Sponsored

What's wrong with antenna on the roof?

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I forgot which trucks have 'em, but I know some do. They have the mast antenna on the fender for AM/FM and the shark fin on the leading edge of the roof, offset to one side, or centered on the trailing edge of the roof. The shark fin I believe is used for GPS/satellite radio/other IoT stuff.

Some other trucks have unpainted flat antennas on the leading edge of the roof that resemble a piece of Dove chocolate or something similarly flat and square-shaped.
My 08 F-150 had the small chocolate thing, as you described. It was closer to the passenger side and was for SiriusXM. It also had a traditional whip antenna on the passenger side fender. I think the bigger shark fins are because they include mobile radios now.
Sponsored

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My RF days are behind me but I feel like you may get fine reception at least in the cities without the antenna attached at all. Maybe this suggestion is entirely moronic because I know very little abuot AM/FM wavelengths. But I do remember one of my buddies was complaining about poor (but acceptable) wifi performance on his desktop, and it turned out he never plugged in the provided wifi antenna!

Also I've had other vehicles with no fin or visible antenna at all and they got great radio reception. Of course I assume they have something else but it wasn't visible on the exterior.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My RF days are behind me but I feel like you may get fine reception at least in the cities without the antenna attached at all. Maybe this suggestion is entirely moronic because I know very little abuot AM/FM wavelengths. But I do remember one of my buddies was complaining about poor (but acceptable) wifi performance on his desktop, and it turned out he never plugged in the provided wifi antenna!

Also I've had other vehicles with no fin or visible antenna at all and they got great radio reception. Of course I assume they have something else but it wasn't visible on the exterior.
FM waves can actually be picked up by almost anything - I've gotten reception on CAT5 cable that was ran too far before. This is why most cars can get away with internal antennas. As long as there is some bit of wire not hidden under metal body panels, you're ok.

Last edited:

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can swap in a stubby antenna. I'm taking mine off my ranger, putting back the stock one and moving the stubby over as soon as I pick mine up!

AdventureSetterland

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have this crackpot theory that I may build a lightweight pop up topper camper thinger for it. Hope some sort of solution is made because it would be in the way. Otherwise, I wouldn’t care

Sponsored

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Besides long items it is in the way for a hardshell rooftop tent or any cargo carrying system like the rhino rack ones it is in the way

With all the gloating Ford is doing about how the Maverick is for an active lifestyle and flexibility this was a glaring miss. Luckily it is fixable aftermarket
Could you suggest where I look for a replacement antenna? I didn't know they made them and assume it's brand/model specific?

Thank you.

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Could you suggest where I look for a replacement antenna? I didn't know they made them and assume it's brand/model specific?

Thank you.
I have found mine on amazon once I knew the height after outifitting my truck. People I have camped with have cut a couple of inches off of their shark fin with zero problems too. Once people get a Maverick and can tell if antennae works with the mast part off it may be good to go

I am not a plugged in, always need to be connected type of person so I may forgo any antennae and put a plug there. A good wireless speaker and streaming through cell phone works for me. Watch the forum and options will pop up. Especially threads that deal with people outfitting Maverick for backroad adventures

Maven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
I personally could care less. I have the same on my Infiniti FX35.

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The whip is unnecessary and the fin should be color matched to the vehicle in a perfect world but this is a budget truck.
Dupli-color offers a cheap solution is you want a monochrome truck with no accent color.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
FYI for anyone wanting a stubby antenna. I took the one off my ranger (if course I put the original back!) and swapped it into the Maverick no problem:

Ford Maverick What's wrong with antenna on the roof? IMG_20211009_160558

Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FYI for anyone wanting a stubby antenna. I took the one off my ranger (if course I put the original back!) and swapped it into the Maverick no problem:
How's the reception?

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How's the reception?
Ah I enjoyed the better Android auto integration for my drive home! It was fine in my ranger, don't expect any different on the Maverick.

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not that it matters to me, but does that mean the Mav doesn’t have the satellite radio?

Ricstar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep CJ7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Besides the look, does the Stubby help with reception?
Sponsored