Sponsored

Maverick Hybrid Confirmed

Dan_E26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus, 2018 Sonata SEL
Put it in sport mode, stomp on the pedal and I feel like it takes off quicker than my Ranger. And with the electric motor in there, the power just keeps pulling you almost constantly through the whole band. Honestly I wouldn't be concerned about having that same eCVT in another hybrid.
Good to hear some positive thoughts about the hybrid powertrain! I personally can't stand that slipping feeling I get from most CVTs, but as I understand, the eCVT is nothing like the traditional belt-and-pulley setup. Rather, it's two separate electric motors connected in-line with the output from the engine, and a planetary gearset between the motors allows them to create variable ratios. If it's as nice as you say, it's certainly gonna be my first test-drive whenever the Mav hits showrooms.

Since the escape has the eCVT setup, more than likely the Mav will as well, as it seems they're sharing a lot of parts. It's certainly possible they could do some other hybrid system and connect it to the 8-spd, but I doubt it.
Sponsored

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
In my youth people always said an automatic in an off roader was a bad choice. You had to have a manual. Now people feel the exact opposite. The majority says an automatic in an off roader is better. I think that is because automatics were not so great in my youth. They were, among other things, less efficient than manuals generally. Now they are in most cases more efficient. There have been some really bad CVTs, no doubt about it. Does that mean all CVTs are bad? Nope. Just like any other combo, the right CVT with the right engine/motor will work very well. Plus, on newer vehicles you are going to have a harder time finding a bad CVT. I had a 2006 Ford Freestyle with a CVT. It worked great until some goofball at the dealership forgot that CVT fluid and automatic transmission fluid are not the same thing. FYI, CVT fluid is blue, automatic transmission fluid is red. Based on my experience with that Freestyle, I have zero concerns about any flavor of CVT in a new vehicle.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would like to see just a Hybrid option, not plug in. I have a 2014 Cmax and my overall MPG is 44, which includes driving in winter and summer. From what I understand there is no tax incentive for just the hybrid model.
I wrote my Senators to ask that hybrids be included

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would like to see just a Hybrid option, not plug in. I have a 2014 Cmax and my overall MPG is 44, which includes driving in winter and summer. From what I understand there is no tax incentive for just the hybrid model.
If I understand how a plug-in hybrid works the electric power is used exclusively until a recharge is needed in which case you can either plug in in or have the gas engine kick in to power the vehicle and recharge the batteries, correct? So, for short trips one could often use electric power only and use no gas at all. Considering 90% of my driving is short trips, this sounds pretty good.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Completely dependent on battery size. For example CR-V hybrid has a tiny battery good for only about 1 mile of battery only range. So Honda programmed it to basically only turn on during acceleration.

Sponsored

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Completely dependent on battery size. For example CR-V hybrid has a tiny battery good for only about 1 mile of battery only range. So Honda programmed it to basically only turn on during acceleration.
What purpose does that serve? Might as well not be a hybrid at all!

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Theoretically Honda uses a smaller gas engine for increased fuel economy and only kicks in the electric motor for more power. Different way to get higher fuel economy from every other hybrid.

Reactions: Doc

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The standard CRV gets 28mpg in the city. The Hybrid gets 40 in the city. If you do a lot of city driving, that's a big difference.

On the other hand, as the battery barely kicks in when driving a consistent speed on the highway, the difference is only 1 mpg (34 vs 35), so it you drive a lot of highway vs. city miles, it likely isn't worth it. It just depends on how you use the vehicle and what is the best fit.

Reactions: Doc

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
I like the way my Volt works. The gas engine is just a generator. The electric motor drives the wheels. When the battery runs out the engine kicks on to make electricity. Just like a diesel electric train engine. It seems like many plug in hybrids work differently and the electric motor is just there to boost the gas engine. Which is how the plug in hybrid Escape works. Seems more complicated that way.

Sponsored

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like the way my Volt works. The gas engine is just a generator. The electric motor drives the wheels. When the battery runs out the engine kicks on to make electricity. Just like a diesel electric train engine. It seems like many plug in hybrids work differently and the electric motor is just there to boost the gas engine. Which is how the plug in hybrid Escape works. Seems more complicated that way.
I always wanted a Volt and I'm surprised they never really caught on. It's going to take a while for fully electric vehicles to be practical so PHEVs like the Volt always seemed like the common sense natural progression to all electric vehicles.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would think you'd want something that for short trips would run electrically only so long as there was a charged battery. If the battery ran low before you could charge it with a charger, the gas engine would kick on. But if you could get to a charger before the battery ran out, in theory you could never use any gas, always running on electricity. That's how I thought plug-in hybrids worked, no?

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Some do work that way like my Volt. Others, like the Pacifica Minivan, Prius Prime, and the Escape have an electric motor that is smaller and fits into the drive train near where the torque converter sits. The electric motors tend to have lower horsepower ratings and only drive the vehicle without help from the gas engine under certain loads and below certain speeds. They are helpers to the gas engine. The system on the Pacifica, for example, is not controlable by the driver. Accelerate hard and the gas engine kicks in, go fast enough and the gas engine kicks in.

My Volt will do 85 (the speed limit) on the highway until the battery runs out and then the gas engine kicks on and starts generating electricity. So the gas engine is really more of a helper to the electric motor. I can choose to run on gas or battery. So, If I have a long trip panned, but know I will want to run on the battery when I get there, I can activate the mode that saves the battery and run the gas engine on the highway, then switch to the battery when I get where I'm going.

I like the system in the Volt and I think they never sold well because Chevy spent next to nothing on marketing them. Who knew that in 2012 you could even buy a US built plug in hybrid with 35 miles of all electric range? Chevy did, but they forgot to tell anyone else.
Sponsored