Sponsored

why all the posts about the spare tire??

adsandiego

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 MAV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i know , i know ... i'm adding to it, but why are people fretting about the spare tire.
i don't know, for me, i'd want the spare tire to be as light as practically possible because all it's doing is add weight to my truck and reducing fuel efficiency. obviously i hope to never use it, and when i do, it should only be temporarily and hopefully straight to the dealership or a tire shop. these spare tires, even the doughnuts, are safely rated for 50 miles at a time, anyway.
why would you want to lug along a full size tire and rim when you know the chances of you needing it is rare??
Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

1. Ford lied about it being a fullsize spare, on purpose, so they could juice sales of the $115 option. Easy margin.

2. The fullsize spare was supposed to be included in the Lariat Lux for Ecoboost builds (perhaps even XLT Lux). It was not. This cost me $300 in a steel wheel and tire, and time.

3. The difference in weight between a donut and a true full size spare isn't going to make a huge difference in MPG, but it sure will make a difference when one pops and you're towing/off-road, if that applies to you.

Last edited:

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I too thought the posts were annoying and useless so I just put them on IGNORE.

So no more thread or posts about that subject.

I will now put this on ignore also.

uga

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1. Ford lied about it being a fullsize spare, on purpose, so they could juice sales of the $115 option. Easy margin.

2. The fullsize spare was supposed to be included in the Lariat Lux for Ecoboost builds (perhaps even XLT Lux). It was not.

3. The difference in weight between a donut and a true full size spare isn't going to make a huge difference in MPG, but it sure will make a difference when one pops and you're towing/off-road, if that applies to you.

Great explanation! I was sure my spare was full size but there is no such thing from Ford.

Sponsored

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think uga is my new favorite friend on this website.

cannon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

2. The fullsize spare was supposed to be included in the Lariat Lux for Ecoboost builds (perhaps even XLT Lux). It was not. This cost me $300 in a steel wheel and tire, and time.

Those of us with AWD who paid for a full size spare only to find out it isn't, have good reason to be complaining. I wouldn't have paid for it if I'd known.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I deleted the "full size" spare a couple weeks ago when the email came out about removing constraints that might hold up builds. The mini spare donut should be just fine in a true emergency in normal driving conditions with only option being a short drive to a shop to replace damaged tire. Thinking I will go to a junk yard and find a more suitable "full size" spare and leave it at home unless I go off roading or on a longer trip where it would come in handy- and will just toss it into the bed for those occasions instead of permanent location under truck.

MichaelG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I deleted the "full size" spare a couple weeks ago when the email came out about removing constraints that might hold up builds. The mini spare donut should be just fine in a true emergency in normal driving conditions with only option being a short drive to a shop to replace damaged tire. Thinking I will go to a junk yard and find a more suitable "full size" spare and leave it at home unless I go off roading or on a longer trip where it would come in handy- and will just toss it into the bed for those occasions instead of permanent location under truck.
I have one of these in my truck. It is possible to fix a flat tire on the vehicle if the leak is obvious.
Tire plug repair kit.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know if a truly "full-sized" spare (one the same size as the other tires) will fit in the underframe carrier?

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Does anyone know if a truly "full-sized" spare (one the same size as the other tires) will fit in the underframe carrier?
Yes. I run a 17"x7" spare wheel from Unique 83 with a 245/65R17 tire.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can the basic steel wheel fit up with a 245/65/17 ?
Sponsored