First Name
JohnMichael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2020 Hyundai Elantra Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello everyone! I ordered a Cactus grey maverick XL with 4K tow, copilot360, and spray in bed liner on Jan 4th. After some more thinking, I am trying to figure out whether or not it’s worth upgrading to the XLT. Cruise control and the wheels are a big upside to this decision. Curious if anyone else has had this dilemma? Also, would upgrading reset my spot in line to get a production date? Any thoughts or help is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the XL - XLT decision has been one of the biggest dilemmas for many maverick buyers. Only you can decide whether the XLT options are worth the price. That said, a couple other things I appreciate in my XLT:
-Auto locking tailgate
-Door keypad
-Backseat armrest/cup holders
-Power mirrors

Also note that some in the forum are getting "stock" cruise control on their XLs using Escape steering wheels and Forscan. If hacking/DIYing your car is your thing, it's an option.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello everyone! I ordered a Cactus grey maverick XL with 4K tow, copilot360, and spray in bed liner on Jan 4th. After some more thinking, I am trying to figure out whether or not it’s worth upgrading to the XLT. Cruise control and the wheels are a big upside to this decision. Curious if anyone else has had this dilemma? Also, would upgrading reset my spot in line to get a production date? Any thoughts or help is appreciated. Thanks!
On the cruise control as already mentioned you can get it working after and be same as would have been built in the factory on an XLT or higher trims models right now for about $200 in switches and and forscan cable / license or replace the wheel out completely with one on a similarly equiped vehicle. if you want mechanically inclined I'm sure you can find a mechanic to do for around $500-$600.
The forscan section of the forum has a lengthy thread on how to do this.

You also have aftermarket options for cruise control like the Rostra switch.

Either is going to cost you much less than the extra cost of going from the Xl to the XLT. So unless it is an instant gratification thing or it is a I don't care and that is too much work to hack in later issue I wouldn't let cruise control be the deciding factor in this case.

I would determine if the trim upgrade is worth it based on other features not including the rims since you can also put on custom rims for much cheaper that suite your needs. if you can already get them or get the oem ford parts and install or have installed for significantly cheaper then I'd say no except for the reasons above.

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
I was struggling on XL vs XLT and my mind was made up for me based on my dealer having an unclaimed XL in route. I like the XL interior better, and I ended up getting wheels tires and selling my steelies for a net cost of $1k. cruise control is also possible in the XL for anywhere from $100-$500 depending on wheel or switches, etc….

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
I think the XL - XLT decision has been one of the biggest dilemmas for many maverick buyers. Only you can decide whether the XLT options are worth the price. That said, a couple other things I appreciate in my XLT:
-Auto locking tailgate
-Door keypad
-Backseat armrest/cup holders
-Power mirrors

Also note that some in the forum are getting "stock" cruise control on their XLs using Escape steering wheels and Forscan. If hacking/DIYing your car is your thing, it's an option.
The backseat armrest is the one…. The door keypad and the power mirrors are available on the XL (in the co pilot 360 foe the mirrors)

Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The backseat armrest is the one…. The door keypad and the power mirrors are available on the XL (in the co pilot 360 foe the mirrors)
Sure. You're spending another $665 to add those options. With enough money and/or effort, you could pretty much make an XL into an XLT. The question for the OP: Which options are most important and is it worth all the effort to save a few bucks? For most people, it's just easier to bump up to the XLT and not worry about hacking all the other things together.

I also haven't seen an XL upgrade for the auto lock tailgate.

shocontinental

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I also haven't seen an XL upgrade for the auto lock tailgate.
We need someone with an XL to open their tailgate and see if the harness is already there. It might just require adding the lock actuator.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For me it came down to the fact that the XLT included power mirrors, cruise control, wheels and rear tailgate lock stock. You can add all of those things to an XL, but you end up paying pretty close to the XLT. Unless you are not picky about the wheels and get bronco takeoffs or something, but I actually like the XLT wheels and wanted them.

XLT will likely have better resale value as the mid trim/more preferred model.

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q5
Ok, someone please confirm who has a Ford maverick XL...with co-pilot...are the mirrors powered? US spec please.

Sponsored

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
Awesome...only reason to get XLT is: Cruise, and wheels....Thank you. I will be pretty happy with my XL.
In case you haven't noticed, people are adding factory cruise control for about $100, possibly cheaper if you can find the correct steering wheel controls cheap at a salvage yard. For me all I really wanted for the XL were power mirrors, cruise control and a power locking rear tailgate. Power mirrors I got with copilot 360, I'll add cruise control myself (already picked up a leather Escape steering wheel with the right controls for just over $100) and I'll figure out a way to add the remote locking tailgate. All in all this should cost me less than $500 plus I like the interior color scheme of the XL over the XLT. The significant money I'll save over an XLT in addition to the property tax savings I'll see every year add up and make sense to me.
Sponsored

Last edited: