Sponsored

Why is the throttle pedal disconnected from I.C.E. when the selector is in N or P.? Is this a safety precaution?

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariet Maverick, 2016 CX5 Mazda
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I realize that this not a high performance engine that we are dealing with here. Still, I think we have an instinct to blip the throttle now and again. Still, after 3 months, finding this mysterious vehicle to be an unexpected pleasure to drive.:)
Sponsored

BAScott62

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unless you need to generate heat for the system, why would the ICE be running while stationary?

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Everything is computer controlled. Computer determines whether your pedal activity warrants engaging the fuel pump.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I realize that this not a high performance engine that we are dealing with here. Still, I think we have an instinct to blip the throttle now and again. Still, after 3 months, finding this mysterious vehicle to be an unexpected pleasure to drive.:)
When in N and P the ice will only run to charge the HVB from 30-40% doc. Ice will run only at most efficient speed to do so. Even in the drive mode standard, eco, and slippery the throttle is not directly connected to ice but to the computer which will on, off, throttle ice to the most efficient rpm making up temporary variations with the electric drive/Regen slowly varying rpm as needed.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can get the engine on the hybrid to fire up by hitting the throttle in park. Jab it a time or two the engine will fire up.

Sponsored

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You can get the engine on the hybrid to fire up by hitting the throttle in park. Jab it a time or two the engine will fire up.
It will fire up - temporarily. But if not needed for charging or running the heater, the computer will soon cut it back off again.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When in N and P the ice will only run to charge the HVB from 30-40% doc. Ice will run only at most efficient speed to do so. Even in the drive mode standard, eco, and slippery the throttle is not directly connected to ice but to the computer which will on, off, throttle ice to the most efficient rpm making up temporary variations with the electric drive/Regen slowly varying rpm as needed.
The hybrids DO charge in Park.

The hybrids DO NOT charge in "Neutral".

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

My ice will run when my hybrid is in park as well as while in neutral. When truck is in ready status. The ice will not run while truck is in accessory mode. In ready mode The ice will turn off when HVB gets to 40% soc as that's it's cut off point so part of the time it will not charge but it does the same charge or not charge irregardless of which mode the selector knob is in. Then HVB will furnish current until soc of HVB drops to 30%.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Still...

The hybrid will NOT charge the HVB in "neutral".

But the DC to DC converter will provide trickle charge to the 12v side of things in Neutral.... until the HVB dips to maybe 28% at the lowest. Then the 12v battery is on it's own.

The truck cannot START in neutral if you are standing still or rolling less than ~6 MPH. But if you shift to N while running it will stay running but cannot recharge in neutral.

The truck even has a pop-up message saying as much.
😎

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is a safety reason why you cannot rev the engine in "Neutral".

There is no physical disconnect.
Neutral is only "simulated" by electronic command to send no power to the wheels. Yes really. I'm not guessing.
If you rev the engine in N without foot on the brake, the vehicle can move.

But it's just Ford's programming that limits revving while in park. Usually you can rev a little bit. They also used to allow revving in Park for emissions testing.

Sponsored
OP
OP
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariet Maverick, 2016 CX5 Mazda
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

this explains much. When I blipped the pedal the other day it was in P. ( ICE idling) I did not do this test in N.

Space

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
🤓 Thanks for all the comments to this blog. Very interesting. My Maverick was running just a little rough today while at traffic light. I tried to rev engine in neutral because the Camry I just traded in (not a hybrid) stalled in slow traffic and a few times at traffic light. Of course nothing happened so I was wondering how to accommodate this concern on my Maverick. Whether maintenance issue or bad gas it is a thing.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
this explains much. When I blipped the pedal the other day it was in P. ( ICE idling) I did not do this test in N.
When you blip the pedal in park in hybrid, the ice will be started irregardless of SOC of the HVB. It will stay running until the SOC of HVB reaches 40%. May take 1 second may take 30+ seconds. Good to know if you want to go a little further in the morning in electric.
It's been awhile but I believe to run ice in neutral put selector in N push the L button then set the E Brake. I don't remember for sure but I believe the ice will stay on even after HVB reaches 40% SOC.

Last edited:

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When you blip the pedal in park in hybrid, the ice will be started irregardless of SOC of the HVB. It will stay running until the SOC of HVB reaches 40%. May take 1 second may take 30+ seconds. Good to know if you want to go a little further in the morning in electric.
It's been awhile but I believe to run ice in neutral put selector in N push the L button then set the E Brake. I don't remember for sure but I believe the ice will stay on even after HVB reaches 40% SOC.
What prompts you to dig up old threads that were "settled"?

To run the ICE (gas engine) in N you need to start it in Park, or in Drive, then shift to N before it shuts off.

You can also start in N while rolling at speeds greater than 6 mph.

You can not start the ICE in N standing still or barely moving. Don't take my word for it. Try it.

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
May I ask why you want to " blip the throttle now and again "?
Sponsored