Sponsored

AWD Owners - Add weight in the bed for better traction in the winter?

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No you f up the traction control
Sponsored

mikealti

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota Rav4
Just curious. I haven't taken possession of my Maverick yet, but I'm curious. Even though the truck is technically FWD, does adding a little weight to the bed improve traction i the winter for the AWD model?
That is not need, you get plenty of traction with AWD Maverick.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The weight distribution on the Mav is pretty decent. So it shouldnt be necessary. When I get mine at the end of the year I will test it for yall. I live in Maui, no snow or ice but my driveway is really good at this test. Its a loose gravel switchback and has about 35 degrees of incline at one point. We only take 4wds down it. Interestingly a 4x4 such as our 96 Bronco goes up it just fine in 2wd, but only when I have the cap on it. My 91 Comanche only goes up in 2wd when I have a large dump load in it. If not it will spin tires and rut out the hill. Its steep enough that there is little weight on the front end while climbing and if the weight is over the rear it climbs up just fine. When we get our Mav I will try to do back to back loaded and unloaded tests on the same day and video the wheel spin differences.

I suspect it wont be much since its full time AWD but we shall see.

In my old 92 ranger short bed 2wd 4.0 MT(it was a real mover) I loaded 2 sand bags every winter. For 2 winters I worked in another town on the night shift. I took country roads between the 2 towns, 2 10 mile jaunts of almost never at night plowed road with a rarely plowed hippy town (Yellow Springs)in the middle. I would regularly be driving on sheets of ice or through 8"-12" snow ruts. It always made it just fine. I had to keep the rpms up on the hills in the big ruts. But the weight on the powered wheels made all the difference.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I run patio stones in my 4X4 Tacoma bed all winter. Helps a lot on a 4X4

Will just mess up the traction calibrations on an AWD though

2lbgill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLTHybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Lots of experts here, why not just get some passengers for the back seat or would that make the Mav. slide into a ditch. Just adding humor

Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lots of experts here, why not just get some passengers for the back seat or would that make the Mav. slide into a ditch. Just adding humor
passengers are for pushing out of ditch, duh

TacoTanium

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you do start to slide, the more you weigh the longer you slide and the harder to gain control back. There's pros & cons to adding the weight on the bed for better traction but here, personally I think the cons outweigh the pros.
Sponsored