First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve already heard from MRT and appreciate them reaching out to help.

I want to make it clear I don’t believe the struts had anything to do with my current issue. I think it is potential misalignment. That’s what I want to make everyone aware of. Misalignment and little to no margin by Ford. There is apparently no way to access the latch from the outside without removing the grill and you can’t remove the grill without having the hood open. 🙁

I guess I may to call my dealer and see what their mechanic has to say. 🤔
Sponsored

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve already heard from MRT and appreciate them reaching out to help.

I want to make it clear I don’t believe the struts had anything to do with my current issue. I think it is potential misalignment. That’s what I want to make everyone aware of. Misalignment and little to no margin by Ford. There is apparently no way to access the latch from the outside without removing the grill and you can’t remove the grill without having the hood open. 🙁

I guess I may to call my dealer and see what their mechanic has to say. 🤔
So, would it be possible for you to pull the release while someone else jiggles the hood, just a thought.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, would it be possible for you to pull the release while someone else jiggles the hood, just a thought.
I appreciate that, but since the release handle doesn’t seem to be linked to the latches anymore I get no release.

Thanks.

OP
OP
MRTperformance

MRTperformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ShopMRT.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Our head engineer just suggested to me to try to check the release lever in the cabin it the connection from the release cable to the lever it self may have become misaligned or disconnected completely. Just something to look into while we keep digging.

SigonLegacy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I appreciate that, but since the release handle doesn’t seem to be linked to the latches anymore I get no release.

Thanks.
Our head engineer just suggested to me to try to check the release lever in the cabin it the connection from the release cable to the lever it self may have become misaligned or disconnected completely. Just something to look into while we keep digging.
Running into the same issue, myself. I had checked the release itself in the cab and nothing seems to have come loose there.

Installed struts, made sure the hood opened a few times and called it a day. A few days later, I go to check the oil level and the first pop opens just fine but then no resistance on the second and no release. Once snapped closed, the release doesn't work at all.

Let me know if any other information is needed before I head over to the dealership! Would rather fix this myself

Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Running into the same issue, myself. I had checked the release itself in the cab and nothing seems to have come loose there.

Installed struts, made sure the hood opened a few times and called it a day. A few days later, I go to check the oil level and the first pop opens just fine but then no resistance on the second and no release. Once snapped closed, the release doesn't work at all.

Let me know if any other information is needed before I head over to the dealership! Would rather fix this myself
Update: I did find the cable had come off the handle in the truck. We reattach and was able to get the first latch to release, however I am now seeint the same thing are describing.

It seems the struts in the closed position are putting just enough pressure on the latch to keep it from lifting on its own.

If you pull the handle several times it does release the lock, but you need someone to lift the hood I order to open the hood.

Since others have used these struts without issue, I’m thinking it is the hood alignment that is ultra sensitive. I am thinking this may correct itself once the struts wear in a little.

SigonLegacy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Update: I did find the cable had come off the handle in the truck. We reattach and was able to get the first latch to release, however I am now seeint the same thing are describing.

It seems the struts in the closed position are putting just enough pressure on the latch to keep it from lifting on its own.

If you pull the handle several times it does release the lock, but you need someone to lift the hood I order to open the hood.

Since others have used these struts without issue, I’m thinking it is the hood alignment that is ultra sensitive. I am thinking this may correct itself once the struts wear in a little.
So I got a second person to wiggle the hood open while I was pulling the latch and it opened up. After removing the struts, it opens and closes without issues.

I think the struts on some trucks put a little too much pressure on the hood since I didn't change my hood alignment.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I got a second person to wiggle the hood open while I was pulling the latch and it opened up. After removing the struts, it opens and closes without issues.

I think the struts on some trucks put a little too much pressure on the hood since I didn't change my hood alignment.
I just tried putting a silicone spray lubricant on the latch components, but still no Joy on it releasing totally without assistance. Still thinking 🤔.

TheRef

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
ME TOO - can not open hood after installing MRT struts. HELP!!

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

SigonLegacy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
ME TOO - can not open hood after installing MRT struts. HELP!!
A previous poster mentioned that the cable popped lose at the latch lever on their's. After acquiring a service manual and looking it up, you can get to it this way:

1: Remove the trim that has the Built Ford Tough logo on it on the driver's side and the one below it.
2: There's a clip on the top of the hood latch that needs to pull straight up and out out so you can remove the latch lever.
3: Remove the rest of the trim that curves down to the floor.
4: Look for a plastic bit on the end of the cable. This needs to be hooked into its spot which is a tiny indent in the plastic.
5: Re-insert the lever.
6: Make sure that the cable's clip is held in place and pull the lever. You may need another person to wiggle the hood when you pull it the second time.

You might just try holding the lever in the open position without disassembling anything and see if you can get someone to wiggle the hood open.

I had ripped all mine apart to make sure that cable was seated (it was), but I noted that disassembled it would pop loose really easily. A neighbor wiggled the hood a bit when I held the lever in the release position and it popped open.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
MRTperformance

MRTperformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ShopMRT.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
Undecided
We are working hard on resolving this issue. We did not experience this issue when designing and testing the hood strut kits. We have checked in with a few of our earliest customers and they are not experiencing any issues. MRT is currently trying to get another Maverick into the shop so we can begin troubleshooting with the vehicle. We will get to the bottom of this and resolve any issues. If anyone else is having any issues please reach out to me here through PM or email MRT at [email protected]

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
We are working hard on resolving this issue. We did not experience this issue when designing and testing the hood strut kits. We have checked in with a few of our earliest customers and they are not experiencing any issues. MRT is currently trying to get another Maverick into the shop so we can begin troubleshooting with the vehicle. We will get to the bottom of this and resolve any issues. If anyone else is having any issues please reach out to me here through PM or email MRT at [email protected]
Growing pains...that's gonna happen... thank you for doing the development for our vehicles.

OniZanza

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mr. Boom has an incoming video installing these on his rig. Should be interesting to see if he experiences the same issue. I hope MRT can get this resolved as I am also considering buying one of these kits.
Sponsored