Sponsored

What will be the make or break specs for you on the Maverick?

Woody_Finch

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Frontier, 2012 Focus, 2011 Fiesta
5ft bed. 6ft would be better, but I could live with 5ft.

AWD/4WD.

30+ MPG.

It should be sized similar to small '80s trucks. That means don't force me to get a crew cab with a usable bed.

Manual transmission is strongly preferred. I know this ain't happening, but Ford would have to make this so good in all other areas that I'd buy an auto transmission for the first time.

Under $25,000 for an AWD version. I don't take out loans. I pay cash, so the sticker price is what matters to me--financing deals don't.

I'm hoping it will be an option to replace my Nissan Frontier and my Ford Focus, consolidating my two vehicles into one. To do that, the Maverick will need to be efficient enough to make my long daily commute, and also able to haul bee hives and lumber when I need it to.
Sponsored

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
This is my thoughts exactly. IF the bed size is 48, or even lower, I would HOPE they offer a bed extender cage thing that can hold items when the tailgate is down like I had in my old Frontier. Would make loading longer items like surfboards a bit easier. But like you, Price and Second row are key to me as well.
I feel like that should be an easy aftermarket offer, but how much more other than the 'height' of the tail gate would you earn?

Ricardo12025

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1961 CJ5, 2000 BMW Z3, 2005 Honda Element
My chief make or break is the number of doors. I am retired and don’t want or need 4 doors. I would rather have more usable box capacity. An extra cab or super cab with storage behind the seats and a third small door would suit me fine.

Ricardo12025

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1961 CJ5, 2000 BMW Z3, 2005 Honda Element
5ft bed. 6ft would be better, but I could live with 5ft.

AWD/4WD.

30+ MPG.

It should be sized similar to small '80s trucks. That means don't force me to get a crew cab with a usable bed.

Manual transmission is strongly preferred. I know this ain't happening, but Ford would have to make this so good in all other areas that I'd buy an auto transmission for the first time.

Under $25,000 for an AWD version. I don't take out loans. I pay cash, so the sticker price is what matters to me--financing deals don't.

I'm hoping it will be an option to replace my Nissan Frontier and my Ford Focus, consolidating my two vehicles into one. To do that, the Maverick will need to be efficient enough to make my long daily commute, and also able to haul bee hives and lumber when I need it to.
I agree with not wanting 4 full doors and having a usable bed.

Sponsored

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My chief make or break is the number of doors. I am retired and don’t want or need 4 doors. I would rather have more usable box capacity. An extra cab or super cab with storage behind the seats and a third small door would suit me fine.
Sadly everyone has gone crazy and only buys crew cab trucks anymore. We wont see anything but a crew cab on this. Id put it at an under 5% chance to have other bodystyles.

Just do what I plan to do if I buy the Maverick. Rear seats will be in the dumpster on day one and Ill be building a nice flat load platform in the back with storage inside it. Should hold all my tools nicely and give me a flat top to put groceries and other things for dry storage.

OP
OP

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sadly everyone has gone crazy and only buys crew cab trucks anymore. We wont see anything but a crew cab on this. Id put it at an under 5% chance to have other bodystyles.

Just do what I plan to do if I buy the Maverick. Rear seats will be in the dumpster on day one and Ill be building a nice flat load platform in the back with storage inside it. Should hold all my tools nicely and give me a flat top to put groceries and other things for dry storage.
I agree and what you're proposing sounds like a reasonable solution if you don't REALLY need the long bed. I suspect that creating different body styles is notably more expensive with unibody so unless there is a major incentive, I suspect that we'll see a lot less mix and match cab/bed options than with body on frame trucks.

dp4616

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I feel like that should be an easy aftermarket offer, but how much more other than the 'height' of the tail gate would you earn?
That could potentially be enough for me. Currently looks like a 40-48in bed, if I can extend it to 60in - my 6+ ft surboards wouldnt be "hanging" too much off the rear. With a lockable bed cover you might be able to pop them in flat sideways and have them be secured from theft. Just a thought.

Woody_Finch

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Frontier, 2012 Focus, 2011 Fiesta
Just trying to do the math...let's say it has a 48" bed length and 50" bed width. That gives it 69" from the front corner to the rear corner diagonally (5' 9" long). Just guessing, but if the tailgate is 16" high, that would change the bed length to 64" with an extender, making the diagonal corner-to-corner length 81" (6' 9" long).

I often think about bed length in terms of front-left corner to rear right corner, because that's how I load lumber if I'm getting a few boards for a project. Obviously that doesn't work for a contractor who's hauling a lot of lumber, but they wouldn't be buying this truck anyway.

If my numbers are correct above, the bed would be okay for bringing home 8' boards safely without an extender, but a tailgate bed extender would allow for 10' boards pretty easily. I think a bit of strapping would be prudent in either case.

EDITED to change width from 40" to 50".

Last edited:
Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP mustang
Those Rangers are so good looking. If they would have put a manual into those when they brought them back in the US I likely would have already bought one.
I put a Freakride 3 link suspension kit with a panhard bar, dropped it 6 inches...
Regards
Doc
Ford Maverick What will be the make or break specs for you on the Maverick? 7872934D-0CBD-4D50-B5E5-580BC6F86873
Ford Maverick What will be the make or break specs for you on the Maverick? B4B79099-D4D3-4365-BE99-2A9268CFE690
Ford Maverick What will be the make or break specs for you on the Maverick? 233D7F72-1AD2-4C31-87E0-DC62F3DAED4F
Ford Maverick What will be the make or break specs for you on the Maverick? 7872934D-0CBD-4D50-B5E5-580BC6F86873
Ford Maverick What will be the make or break specs for you on the Maverick? CBC6EF5E-C537-477A-9058-CFF7541E39B2
Ford Maverick What will be the make or break specs for you on the Maverick? 85C408D5-F530-4A5F-811F-C9D25641EF6C
Ford Maverick What will be the make or break specs for you on the Maverick? 7144C4DD-B0F1-42C2-BFDC-933EC203345C

Last edited:
OP
OP

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Doc, I'm pretty sure that we pretty much have the exact opposite needs when it comes to trucks (and esp. suspensions), but I love that you're doing it!