First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I won’t be off-reading. I’ll be going up to my house in the NC mountains in the winter. Do you think the AWD will handle mountain roads in the winter?
I would suggest that you pose that question in a Ford Escape forum where people in a similar situation to yourself can answer from a perspective of an identical AWD system.
Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
I won’t be off-reading. I’ll be going up to my house in the NC mountains in the winter. Do you think the AWD will handle mountain roads in the winter?
We have friends in the Finger Lakes. Escape AWD with OEM tires did better than FWD and snow tires. The caveat is these are short-life OEM tires, barely making 30K miles. Great stick, though...

From what I read, there's no difference between Bronco Sport and Escape entry-level AWD. Less the Badlands package, it looks equivalent at ground level. Hopefully, Maverick AWD will be similar-or-better.

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
OK, I'll bite.

What makes the 8F35 so reliable?

Where are the forums talking about its reliability? I found none. Because, well, its 2 years old, yes? Or does its lineage come from an older 6-speed? Lots of unknowns here especially when compared to the HF45's lineage.

The only thing I know about that tranny is that Ford partnered with GM to build it, but then Ford didn't like what GM built. Hmmm...
Are we talking hybrid trans based upon Toyota’s design, or the 8f35 8 speed co-developed with gm? The hybrid should be fairly reliable, there is hardly anything in them. No clutches, solenoids, etc. just 2 motors and a planetary gear set. Yes, they had a bad run of bearings almost 10 years ago, I hope they have that figured out by now.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm asking about the 8-speed mated to the EB.

All I see about it here is "it's fine". Looks pretty lopsided when there were so many, many details discussed about the Hybrid.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
I'm asking about the 8-speed mated to the EB.

All I see about it here is "it's fine".
The 8-speed is a conventional lock-up torque converter in front of nested planetary gearsets. Nothing exotic or new, so it should be 75% as reliable as the prior 6-speed. I recommend the Weber State YouTube videos on automatic transmissions for demonstration how nested planetary gears work.

It's nothing like the 2-motor planetary gearset in this hybrid.

Sponsored

VernJules

First Name
Veronica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
I would suggest that you pose that question in a Ford Escape forum where people in a similar situation to yourself can answer from a perspective of an identical AWD system.
I ordered the Maverick Lariat AWD with Eco boost the other day
Sponsored