Sponsored

What will be the make or break specs for you on the Maverick?

Basil

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From the looks of the spy pics and the space between the wheel and the actual wheel well that could be a big possibility...
ok so looking back at some other threads here the bed size really has me concerned. If there is one thing that truly is the make or break spec for me would be a bed less than 5ft in length and overall 4ft wide. I just feel like anything smaller would fill up to easy. Be it tools and lumber, dump runs, moving furniture, camping trips just overall taking things from here to there. I'm finally getting used to the idea of a 5ft bed plus extender so a 4ft bed is a hard no
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Woody_Finch

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Frontier, 2012 Focus, 2011 Fiesta
I can see why small trucks have gone the way of the dodo. We call for companies to build small trucks, and then expect a big double-cab and a big bed. By the way, I'm not criticizing those demands, but it does show why small trucks were ultimately abandoned in the US.

I personally feel that owning a small truck means compromising on payload, cabin space, etc. Otherwise it's not a small truck and we're just asking for a Ranger.

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
I can see why small trucks have gone the way of the dodo. We call for companies to build small trucks, and then expect a big double-cab and a big bed. By the way, I'm not criticizing those demands, but it does show why small trucks were ultimately abandoned in the US.

I personally feel that owning a small truck means compromising on payload, cabin space, etc. Otherwise it's not a small truck and we're just asking for a Ranger.
I agree with you on bed size and payload. Something along like the lines of the old SportsTrac bed would fit me just fine.

With all due respect regarding cabin space, this is where we disagree. Various reports have showing this will only be offered as a crewcab.

I don’t think it’s too much to ask for for the cabin space to be competitive if that’s the case. This to me shows that Ford knows the days of the typical small truck are over when it comes to super cabs and/or there isn’t much demand for them.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

This.. 👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
This will be a lifestyle vehicle, which is a fancy way of saying compromise.

A bronco sport is also a lifestyle vehicle, it represents bronco-life but with refinement that makes it good on road, and not a rock crawler,

A mini cooper is also a lifestyle vehicle, it represents the small life, but it's no smart car, a Durango srt8 is muscle car lifestyle, but no challenger-life

So while I expect the maverick to have some practicality, look at how narrow the sport it's based on is, I won't be expecting the f150(ranger)-life, but I do want the style haha

Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
This will be a lifestyle vehicle, which is a fancy way of saying compromise.

A bronco sport is also a lifestyle vehicle, it represents bronco-life but with refinement that makes it good on road, and not a rock crawler,

A mini cooper is also a lifestyle vehicle, it represents the small life, but it's no smart car, a Durango srt8 is muscle car lifestyle, but no challenger-life

So while I expect the maverick to have some practicality, look at how narrow the sport it's based on is, I won't be expecting the f150(ranger)-life, but I do want the style haha
According to Car & Driver, Bronco Sport Badlands IS a rock-crawler... read on..
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a34886203/2021-ford-bronco-sport-badlands-drive/

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Just because it can rock crawl under certain conditions doesn't mean it is a rock crawler. At least not in my mind. I can run if I need to without much issue, but I wouldn't call myself a runner by any means. Don't get me wrong, the Bronco Sport is an amazing small off-roader and very capable, but rock crawling isn't it's primary purpose, like say a Wrangler or the like, so that's why I wouldn't classify it as a rock crawler. It is primarily an all around adventure vehicle, or lifestyle vehicle, that just so happens to be able to crawl over some rocks sometimes.
Car & Driver were amazed at how well it did, and how well GOAT-mode worked. Far more capable than “some rocks, some times”..

But I agree w you that it’s is not as capable as his big brother. But it is more than a “lifestyle vehicle”... crossovers are “lifestyle vehicles”.. the Ridgeline is a “lifestyle vehicle”. I would hope the #1 truck champion would build exactly that, a small “truck” and not a “lifestyle vehicle”

OP
OP

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think that a "lifestyle vehicle" is really an insult. Maybe some tradesmen will pick up the Maverick, but I want one to support my lifestyle. I like to mountain bike, hike, camp, go on long road trips, and explore the ample dirt roads surrounding me. For that you need a bit of ground clearance, traction, a place to toss a lot of gear, and (ideally) decent efficiency. The Maverick seems like it might be very well tailored to supporting the lifestyle of people like me who don't need to tow 8k or put a ton in the bed. Focusing on everyday utility rather than truck "grunt" makes a lot of sense when you have good options in the lineup for people who want more. If that makes it a lifestyle vehicle, then that's fine by me.

That C&D article sounded to me like they didn't see the Bronco Sport as a rock crawler. It did well on loose surfaces, but it wasn't super smooth at times and would take a second to find traction if there was wheel articulation. They note it doesn't have that much ground clearance and that it was getting scratched/dinged up from that after their 25 mile test then note a bunch of trails they wouldn't take it on. I imagine the Maverick will be a bit worse due to its angles. And again, that's fine for me. If it can do 90% of what the Bronco Sport Badlands can do, it will get me 98% of the places I want to take it, which are sandy, rocky, sometimes washed out roads, but roads nevertheless. If the Maverick can't hit that level, well there is the Ranger to check out, but I hope it will.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I don't think that a "lifestyle vehicle" is really an insult. Maybe some tradesmen will pick up the Maverick, but I want one to support my lifestyle. I like to mountain bike, hike, camp, go on long road trips, and explore the ample dirt roads surrounding me. For that you need a bit of ground clearance, traction, a place to toss a lot of gear, and (ideally) decent efficiency. The Maverick seems like it might be very well tailored to supporting the lifestyle of people like me who don't need to tow 8k or put a ton in the bed. Focusing on everyday utility rather than truck "grunt" makes a lot of sense when you have good options in the lineup for people who want more. If that makes it a lifestyle vehicle, then that's fine by me.

