Sponsored

Maverick competitors: What will you be cross-shopping?

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I mean, sure? The whole point of the thread was to create your own list.

That post gives my own list from almost two years ago (5 months before the Maverick was even officially announced). Neither a PHEV Gladiator nor hybrid/plugin hybrid Ranger emerged, so I ordered a Maverick this Fall. Plus my father bought a regular ICE Gladiator and I didn't love it.

Once the Santa Cruz was released, it was off my list for the reason I mentioned - it's bed was just a bit too small for carrying multiple mountain bikes over the tailgate or a small motorcycle (with the tailgate down). The Wrangler 4xE is expensive/gets bad gas mileage when not on battery), so I ordered a Maverick this month. Then never made a PHEV Gladiator or Ranger, plus my dad got an ICE Gladiator and I don't love it.

The one contender that did emerge was the Rivian R1T. It's midway in size between the Maverick and F150 Lightning. Obviously it's much more expensive than the Maverick, but it's fully electric with good range, off road abilities, performance, and a useful frunk. We put a $1000 deposit down, but it's totally unclear when we might possibly be offered the chance to actually buy one and Rivian has messed with the price several times (first just raising it then backing off for pre-order holders, then getting rid of the base trim to force people to upgrade in the name of "streamlining production".
The Rivian R1T is not a contender compared to the Maverick especially at its current price of $74,075 MSRP.

My 2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid cost me $26,068 total out-the-door. Cost before TT&L was $24,174.

The 2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid on order has a total out-the-door price of $28,379. Cost before TT&L is $26,350.

So the Rivian R1T is 3.06X more expensive than my MY22 Maverick or 2.81X more expensive than my MY23 Maverick on order.

I really do not see how you can consider the Rivian R1T as a competitor to the Maverick.

Ford Maverick Maverick competitors: What will you be cross-shopping? Rivian R1T Prices.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Rivian R1T is not a contender compared to the Maverick especially at its current price of $74,075 MSRP.

My 2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid cost me $26,068 total out-the-door. Cost before TT&L was $24,174.

The 2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid on order has a total out-the-door price of $28,379. Cost before TT&L is $26,350.

So the Rivian R1T is 3.06X more expensive than my MY22 Maverick or 2.81X more expensive than my MY23 Maverick on order.

I really do not see how you can consider the Rivian R1T as a competitor to the Maverick.

Rivian R1T Prices.JPG
It's a competitor for me because I will buy one or the other. I have deposits on both and could afford either if I chose. I of course prefer to pay less rather than more, but I keep my cars for a long time, so if one is a notably better fit, I'll pay for it. When we first reserved the Rivian, it was the R1T Explore configuration with only a couple of options. I think the price was ~71k, minus the tax credit, that puts it at about $64k all in. The Maverick is obviously less than half that.

My first preference to be filled is a small truck that can carry bikes, motorcyles, and isn't too terrible to drive in town. Both fill that.

Then it's just balancing my secondary preferences (only roughly ordered):
1. Paying less
2. Efficiency (for environmental rather than cost reasons)
3. Off road ability
4. On road performance
5. Interior comfort

The Maverick is obviously way ahead on point one, but behind on all the others. I live in a cheap electric but expensive gas area, so that would chip away a little on the cost angle, but it would still be in the Maverick's favor. Not having to burn gas is in the Rivian's. I don't care about rock crawling ability, but just yesterday I turned back from getting to a kayak beach on a long, dirt road because of a wash out in my Transit Connect. The Maverick hybrid would have done a bit better with it's greater ground clearance, but I'd still have the issue of needing speed to get through sandy spots without bogging. The Rivian would have let me make myself a sandwich while walking that road. What I really want is a middle ground Maverick Tremor hybrid (lack of an AWD hybrid is why I didn't order last year), but it doesn't seem forthcoming. So it's just whether I want to pay twice as much over the life of the truck for a vehicle that's a somewhat better fit.

I basically have decided I don't, but I bought the cheapest Maverick because without the AWD hybrid, it's not my perfect car and I wouldn't mind switching it out later for the Rivian. Or if the secondary market keeps going crazy, I'll just buy the Rivian, sell it on, and have a free Maverick that I can then trade in later on an electric truck.

So I recognize that they probably aren't the most commonly cross shopped vehicles, but they're what I cross shopped.
Sponsored