First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek, 2023 Maverick Lariat hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wondering if anyone is noticing a 4-5 MPG difference between the Fuelly app and the Trip screen on the instrument cluster display. In my case, the app is always showing the lower figure. I saw on the forum a while ago that there is a way to adjust the vehicle's mile setting, but I hesitate to fool around with it until I get some more readings from others.

Anyway, just an FYI, at 6,234 miles, my 2023 Lariat is showing 41.5 average MPG, best is 49.8 MPG. Here in western NC, with my average price/gallon $3.13 (since 5/23), average price/mile $0.075. (per Fuelly app.)
Sponsored

Raymundo76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Wondering if anyone is noticing a 4-5 MPG difference between the Fuelly app and the Trip screen on the instrument cluster display. In my case, the app is always showing the lower figure. I saw on the forum a while ago that there is a way to adjust the vehicle's mile setting, but I hesitate to fool around with it until I get some more readings from others.

Anyway, just an FYI, at 6,234 miles, my 2023 Lariat is showing 41.5 average MPG, best is 49.8 MPG. Here in western NC, with my average price/gallon $3.13 (since 5/23), average price/mile $0.075. (per Fuelly app.)
My last fillup had the biggest difference: (24 hybrid).Computer read 48MPG while hand calc was 45.7. Sometimes it is right on; but it never has under estimated the MPG. FYI I use 91 octane and enjoy trying to get the Max/ MPG as possible. This fillup was about 100% local driving.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's a commonly accepted value that with the factory settings the dash will read 5% high on average.

So many owners (like 90%) report this that they probably did this on purpose to make those that don't manually check feel better.

Probably there is some standard that says trip computers must be +/- 5% of actual and they went with the + 5%. It's not random.

You can adjust this value down via engineering test mode. Called "AFE bias" or "average fuel economy bias".

you can adjust in 0.1% increments.
so for 5% bias down, you need 50 bias points. Many users are happy with a setting of 950/1000. Some like 940/1000 better.

I started with 950/1000 but as lots of time passed, 940/1000 is true to actual. That's 6% downward adjustment.

HTH,

OP
OP
DaVicar

DaVicar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek, 2023 Maverick Lariat hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's a commonly accepted value that with the factory settings the dash will read 5% high on average.

So many owners (like 90%) report this that they probably did this on purpose to make those that don't manually check feel better.

Probably there is some standard that says trip computers must be +/- 5% of actual and they went with the + 5%. It's not random.

You can adjust this value down via engineering test mode. Called "AFE bias" or "average fuel economy bias".

you can adjust in 0.1% increments.
so for 5% bias down, you need 50 bias points. Many users are happy with a setting of 950/1000. Some like 940/1000 better.

I started with 950/1000 but as lots of time passed, 940/1000 is true to actual. That's 6% downward adjustment.

HTH,
OK, thanks for this. I reset mine to 940 to start.

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew Sport XLT
Engine
Undecided

I have a 19 Ranger, I check my mileage with a calculator and compare with truck computer, hand calculator always is 2 to 4 mpg lower than truck readouts. Looks like Ford fudges a bit.
Sponsored