First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Out of curiosity, how well do the so-called frost shields (for example this one from CoverKing) work as a sun shield in the summer? My thought is if it also works as a sun shield, one product for both seasons. Most of the ones that I've seen aren't reflective, but is that really necessary if the light blocking is outside the vehicle?
Sponsored

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Out of curiosity, how well do the so-called frost shields (for example this one from CoverKing) work as a sun shield in the summer? My thought is if it also works as a sun shield, one product for both seasons. Most of the ones that I've seen aren't reflective, but is that really necessary if the light blocking is outside the vehicle?
Living in the Texas Hill country, my only real concern is keeping the summer heat out. My vehicles live in the garage, so I really don't need any kind of frost protection in the winter. The sun shield would not work well "outside" of the vehicle as it is designed to fit snugly to the inside of the windshield. The "outside" frost shield would also block any sun rays from coming through the windshield to heat up the vehicle, so it should do both jobs (just appears to more involved to put on). Just not sure how the material will hold up to extreme heat though ;)

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's going to help some, but not nearly as much as a sun shade. A dark, opaque cover like the frost shield shown is going to keep some light and heat from entering the vehicle, but it's actually going to get hot and stay hot against the glass, as opposed to a light colored material that reflects more light. A sun shade takes this a step further with generally some sort of foil material or similar to really help reflect the sun light and heat away from the vehicle.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I still feel like not enough people realize these umbrella style sun shades are so convenient. Yes they are cheap. Yes they will probably break if you breathe on them wrong. But you can find some for like $10 to $12 or less. You can put them under a seat, in the glove box, etc. I feel like setting up a sunshade (for me personally) in a vehicle is all about quantity (basic coverage) and convenience, not quality and perfection (i.e. perfect fit).

I also bought this full size roll-up one but now I've thrown the roll-up in the garage attic since I use the umbrella style. I hated that I had to keep juggling the roll-up guy between the cab and the bed when I had passengers because it would be in the way in the foot well.

Amazon Search for a cheap one ($15 max):
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=umbrella+sun+shade&i=automotive&rh=n:3147717011,p_36:-1500&qid=1684960816&rnid=386419011&ref=sr_nr_p_36_5

Example:
Ford Maverick Windshield sunshade which did you buy? 1684961233233

Last edited:

Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I made my own out of some reflective bubble wrap I had laying around. Stores behind the seat back when I'm not using it, and provides a little sound deadening back there on the road.

The general shape is 54" at the bottom, 48" at the top, and 25 inches deep, if anyone wants to cut their own. Then slice a 9" deep slit in the top center to go around the mirror post. Done. 🤠

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Coverking wants 52.95 on their site. Bought one through Costco for 34.95 for my truck and the wife's Edge. Great material, don't need the interior visor to keep it in place, totally satisfied with my purchase.

lajlmt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Windshield sunshade. Which did you buy? I do not have my truck yet, and am looking to get a universal sun shade to put in the windshield because of the blazing sun and heat we have here in Texas. Can anybody give me the rough height and width dimensions of the windshield in inches.

Thanks
Matt
I had a ‘13 Honda CRV and bought a sunshade for that huge windshield, it has served me well on the ’18 Kona. Even in Hawaii these things don’t fall apart…you might want to look on Amazon and set your vehicle for ‘23 Maverick…

lajlmt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Coverking wants 52.95 on their site. Bought one through Costco for 34.95 for my truck and the wife's Edge. Great material, don't need the interior visor to keep it in place, totally satisfied with my purchase.
That is the one I have I think, got at Costco in ‘13 and it is still good..

lajlmt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sponsored

lajlmt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I got the Ford Maverick sunshade from the Ford Accessories site using my FordPass points. It is a CoverCraft item that is well constructed and fits nicely. I really like it.

IMG_9061.jpg
After looking at this I am going to use my Ford Pass points …..

Wasatch-Man

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Galaxy Auto Shield Custom Fit (Amazon) $39.56 with shipping.

You just plug in vehicle information and it provides you the windshield custom designed for the Maverick. No measuring necessary.

It fits great with 100% sun protection thru windshield.

Last edited:

lajlmt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Galaxy Auto Shield Custom Fit (Amazon) $39.56 with shipping.

You just plug in vehicle information and it provides you the windshield custom designed for the Maverick. No measuring necessary.

It fits great with 100% sun protection thru windshield.
That is sold out but it has covers for ALL WINDOWS! And Made in USA

GalaxyAutoShield Custom Fit Windshield Sun Shade for 2022 2023 Ford Maverick, XL, XLT, Lariat Truck, Insulated Window Sunshade Privacy Accessories Blockout UV Reflector Protection - Made in USA https://a.co/d/bAKigb6GalaxyAutoShield Custom Fit Windshield Sun Shade for 2022 2023 Ford Maverick, XL, XLT, Lariat Truck, Insulated Window Sunshade Privacy Accessories Blockout UV Reflector Protection - Made in USA https://a.co/d/bAKigb6

Hot pepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Windshield sunshade. Which did you buy? I do not have my truck yet, and am looking to get a universal sun shade to put in the windshield because of the blazing sun and heat we have here in Texas. Can anybody give me the rough height and width dimensions of the windshield in inches.

Thanks
Matt
Bought mine at the Ford dealer, has the word Maverick on it. I think the price was $69.00.
Sponsored