 3cyl motor and 10-speed gearbox. This from a guy that didn't keep track of those numbers but I do now.

So to contribute to this thread: box size is a deal maker/breaker.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

2022-nissan-frontier-exterior-front-quarter.jpg
For me it’s size as well, as in don’t make it too long!

Ford already makes a direct competitor to the Frontier... that’s what the Ranger is for.. and the new Ranger looks awesome.

I keep hearing ppl talk about bed length on the Maverick, but basic marketing tells you not to build vehicles that compete against the other.

Ford is trying to bring back the true small truck segment with actual truck features and capabilities.

For me, the deal breakers are:

#1 Towing capacity. Needs to tow 4,500 lb. minimum. Considering it’s bigger brother can tow 7,500 lb. I don’t think this is a big ask.

#2 4WD or at least the AWD GOAT mode from the baby Bronco

#3 Lariat edition. For creature comforts, cool looks and best functionality in one package. Just transfer over the Ranger Lariat package. 😁

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Maverick, 10 Ranger Sport, 03 VTX1800C
For me, selectable 4/AWD and good power... are major wants... easily lowered or raised suspension... I really want a low stance and AWD for handling and appearance... I know all the trim levels will be named the same as the other truck lines... but IF a Raptor-esque option comes along, I hope they christen it GRABBER

Sponsored

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
Personally for me:

Price: I honestly view vehicles as a point A to point B solution for the most part. It’s very difficult for me to spend too much on a vehicle and why I’ve completely crossed out a full size truck. If they can keep this around 20k for a base model and in the 23k range for the next trim level that would be huge for me.

Second Row: I need to be able to put a car seat in the back of my vehicle as we’re expecting our first in August and plan to have one more. As they grow, there doesn’t need to be a TON of space, but sufficient enough.

Bed Size: I think personally for me 48 inches would be fine, but really think if they can get it up to 50 or 54 that would be more than enough for me.

Gas Mileage: Something in the mid 20 to high 20s would be ideal.

OP
OP

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Personally for me:

Price: I honestly view vehicles as a point A to point B solution for the most part. It’s very difficult for me to spend too much on a vehicle and why I’ve completely crossed out a full size truck. If they can keep this around 20k for a base model and in the 23k range for the next trim level that would be huge for me.

Second Row: I need to be able to put a car seat in the back of my vehicle as we’re expecting our first in August and plan to have one more. As they grow, there doesn’t need to be a TON of space, but sufficient enough.

Bed Size: I think personally for me 48 inches would be fine, but really think if they can get it up to 50 or 54 that would be more than enough for me.

Yeah if you're looking at 4 years of a rear facing child seat, I'd definitely look at the rear seat size. Thankfully my wife is a small lady as we had to move one of the front seats forward in our Transit Connect to make our car seat fit when our son was rear facing.

Ford Maverick What will be the make or break specs for you on the Maverick? 2022 Ford Maverick vs Hyundai Santa Cruz Pricing and Specs

dp4616

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Personally for me:

This is my thoughts exactly. IF the bed size is 48, or even lower, I would HOPE they offer a bed extender cage thing that can hold items when the tailgate is down like I had in my old Frontier. Would make loading longer items like surfboards a bit easier. But like you, Price and Second row are key to me as well.
Sponsored