Sponsored

bob1947

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
My Shadow black Maverick XLT tow package all wheel drive 2.0 Eco boost also has over 2200 miles
Love the truck like many first year vehicles are usually not the ones to buy..but this is not my first
rodeo in 1969 yes 69 i bought a first year Ford Maverick Car so new it didn't have a locking steering column like these there were bare bone models mine three speed on the column Radio, Heater, 200 cid straight six was in US Navy at the time put 90,000 miles on it in four year wore out the valve guides never a compliant.
This vehicle i hope for the same a little noise coming from the motor area i think the pressure fuel pump have an apt to check it out only other I encountered was at the car wash trying to get it in natural it kept the break on I think I finally figured it out
Going to add Red raise letters to the tail gate and a dampener on it also DO NOT like the perillies
just to skinny gota wait 30,000 for new ones
Good luck to all who bravely ordered this new model I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Sponsored

rcheneyjr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I put a stubby jr on mine and I like the profile but thereā€™s definitely a loss (maybe not in major metro areas, but Iā€™m in a rural area). That said, I really donā€™t use the radio so I went in expecting that to happen and being fine with it (wife likes the stock one better tho šŸ¤£)
Size matters!

Robrmrz7

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and ordered a maverick lariat
Two Thousand Miles in

After a month of ownership and a few thousand miles of travel, I have gotten to know my new Maverick a little better and its pros and cons. This is my first new Ford and only the second ever in my family (and that was a brief engagement). I share this only to note I had no brand loyalty or significant history with it.

I have a Lariat with the FX4 package, Tow package and Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires.

During the month the I have been able to put the Maverick through its paces. Itā€™s driven on country roads, Interstate and gravel/dirt in both dry and extremely wet conditions. Iā€™ve been able to legitimately use the different drive modes (except towing) and the various drive aids that came with the model and trim I have. I have done few DIY projects in the bed. I have sat in it on Zoom calls. I reclined the seat and attempted to nap waiting for one of my kids to get out of school. Itā€™s carried a bed full of alfalfa and feed and a back seat full of groceries. Itā€™s experienced real-life use.

The Gripes/misfires

The gripes are minimal. To steal a line from Neil Young, ā€œJust because your problems are meaningless doesnā€™t make them go away.ā€ Given the price point Ford was laudably trying to maintain, I get that choices had to me made.

The various cubbies and storage hitches are great. Couldnā€™t one be for a phone with a charge/Car Play cable attached? How about a secure spot for the key fob, maybe even one that recharges the fob battery?

Initially I was impressed with the automatic hi/lo beam headlights. I thought they were slick. While they work very, very well, on undulating roads or going through town they tend to flick back and forth strobe-light style and will flash cars from behind. Itā€™s easy to address of course. It was one of those things I loved at first but I have turned it off likely never to be used again.

The fuse box in the engine bay. Good grief. Itā€™s designed like an escape room, you have to find clues to get it open. Cheap clips and an over engineered design make getting to the fuses unnecessarily complicated. And no fuse map on the lid as has been common in vehicles forever. Cā€™mon man!

The lever used to hold up the hood is right out of a 1973 Datsun. I chuckled ā€œThat helped with the price pointā€ when I first used it. Unimportant I realize as it does the job.

Engine sound going from 0-15ā€¦isā€¦whiny.

Location of some controls. Overall the switchgear in the Maverick is wonderfully basic and easy to use. One set of controls on the center console between the Drive selector (which I like) and a set of storage bins is in an unfortunate location. Given the landscape of the dash it would seem this set of controls could have been incorporated there instead of an area where you are apt to inadvertently hit one and where dirt and dust are going to collect.

Storage.jpg

Some of the wiring running from the bed to the engine bay seems dangerously exposed to the elements. Simple clips hold most of it in place and some connections seem to be at risk from road grime exposure and build up.

I connected Ford Pass when I bought the vehicle. I played around a bit, locked and unlocked the car, started it remotely etc. I have never opened the App again. Weā€™ll see if it adds value over time.

The Positives-

It drives so very well. Quiet, composed in all situations. Plenty of power. Driven very conservatively, you can eek out 30 Mpg. No Buzzing, whistles or unusual cabin noise. Entry and exit are easy.

The interior is basic but a very nice place to be. I have not understood why car manufactures went away from making utilitarian models. No faux carbon, no chrome, no Walnut. Easy to clean and you are not sweating a scuff. Keeps costs down and fits the needs of most buyers. I do not have heated seats but the cabin gets cozy very quickly on cold mornings.

