YazYaz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Paid MSRP + $500 admin fee. $2750 private offer and $750 rebate.

Build date 5/1. Left Mexico 5/5. Arrived New Hampshire 5/29.

'23 Lariat Hybrid with Co-Pilot 360, remote start and engine heater

Arrived with almost no rail dust and no need to clay bar.

Love almost everything. The top 3 are MPG/Ride/Appearance.

I drive about 550 miles per week with about 80% highway and 20% other. I am averaging about 45 mpg without even trying and I am a rather "aggressive" driver. The acoustic windshield results in a very quiet cab and the suspension, wheels and tires create a great ride. I love the Lariat interior including the "plastic" surfaces. (If you are worried about scratches, coat the interior with "303 Automotive". Use a sponge when applying. Don't spray.) Definitely the most fun vehicle I have owned in many years.

Now let me dispel some worries:

- There is no brake issue. Due to my job I conservatively estimate that I have rented cars over 500 times. This means I have probably driven over 250 different makes and models of vehicles and I can assure you each vehicle's brakes "feel" slightly different and unique for the first 10 minutes. There is nothing unusual about the Maverick's brakes. There is no grabbing or sudden stopping or anything else unusual. If there ever really was an issue it has been corrected.

- There is no "thin" paint. A professional detailer with 15 years' experience (my nephew) examined and inspected the paint and found nothing unusual.

- There was almost no rail dust on the vehicle and it traveled by train form Mexico to New Hampshire.

No review would be complete without some dislikes.

- Not specific to just Mavericks but I would much rather have a "handle type" shifter vs a knob.
- The ambient lighting is much too weak.
- I find the location of the ignition switch to be too low and out of place.
- I wish the drive mode would remain in the last used setting until changed.
- I havn't had Ford Navigation for the past 5 years. It still sucks. Thank God for Android Auto and Google Maps.

I have added:

- Bakflip MX4 bed cover
- Ford rubber bed mat
- Ford mud flaps
- Tailgate assist
- UTSAUTO rear view mirror
- Hitch cover

- OMAC Texan floor maps

Ford Maverick Two Week Review - Hybrid Lariat Lux w/ Co-Pilot 360 20230612_091639

- Pro Clip phone mount

Ford Maverick Two Week Review - Hybrid Lariat Lux w/ Co-Pilot 360 20230610_093141

Ford Maverick Two Week Review - Hybrid Lariat Lux w/ Co-Pilot 360 20230610_093200

Ford Maverick Two Week Review - Hybrid Lariat Lux w/ Co-Pilot 360 IMG_0005

- Muslogy dash insert

Ford Maverick Two Week Review - Hybrid Lariat Lux w/ Co-Pilot 360 20230612_091608

- Muslogy center console insert

Ford Maverick Two Week Review - Hybrid Lariat Lux w/ Co-Pilot 360 20230612_091712

- Muslogy leather armrest cushion

Ford Maverick Two Week Review - Hybrid Lariat Lux w/ Co-Pilot 360 20230612_091658

Cargo Net

Ford Maverick Two Week Review - Hybrid Lariat Lux w/ Co-Pilot 360 20230612_091927

- Uhaul 2" shank and 2" ball mount

Ford Maverick Two Week Review - Hybrid Lariat Lux w/ Co-Pilot 360 IMG_0007
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ponchsox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice review and I’m glad you like it! I honestly can’t see how you are getting 45 mpg doing 80% highway while driving with a heavy foot. Best I get is 37 mpg and I’m also 80% highway at 75-80 mph. And that’s in eco mode. Not saying it’s impossible, but I'm curious how you are getting that mileage.

Chicolini

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150s, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for sharing your good news with the rest of us. The Maverick Hybrid is an amazing vehicle and I also find it a lot of fun to drive.

My Hybrid brakes work fine, too, August 22 build date.

Happy trucking!