That C&D article sounded to me like they didn't see the Bronco Sport as a rock crawler. It did well on loose surfaces, but it wasn't super smooth at times and would take a second to find traction if there was wheel articulation. They note it doesn't have that much ground clearance and that it was getting scratched/dinged up from that after their 25 mile test then note a bunch of trails they wouldn't take it on. I imagine the Maverick will be a bit worse due to its angles. And again, that's fine for me. If it can do 90% of what the Bronco Sport Badlands can do, it will get me 98% of the places I want to take it, which are sandy, rocky, sometimes washed out roads, but roads nevertheless. If the Maverick can't hit that level, well there is the Ranger to check out, but I hope it will.
Sorry, but I hear “lifestyle vehicle” and it is the moniker used usually to describe a “passenger car” that wants to give the appearance of being more rugged than it is.
(e.g. the Honda Ridgeline I presently own)

What you describe you want it for, are the same reasons I think it will be the perfect vehicle for me. You engage in the same activities.
The other thing I’m hoping for is at least 4,000 lb. towing capacity as I have a boat/trailer that weighs 3800 lb.

OP
OP

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry, but I hear “lifestyle vehicle” and it is the moniker used usually to describe a “passenger car” that wants to give the appearance of being more rugged than it is.
(e.g. the Honda Ridgeline I presently own)

What you describe you want it for, are the same reasons I think it will be the perfect vehicle for me. You engage in the same activities.
The other thing I’m hoping for is at least 4,000 lb. towing capacity as I have a boat/trailer that weighs 3800 lb.
I mean, I definitely don't disagree that there are plenty of vehicles out there now that are much more into giving the appearance of ruggedness than being actually rugged. I just think of a lifestyle vehicle as being anything that's designed to be more focused on enabling hobbyist use than either heavy duty work (like bigger trucks) or commuting style personal transport. So I'd probably count things like Wranglers lifestyle vehicles even though they're legit off road. Different terminology aside, I totally get what you're saying.

I'm really interested to see the towing rating too, though it's less critical for me as I don't currently own anything to tow. The Bronco Sport doesn't tow that much (2200 max with the 2.0L I4). The Escape hybrid varies a lot, with the I4 going as high as 3500, but the hybrid version only tows 1500lbs and the i3 only 2000lbs. On the other hand, the Ranger tows up to 7500lbs with the 2.3l i4, even in the heavier 4x4 configurations.

I can't imagine that the Maverick with it's longer wheelbase would max out towing less than the Escape, so I assume it will be able to be configured to tow at least 3500lbs, but I'm not sure about 5000. I'm hoping so as that would give me a lot more options for towing a smallish camper or a trailer with dirtbikes/utv in the future. I really hope that it's at least 3500 though if just for the tongue weight.

Sponsored

NEPA_60

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sonoma
IMO cab configuration and bed lengths need to consumer choice options (like they used to be). I don't need to carry extra people with me, but I need to haul items for my home repair projects and hobbies. I'd love to see someone make a small pickup along the lines of the extinct rabbit, luv, hi lux pickups of days gone by. My first was a Toyota Hi Lux with standard cab, 6 ft bed, 22r 4 banger, 4 speed manual, and I absolutely loved that thing. Had a blast driving it. My sports car with a huge trunk.

My break point is a 5 ft bed. 6 ft would be preferred. Any shorted is a trunk, not a bed.

OP
OP

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IMO cab configuration and bed lengths need to consumer choice options (like they used to be). I don't need to carry extra people with me, but I need to haul items for my home repair projects and hobbies. I'd love to see someone make a small pickup along the lines of the extinct rabbit, luv, hi lux pickups of days gone by. My first was a Toyota Hi Lux with standard cab, 6 ft bed, 22r 4 banger, 4 speed manual, and I absolutely loved that thing. Had a blast driving it. My sports car with a huge trunk.

My break point is a 5 ft bed. 6 ft would be preferred. Any shorted is a trunk, not a bed.
I don't think you're going to happy with the Maverick. Unibody construction doesn't make it as easy to just slap on a longer bed (with longer frame rails if necessary) and there doesn't seem to be demand for all the permutations. It's unfortunate, but it seems to be what it is. :(

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can't say that this is make or break but what are the chances the Maverick will have a pass through from bed to the cabin? That would be a great feature in my opinion. I thought of it this morning because we have to go pick up a new 12'X12' area rug today for our living room and there's no way it's fitting in my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee and of course it's not fitting in my sedan. I'm either going to have to rent a pick up from U-haul or see if my Brother will let me borrow his minivan, I believe I could squeeze it into that.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I can't say that this is make or break but what are the chances the Maverick will have a pass through from bed to the cabin? That would be a great feature in my opinion. I thought of it this morning because we have to go pick up a new 12'X12' area rug today for our living room and there's no way it's fitting in my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee and of course it's not fitting in my sedan. I'm either going to have to rent a pick up from U-haul or see if my Brother will let me borrow his minivan, I believe I could squeeze it into that.
That is a great feature! The only pickup I know of that had this was the Subaru Baja from days gone by. It’s a great compromise for the shorter bed length on a small pickup.
Ford Maverick What will be the make or break specs for you on the Maverick? 75C5E9E0-CD0A-4DBC-B24B-5469AE11DDD9

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is a great feature! The only pickup I know of that had this was the Subaru Baja from days gone by. It’s a great compromise for the shorter bed length on a small pickup.
75C5E9E0-CD0A-4DBC-B24B-5469AE11DDD9.jpeg
I know the old Chevy Avalanche also had that option. I thought the current Ridgeline also did but I just looked it up and I was wrong on that. I think it's a great option but I also bet we're unlikely to see that in the Maverick.
Sponsored