Electronic interfaces are easy to navigate. Whether on the Touchscreen or the Gauge Cluster the menus and controls are intuitive. This is no small thing and I think they nailed it.

Physical buttons and switches are for the most part simple and exactly where you expect them to be. It is so refreshing to be able to control the climate and sound with simple knobs and buttons and not a touchscreen.

It looks great. The more I am around it, the shape from all angles is active and attractive. Just enough ZOOM to it. It looks confident and comfortable in its own skin.

Truck.jpg

The headlights are fantastic. The low beams give you a very full view from side to side without blinding oncoming traffic. The best I have ever had.

The bed is useful. Whether my bike, DIY gear and ski rack or Alfalfa it has already proven to be useful and flexible. The rear light gives you enough to see your stuff at night.

The windshield wipers-I live in a place that rainsā€¦a lot. Wipers, their controls and speed variance actually matter here in a way most parts of the country may not care about. The simple design and options for delay are perfect for the wild and varied weather we have part of the year.

Auto Stop/Start-in every previous car I have driven with these systems they have felt harried and rough. The Maverick however has little drama. The response is immediate and the system is quiet and feels seamless.

Brake Assist-This is controlled by one of the buttons whose location I question. It turns on a brake ā€œholdā€ that keeps you from rolling forward when in Drive with your foot off the gas after you come to a complete stop. In stop and go traffic it is such a nice feature.

One oddity. I embedded a video showing an odd but consistent phenomenon. On the hood when driving in the rain water collects in a pool in two locations. It drains away perfectly when standing still, and the pools drain immediately when you stop, turn or accelerate. But if you drive 45-60 MPH 1 inch pools of water will dance in those locations for miles.
I have never bought a car in the first year of its introduction for all the traditional reasons. So far all I can say is that the Maverick is meeting or exceeding my expectations. It feels confident and competent, well-constructed and thoughtfully designed. My only regret is thinking about the minor improvements in the next model that I will not get to enjoy.

.great review

Okpete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape 2018/ maverick lariat
I wonder if there's a schematic of the wiring system. If the wires as you stated is exposed. I'd like to known if you'd provide a video of the locations of wiring you feel needs better protection from weather and wear.
I may be a old lady (70 yo, R&D Project Mgr still) but I'm handy at wiring etc.! I plan to do a very extensive visual inspection of my Maverick when it arrives before I even drive it very far!
I do have another concern, since I'm only 4' 10" so I'm
concerned about reaching the pedals if my seat is raised to it's highest settings. Anyone know if I will be able to reach the pedals? Never had the opportunity to drive the Maverick with the electric seat feature I've ordered. Any information is greatly appreciated!
You should be just fine. The seat control puts you up an forward. I would prefer just up seperate control for back and forth.

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think I'm likely to get the stubby anyway just for looks.
I'm OK with the stock antenna. I'd rather have a long, ugly thing that provided great reception than a cute little thing that didn't work as well.

Brianc

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ford escape
Two Thousand Miles in

After a month of ownership and a few thousand miles of travel, I have gotten to know my new Maverick a little better and its pros and cons. This is my first new Ford and only the second ever in my family (and that was a brief engagement). I share this only to note I had no brand loyalty or significant history with it.

I have a Lariat with the FX4 package, Tow package and Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires.

During the month the I have been able to put the Maverick through its paces. Itā€™s driven on country roads, Interstate and gravel/dirt in both dry and extremely wet conditions. Iā€™ve been able to legitimately use the different drive modes (except towing) and the various drive aids that came with the model and trim I have. I have done few DIY projects in the bed. I have sat in it on Zoom calls. I reclined the seat and attempted to nap waiting for one of my kids to get out of school. Itā€™s carried a bed full of alfalfa and feed and a back seat full of groceries. Itā€™s experienced real-life use.

The Gripes/misfires

The gripes are minimal. To steal a line from Neil Young, ā€œJust because your problems are meaningless doesnā€™t make them go away.ā€ Given the price point Ford was laudably trying to maintain, I get that choices had to me made.

The various cubbies and storage hitches are great. Couldnā€™t one be for a phone with a charge/Car Play cable attached? How about a secure spot for the key fob, maybe even one that recharges the fob battery?

Initially I was impressed with the automatic hi/lo beam headlights. I thought they were slick. While they work very, very well, on undulating roads or going through town they tend to flick back and forth strobe-light style and will flash cars from behind. Itā€™s easy to address of course. It was one of those things I loved at first but I have turned it off likely never to be used again.

The fuse box in the engine bay. Good grief. Itā€™s designed like an escape room, you have to find clues to get it open. Cheap clips and an over engineered design make getting to the fuses unnecessarily complicated. And no fuse map on the lid as has been common in vehicles forever. Cā€™mon man!

The lever used to hold up the hood is right out of a 1973 Datsun. I chuckled ā€œThat helped with the price pointā€ when I first used it. Unimportant I realize as it does the job.

Engine sound going from 0-15ā€¦isā€¦whiny.

Location of some controls. Overall the switchgear in the Maverick is wonderfully basic and easy to use. One set of controls on the center console between the Drive selector (which I like) and a set of storage bins is in an unfortunate location. Given the landscape of the dash it would seem this set of controls could have been incorporated there instead of an area where you are apt to inadvertently hit one and where dirt and dust are going to collect.

Storage.jpg

Some of the wiring running from the bed to the engine bay seems dangerously exposed to the elements. Simple clips hold most of it in place and some connections seem to be at risk from road grime exposure and build up.

I connected Ford Pass when I bought the vehicle. I played around a bit, locked and unlocked the car, started it remotely etc. I have never opened the App again. Weā€™ll see if it adds value over time.

The Positives-

It drives so very well. Quiet, composed in all situations. Plenty of power. Driven very conservatively, you can eek out 30 Mpg. No Buzzing, whistles or unusual cabin noise. Entry and exit are easy.

The interior is basic but a very nice place to be. I have not understood why car manufactures went away from making utilitarian models. No faux carbon, no chrome, no Walnut. Easy to clean and you are not sweating a scuff. Keeps costs down and fits the needs of most buyers. I do not have heated seats but the cabin gets cozy very quickly on cold mornings.

Electronic interfaces are easy to navigate. Whether on the Touchscreen or the Gauge Cluster the menus and controls are intuitive. This is no small thing and I think they nailed it.

Physical buttons and switches are for the most part simple and exactly where you expect them to be. It is so refreshing to be able to control the climate and sound with simple knobs and buttons and not a touchscreen.

It looks great. The more I am around it, the shape from all angles is active and attractive. Just enough ZOOM to it. It looks confident and comfortable in its own skin.

Truck.jpg

The headlights are fantastic. The low beams give you a very full view from side to side without blinding oncoming traffic. The best I have ever had.

The bed is useful. Whether my bike, DIY gear and ski rack or Alfalfa it has already proven to be useful and flexible. The rear light gives you enough to see your stuff at night.

The windshield wipers-I live in a place that rainsā€¦a lot. Wipers, their controls and speed variance actually matter here in a way most parts of the country may not care about. The simple design and options for delay are perfect for the wild and varied weather we have part of the year.

Auto Stop/Start-in every previous car I have driven with these systems they have felt harried and rough. The Maverick however has little drama. The response is immediate and the system is quiet and feels seamless.

Brake Assist-This is controlled by one of the buttons whose location I question. It turns on a brake ā€œholdā€ that keeps you from rolling forward when in Drive with your foot off the gas after you come to a complete stop. In stop and go traffic it is such a nice feature.

One oddity. I embedded a video showing an odd but consistent phenomenon. On the hood when driving in the rain water collects in a pool in two locations. It drains away perfectly when standing still, and the pools drain immediately when you stop, turn or accelerate. But if you drive 45-60 MPH 1 inch pools of water will dance in those locations for miles.
I have never bought a car in the first year of its introduction for all the traditional reasons. So far all I can say is that the Maverick is meeting or exceeding my expectations. It feels confident and competent, well-constructed and thoughtfully designed. My only regret is thinking about the minor improvements in the next model that I will not get to enjoy.

how is the headroom with the sunroof? I have been debating whether or not to modify my similar Lariat order to add that feature.

HybridOnOrder

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Going to be: Maverick XLT, Lux PKG, Moonroof, 360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm OK with the stock antenna. I'd rather have a long, ugly thing that provided great reception than a cute little thing that didn't work as well.
oh my! :D

OP
OP
Phranc68

Phranc68

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Ram 3500, Honda Odyssey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
how is the headroom with the sunroof? I have been debating whether or not to modify my similar Lariat order to add that feature.
I'm 6'2" and have plenty of head room and can find comfortable driving positions without any issues. It has good insulation so when closed it is very quiet in the cabin.

IdahoMaverickMom

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Faye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You should be just fine. The seat control puts you up an forward. I would prefer just up seperate control for back and forth.
Thank you for your response! It's been hard to decide whether I want to keep my order in place or order another truck/vehicle that I can try and sit in to ensure it fits my shorter stature. Just getting tired of waiting since I still don't have a VIN number for my XLT!
Sponsored