Sponsored

Will there realistically be any difference between 2022 and 2023 build quality?

BoskoPColtrane

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bosko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hasn't even arrived at the dealer, haven't paid a dime. If Ford can fix the issues I don't have a problem with it. Stuff happens.

All I'm saying is that Ford is keeping the reputation it has with many non-Ford owners, which is, Ford doesn't make high quality vehicles that last. Which I honestly hope isn't the case, I'm not a fanboy for any brand.
This will be my fourth Ford. I’m a believer. Quality vehicles. My current ford vehicle has 152,000 miles with minimal issues and of the issues I have had, Ford took care of them. Bur let’s just be honest, when your truck comes in, you’ll out that money down. You know it’s a good deal. 👍
Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It only seems like quality is worse because of the internet. At least '23 model owners won't have to worry about holes being drilled in the gas tanks, bad wiring harnesses, etc.. This is how things evolve. I would rather have had a second year model specifically so they could iron out all these issues before building my vehicle.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you have your heart set on a particular 2022 color it may affect your decision. There WILL be color changes in 2023, we just don’t know what they will be.

bill67

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No I'm saying if my my22 was converted to a 23 it would only be 2-3 extra months. Even if I place a new order in August I would think it would be q1 2023 before I receive it which is still a lot earlier
Most truthful manufactures are saying chip problems will go right through 4 Qrt 23. I ordered 6/17/21 and still believe I have a long wait. If ford can build there trucks they will. The only problem I see is the stupid way they had the allocation system set up.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
There will absolutely be differences; how significant those differences are, only time will reveal.

As an example, this was just posted on an F150 forum from someone who recently took delivery. Enough folks made squawks about the rear axles coming rusted, turns out Ford is now coating them from the factory!
1657726211427.png

This is a fairly significant change for the F-150 that Ford has not made any real mention of, but you better believe Maverick will see its fair share of changes in build quality as well. Unfortunately we won't actually know of them until folks take delivery and start noting the quality changes/improvements.
Differentials and other heavy drivetrain components have been bare metal forever!
People need to be realistic about their complaints, I've never, ever, ever seen a rear diff, manual trans, etc. rusted through.
If some one has some documentation showing how surface rust on these parts affects the vehicle please share.

Sponsored

Parabellum

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 5.0 (hopefully soon maverick)
Hasn't even arrived at the dealer, haven't paid a dime. If Ford can fix the issues I don't have a problem with it. Stuff happens.

All I'm saying is that Ford is keeping the reputation it has with many non-Ford owners, which is, Ford doesn't make high quality vehicles that last. Which I honestly hope isn't the case, I'm not a fanboy for any brand.
Not a fan boy but I have owned 2 fords in my life and they’ve been as well built and reliable as the Hondas and Toyotas I’ve owned. The only brand I’ve owned that truly feels crappy is Chevy. I’ve owned one and will never again. The best build “feeling” was a few VW GTIs but those weren’t the most reliable.

Islandman

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick is my 4th Ford Truck/Van, I have also owned 4 chevy’s, a Nissan and a dodge. Leave out the Dodge and I had great experience with all of them. I must say however that I lean toward the Ford Trucks for sure! I have an E450 super duty Motor Home and that cutaway van is a beast! I had a 76 F150 ford truck with a 302 which was tremendous!
The Maverick has been Awesome! Where I live I am averaging over 50mpg with the Hybrid, have a very useful truck bed and still have room for 5. When I was much younger I had an El Camino! The Maverick reminders me of the El Camino but of course much more useful overall. It is also the 2nd time to purchase a first year model. The last one was excellent vehicle. I have just under 5,000 miles and no issues so far. I love everything about it! I did not order it but purchased it when someone backed out. I needed wheels and the Maverick fell in my lap! To me it is just another Ford truck that checks all of my needed boxes and then some! Good for me!

Suzukiridr14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1956 THunderbird , 2016 Acura MDX (Wifes car)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you have your heart set on a particular 2022 color it may affect your decision. There WILL be color changes in 2023, we just don’t know what they will be.
I agree with you, Ford is known to delete, and add colors in the past. Early Thunderbirds had special colors for 1956, and 1957. I had a 2002 Thunderbird that had special colors each year from 2002, to 2005, but they always have Red, White, and Black for every year.

22XLThybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT hybrid (order July 21)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I finally got a build date for August which is nice. Xlt with lux, 4k, fx4, rear window. One thing I asked my dealer to do was to remove the lux package and he never did which unfortunately probably pushed my build date back a few months. By the time I get my Mav it will most likely be mid to late September and I really wanted to try and avoid a situation where I get my 2022 shortly before they start producing and shipping 2023 models. I would much rather wait another 2-3 months and feel like I'm getting a new car with the kinks worked out instead of one that will be one year old within a few months but I got a build date before I could contact my dealer to change it.

I'm considering putting another order in with my dealer for a 23 and decide what I want to do after. It may be a stupid complaint but I've always had a bad taste with first model year cars but I was sold because of the drivetrain being in production for a long time, and if I got it earlier in the year I would have been ok with it but this situation is the one thing I wanted to avoid. Just want to see what others are doing in this situation and if my concerns are justified
It's all an evolution... every year of a model run means more kinks are worked out. I have a Fiesta from the ninth year of that model run and it's had no recalls and has been flawless for three years since it had 11 miles. They are known drivetrains, but in a new application with the Maverick.

Sponsored

Mrkosmoo2

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Trim
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They make changes on the fly. The later you are the model year, the better chance of having a vehicle built with the issues from earlier models already addressed.

FriarPop

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

There will be no changes in quality until a new model comes out, probably 2026 when they can review the common defects and reengineer the car from the ground up.

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On Order: Ford Maverick XLT. Now: Chevy Cavalier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I finally got a build date for August which is nice. Xlt with lux, 4k, fx4, rear window. One thing I asked my dealer to do was to remove the lux package and he never did which unfortunately probably pushed my build date back a few months. By the time I get my Mav it will most likely be mid to late September and I really wanted to try and avoid a situation where I get my 2022 shortly before they start producing and shipping 2023 models. I would much rather wait another 2-3 months and feel like I'm getting a new car with the kinks worked out instead of one that will be one year old within a few months but I got a build date before I could contact my dealer to change it.

I'm considering putting another order in with my dealer for a 23 and decide what I want to do after. It may be a stupid complaint but I've always had a bad taste with first model year cars but I was sold because of the drivetrain being in production for a long time, and if I got it earlier in the year I would have been ok with it but this situation is the one thing I wanted to avoid. Just want to see what others are doing in this situation and if my concerns are justified
If I was in your place I'd place an order for a 2023 as well! You might as well make sure you are going to get what you want. I was a late Jan. 2022 order and was hoping I'd be in your position. Hate mail may follow me for the honesty...

James K

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agree there will be little change in quality. Most of the Maverick has been on the market one way or another for some time. As per another comment, probably software patches but not much else.
Sponsored