Sponsored

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
It's okay but not for me. I'm concerned what it does to gas mileage. And why the gross glass sides. I'll wait for a straight roof line extension. Not sure yet if I'll need side access.
You wanna see an ugly cap, here's one I had on a Courier back in the day,,,,,

Hahaha, HRG

Courier w cap (2).jpg
Very nice. Looks like a big boat hooked up. Way to go!
Sponsored

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Actually, it was only a 16' Starcraft SS160, but it does give perspective of how much smaller compact trucks were back then,,,,

HRG

Ford Maverick Ford Bed Cap [Snug Top Sport] Spotted on 2022 Maverick During Testing Courier with Starcraft SS160 resized

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
We just caught a production-ready Cactus Grey Ford Maverick on the streets, fitted with our first look at a Ford-branded bed cap. The cap shows signs of styling nuances specifically designed to work with the Maverick’s design (note how the cap’s rear side glass aligns perfectly with the black plastic trim that runs up the trucklet’s C-pillar.

The cap’s roof rises considerably over the Maverick’s roof line, allowing for more storage capacity. A Ford logo is seen on the rear corner of what effectively becomes the Maverick’s D-pillar, proving this to be a Ford-branded accessory, and not an aftermarket item.

ford-maverick-spied-with-bed-cap-topper-1.jpg

ford-maverick-spied-with-bed-cap-topper-2.jpg

ford-maverick-spied-with-bed-cap-topper-3.jpg

ford-maverick-spied-with-bed-cap-topper-4.jpg

ford-maverick-spied-with-bed-cap-topper-5.jpg

ford-maverick-spied-with-bed-cap-topper-6.jpg

ford-maverick-spied-with-bed-cap-topper-7.jpg

ford-maverick-spied-with-bed-cap-topper-8.jpg

ford-maverick-spied-with-bed-cap-topper-9.jpg

ford-maverick-spied-with-bed-cap-topper-10.jpg

ford-maverick-spied-with-bed-cap-topper-11.jpg

ford-maverick-spied-with-bed-cap-topper-12.jpg

ford-maverick-spied-with-bed-cap-topper-13.jpg
Very nice indeed! One of the few advantages with the short beds these days is that the bed Cap won't be such a bear to take on and off.

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
It's okay but not for me. I'm concerned what it does to gas mileage. And why the gross glass sides. I'll wait for a straight roof line extension. Not sure yet if I'll need side access.

My guess is that the extra height will have little or no effect on gas mileage.

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
Don't care for this topper. I think there will be aluminum toppers available that would suit my needs better. It would be light enough for me to remove and put on by myself. Ideally, I would pair this with a between the rails fold up tonneau that could be left on the truck and the topper would fit over.
We had an old 8-ft aluminum cap on our old F-150 that was incredibly light. I could take it off myself, although it wasn't easy.

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For people that have seen cactus gray irl, does this look true to color? Looks lighter than I was expecting.
I've seen the same cactus gray bronco sport around my town this past week. Both were in what I believe to be similar lighting conditions, and I would say this is showing as slightly lighter in the photo, but true to color. The lighter photo is probably attributed to the exposure of the photo itself.

wiseguy3501

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've seen the same cactus gray bronco sport around my town this past week. Both were in what I believe to be similar lighting conditions, and I would say this is showing as slightly lighter in the photo, but true to color. The lighter photo is probably attributed to the exposure of the photo itself.
You're absolutely correct. I figured it was over exposed, but it still made me nervous. Luckily I went in to my dealer today to get their crap worked out and they had a cactus gray bronco sport sitting inside. Was everything I hoped for and more.

Karmic

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
If you're buying for MPG get a tonneau cover.
Does it improve MPG? Less wind resistance makes sense. I don't know why I'd need a cover. I'm not going to store stuff in the bed. (I've never had a truck - so may learn A LOT after I get it.)

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
It will. 4 to 5 mpg.
Uh... If that were true they would sell every truck with one mandatory to increase their cafe ratings.

Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
I'm one for function-over-form, but to me, that shell/cap/topper makes the Maverick look like a hearse. I'll buy it if it's the only option, but I hope ARE can figure out how to make a DCU for the Maverick. I've had DCU's on my last two trucks and love the utility they provide.

I have the built-in toolbox option on the driver's side, which gives me storage space in what would otherwise be dead space where a window would be. And I have a full door on the passenger side, which makes reaching for items that are against the forward wall of the bed a breeze.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Uh... If that were true they would sell every truck with one mandatory to increase their cafe ratings.
Even dropping your tailgate improves gas mileage.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Even dropping your tailgate improves gas mileage.
These claims have floated around for years and been resoundingly proven false in real world test.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/08/pickup-truck-tailgates-and-fuel-economy/index.htm#:~:text=We found that adding a,decreased efficiency to 21.5 mpg.

Just to add to what I'm saying, if there was some configuration that improved mileage, truck makers would preconfigure the trucks to work that way. With CAFE standards what they are, they want every ounce of fuel efficiency they can get. Truck beds are designed to create an air vortex when the tailgate is up that maximizes fuel efficiency. Disrupting that vortex by putting on a cover or dropping the tailgate will change the aerodynamics the truck was designed to have, and lower efficiency.

Last edited:

HikerNW

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Engine
Undecided
Does it improve MPG? Less wind resistance makes sense. I don't know why I'd need a cover. I'm not going to store stuff in the bed. (I've never had a truck - so may learn A LOT after I get it.)
You'll learn which friends want to you to help them move, or borrow your truck. :)

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
Legit. And I really am only buying for the MPG. So anything that cut those numbers would have to be easy to install/remove.
Also interested in small pop up tents.
Most likely the cap would increase overall mileage. The notch behind a truck cab leaves a huge wake. The turbulence behind the single cab full size truck at interstate speeds extends over a half mile back, based on what I've noticed riding behind one on a motorcycle. I think that is the main reason that the bed sides keep getting higher on trucks. It's also another advantage for a crew cab, although I kind of hate to admit it!
Sponsored