Sponsored

Wheel balancing weights on the wheels from factory?

darrink

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
porsche
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love the truck after 1500 miles. One thing is throwing me. The wheel pulls a bit to the right. So to drive straight I have to hold the wheel slightly askew. That throws off my OCD looking at the crooked Ford logo on the steering wheel. Especially with a new truck. I took a look at the wheels and noticed alignment magnets on several wheels. Is that normal for a new truck to leave the factory with magnets to compensate alignment issues? I would think they need to quality control at the factory and make sure everything is straight? Am I wrong on that? Want some second opinions before I bring it in to ask the service department? Thanks.
Sponsored

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Those "magnets" are not for wheel alignment, but rather adhesive tape weights for wheel/tire balancing. Nothing too out of the ordinary there.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Abraxis might have saved you some embarrassment at the dealer, wheel weights, not magnets.

If your truck has a pull you should ask the dealer to check the alignment.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Alignment magnets should have been removed by the dealer.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is apparently an Adjustment. Someone posted on here that they provided that service. The dealer should also be able to do so. I don't know if it would be physical or computer data table change. I would highly suspect it is the latter.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Duh! Per manual high crown in road can cause car to wander as well as front tires with different air pressures.
I had a rear tire low pressure warning last week on rear tire but it took 9psi to trigger it???

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I run a pound or two more in the right front on my cars and my Slingshot. Did the same with the right rear on my Honda GoldWing trike.
Start at +1, then go to +2. I would not go more than +3. Get to an alignment shop if it takes more than that.

RLmesc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Kia Sportage, 05 Porsche Boxster S, 85 Kawasaki
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My dad was a county sheriff, and he said the alignment of a car was set to make the car drift to the right, he called it the "dead man's drift", should you die while driving (before the accident) it would take the car to the ditch rather than into the on-coming lane - true? Not? who the heck knows.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dad was a county sheriff, and he said the alignment of a car was set to make the car drift to the right, he called it the "dead man's drift", should you die while driving (before the accident) it would take the car to the ditch rather than into the on-coming lane - true? Not? who the heck knows.
Cars are usually aligned to track straight. If they're going to tend to the shoulder, that's because of the road crown.

Sponsored

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Engine
Undecided
I love the truck after 1500 miles. One thing is throwing me. The wheel pulls a bit to the right. So to drive straight I have to hold the wheel slightly askew. That throws off my OCD looking at the crooked Ford logo on the steering wheel. Especially with a new truck. I took a look at the wheels and noticed alignment magnets on several wheels. Is that normal for a new truck to leave the factory with magnets to compensate alignment issues? I would think they need to quality control at the factory and make sure everything is straight? Am I wrong on that? Want some second opinions before I bring it in to ask the service department? Thanks.
The pull that you are experiencing could be a simple air pressure issue. I would recommend starting there. If the air pressure is consistent, then move on to having the alignment checked. Start small and work your way up "the food chain" to correct the pull.

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agreed. Check the tire pressure. If that’s ok, go to the dealer.
This is NOT a job for someone who is handy. It requires special machinery.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Definitely check your tire pressure, my last new car before the Maverick wandered like a drunk down the road & pulled to one side, the dealer also gave me that 'crown of the road story', wasn't buying it, I said my dad's 40 year old Fleetwood with bagged out A arm bushings goes straight down the road if I let go of the wheel. After taking it back to the dealer the 3rd time, they gave me a loaner identical to my car, on the way home I found it did the same thing, I was ready to trade the car & then found by raising the pressure to 34 from the specified 30 the problem went away, the only reason I tried this is that the front tires always look under inflated to me, it cost me nothing, but took a long time to figure it out.

Jetlat7878$

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Blackout
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

irst thing
First thing to check is the tire pressure, 35psi for all tires. If ok, proceed to get the alignment checked. BTW lead weights are not magnetic.
Sponsored