Sponsored

Would extra weight in the bed help with snow traction?

Jejust

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Trax, Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As winter approaches, snow will be here soon. I had trucks before, always had to put wait in the bed for traction. The Maverick is front wheel drive, would weight in the bed be of any use?
Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nope. Weight in the bed will be counterproductive. I drove my maverick through snow last December through, well, April and it did great. Drive safe and don't worry about it.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
weight in the rear will help braking, say 200# max

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

As winter approaches, snow will be here soon. I had trucks before, always had to put wait in the bed for traction. The Maverick is front wheel drive, would weight in the bed be of any use?
WHENEVER I get my Maverick I'm getting additional rims and snows. Passed on some nice old Bronco wheels. Or, find someone in Chicagoland area getting rid of some steelies. FWD, so no weight necessary in the back.

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You could just move to the south, down here if there's even the most remote chance of 1/64th inch of snow, everything shuts down. Problem solved! ;)

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mav is different than other pickups since it's unibody and front wheel drive. Also the crew cab shifts the center of gravity rearward.

My old 1980 toyota pickup was rear wheel drive with a single cab. The rear on that thing would let go at the drop of a hat. The mav handles NOTHING like that thing did.

Just get decent tires and don't worry about it.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you're truly concerned with winter driving, dedicated winter tires will do more to ensure safe travel than anything else, sans driver skill level.

But as-is, a FWD Maverick will be very capable in all but deep (+6") snow, pending your comfort level. Bed weight would be of little use, and even possibly could make matters worse, if done improperly. If you must add temp. weight, keep it as centered in the cab as possible, to get the most front bias.

Most likely you'll be fine as-is.

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Snow? That white stuff I won't have to shovel anymore. BTW, no need to add weight to the bed with snow tires.

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm near Phoenix Arizona. What is this "snow" that you all speak of? šŸ˜Ž
Comes from precipitation when it's cold out. helps make plants green, fill rivers, and to drink and wash. There those from the west trying to steal our water for the above.

Outside of Phoenix? Hottest jobsite I ever traveled to was a parched place in Globe Arizona. Once it rained at another place I was at and the desert came alive.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You could just move to the south, down here if there's even the most remote chance of 1/64th inch of snow, everything shuts down. Problem solved! ;)
I remember being in Atlanta when they got 4-5 inches of snow. Pretty funny watching them attempt to negotiate

Greg_in_GA

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
Undecided
If you do add weight in the truck bed be sure to secure it well. If you put something like unsecured cinderblocks in the truck bed and you are in an accident they can basically become cannon balls that are aimed at the back of your head.

I remember being in Atlanta when they got 4-5 inches of snow. Pretty funny watching them attempt to negotiate
When that happens the majority of the cars you see in the ditches are four wheel drive since they are overconfident and even with all season tires they will still try to drive 55 mph in a 45 mph speed zone when there is snow on the road. That is more scary than funny though.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drove my hybrid through a Colorado winter last year, and it handled surprisingly well. Coming from a AWD Subaru and AWD Honda Element, I wasnā€™t expecting my FWD truck to do very well. But itā€™s actually pretty solid and predictable. Way better than any old RWD truck that Iā€™ve driven. I donā€™t think adding any weight will be necessary, like it was with my old Toyota pickup.
Sponsored