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great review and glad Maverick is doing what Maverick was built to do. Have Lariat Hybrid Lux loaded and love it. My wife's is set to be built tomorrow and she is excited.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I drove a Prius C for years before owning the Maverick. I, too, found the brakes to be no issue whatsoever. I've never experienced the issues some have reported, and mine was built in June/July 2022.
For @Ponchsox - I also get considerably worse mileage than he's reporting for highway, driving @ 75 mph... Someone posted a YouTube video driving his Maverick Hybrid over the exact same stretch of highway back-to-back at different speeds, and reported a huge benefit for slowing down - even just a little bit. Since then, I've taken to driving (in the right lane, of course) at a little below the speed limit, and have seen commensurate improvements in mpg... Here's the date from his video, condensed so you don't have to watch it unless you want to.
SpeedMPGImprovement due to slowing
8028.3N/A
7036.2~ 28 %
6045.9~ 62 %
5053.6~ 89 %

I've also found that using "Slippery" mode allows the Maverick to "coast" (using zero fuel) over every rise along the highway, then engage "electric mode" for a while before having to re-engage the ICE. I haven't had the patience to re-create his test using "Slippery" mode (at least not yet), but I suspect the improvements would be notable.

Sponsored

OP
OP

YazYaz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice review and I’m glad you like it! I honestly can’t see how you are getting 45 mpg doing 80% highway while driving with a heavy foot. Best I get is 37 mpg and I’m also 80% highway at 75-80 mph. And that’s in eco mode. Not saying it’s impossible, but I'm curious how you are getting that mileage.
I have the same doubts. When I have my next fill up I'm going to check it manually.
Actually, I am probably driving a little slower now.

Ford Maverick Two Week Review - Hybrid Lariat Lux w/ Co-Pilot 360 20230615_072818

Deleted member 1483

Great post! Are you using the Eco drive mode to get those numbers?

My hybrid has an issue where it grabs suddenly at really low speeds. It’s not very common. The brakes are fine 99% of the time.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

wow, really only 28.3 at 80? I travel 80-84 often in my ecoboost awd. at that speed and it's 25-28 depending on wind speed & direction.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I believe he got on the freeway one exit early, then reset the mpg reading at the same exit each time, with the speed already established, and recorded the result at the same specific point along the highway before slowing for the next exit. He would drive back to the starting point and do it again. So I believe the relative numbers are spot-on. The specific mileage would vary with temperature, wind, etc. so I don't pay a lot of attention to it. It's just amazing the mileage you can get by slowing down just a little.

And on most drives around town, there is VERY little difference in arrival times... Tuesday night, my daughter was one car ahead of me on the road leading to the on-ramp. She took the freeway for about 4 miles (65 mph speed limit), while I drove the feeder road (45 mph max, plus four stop lights) and when I got to the cross-street she was 2 cars ahead of me, and I got 50+ mpg for that short drive.

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Have you tried adjusting the brightness of the ambient lights through the settings in the radio?

Sponsored
OP
OP

YazYaz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great post! Are you using the Eco drive mode to get those numbers?

My hybrid has an issue where it grabs suddenly at really low speeds. It’s not very common. The brakes are fine 99% of the time.
Yes. Mostly ECO mode.

OP
OP

YazYaz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you tried adjusting the brightness of the ambient lights through the settings in the radio?
Yes but it is still very dim.

Reactions: Aza
OP
OP

YazYaz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drove a Prius C for years before owning the Maverick. I, too, found the brakes to be no issue whatsoever. I've never experienced the issues some have reported, and mine was built in June/July 2022.
For @Ponchsox - I also get considerably worse mileage than he's reporting for highway, driving @ 75 mph... Someone posted a YouTube video driving his Maverick Hybrid over the exact same stretch of highway back-to-back at different speeds, and reported a huge benefit for slowing down - even just a little bit. Since then, I've taken to driving (in the right lane, of course) at a little below the speed limit, and have seen commensurate improvements in mpg... Here's the date from his video, condensed so you don't have to watch it unless you want to.
SpeedMPGImprovement due to slowing
8028.3N/A
7036.2~ 28 %
6045.9~ 62 %
5053.6~ 89 %

I've also found that using "Slippery" mode allows the Maverick to "coast" (using zero fuel) over every rise along the highway, then engage "electric mode" for a while before having to re-engage the ICE. I haven't had the patience to re-create his test using "Slippery" mode (at least not yet), but I suspect the improvements would be notable.
Great post.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

wow, really only 28.3 at 80? I travel 80-84 often in my ecoboost awd. at that speed and it's 25-28 depending on wind speed & direction.
still blown away about a hybrid getting only 28.3 at 80mph. I would have expected more like 32-35.

Space

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
🤓 I have been averaging 42 mpg on highway, but I live in Florida . Driving on the highway is pretty close to city driving. Lots of coasting, and way too many stops.
Sponsored