Sponsored

What specifically makes the hybrids more difficult to manufacture?

RockCity

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Hybrid, F250
that would be Piedmont Tenn and White Silica Sand Company Pit
Caryville, Tennessee

google that lol

And Piedmont is at this time, just drawings on paper. Not planned to begin until 2025.

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My optimistic take on this is that Ford realized majority of 23 orders were for hybrid, they lean on suppliers with drop dead get us stuff date of like March 1, hit pause on ALL hybrid orders and go balls to the wall between now and March cranking out EB's, then hit the hybrids just as hard come Spring. I'm no more impressed than anyone else by Ford's lack of insight into gas prices=hybrid orders, but even Ford has the ability to take in those 87k orders in a couple of days and realize they gotta put up or shut up. I see the December punting of hybrids as part of that plan, until someone shows me otherwise.

Still.... Would go a very long way for Ford's damaged reputation to ANNOUNCE a plan for getting all these hybrids built.
So Ford can’t get parts and now their reputation is “damaged?” Wow, I would hate to hear what Cyber Truck reservation holders think.

KSC Grey Ghost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And Piedmont is at this time, just drawings on paper. Not planned to begin until 2025.
Your right about the lithium mine I had my minerals mixed up in Big Sandy Tn is it a titanium mine not a lithium mine my apologies. They are the early stages of making titanium dioxide to rechargeable batteries for electrical vehicles again my humble apologies for getting my minerals mixed up.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford Maverick What specifically makes the hybrids more difficult to manufacture? A31D40B4-2CD9-4E21-977A-D9605502D319
I don’t know why so many people want the hybrid when it’s 2wd. I have put almost 20k on my fx4 maverick and never have I said, I wish I bought the hybrid. My eco boost has 250 hp and that is enough, but I couldn’t see the likability of a significantly less powered 2wd. I had a 2wd truck once, and when you get stuck or slide all over, your going to want to trade it in.
I live in a place that doesn't snow.
The Hybrid is powerful enough to tow quite significant trailers over the mountains. I don't mean the "recommended" towing. I mean the actual towing. And I'd rather get 57 MPG when commuting to and from work. That's why hybrids are so popular.

Ford Maverick What specifically makes the hybrids more difficult to manufacture? A7841F63-7820-429E-BAEA-C1C8F297143E

Sponsored

AlZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer Limited, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is it the battery? The inverter? Something else? Is it the raw materials to make a part?
I spoke with Ford Customer service yesterday, there is a cvt transmission shortage so hybrids are getting pushed back.

Pucman1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, Triumph TR3, Hybrid Maverick 1-18-23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I don’t know why so many people want the hybrid when it’s 2wd. I have put almost 20k on my fx4 maverick and never have I said, I wish I bought the hybrid. My eco boost has 250 hp and that is enough, but I couldn’t see the likability of a significantly less powered 2wd. I had a 2wd truck once, and when you get stuck or slide all over, your going to want to trade it in.
I need something that gets better mileage than my current commuter. Occasionally I need something with enough space to pick up mulch, 2 x 4s etc. It snows here but I have had FWD and AWD.....get around fine in either. I did my research and chose how i wanted it built. I knew stuff the salesman did not know.
We all have choices, including the choice to wait for it to be built or not.
Good Luck

erikdev

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Elantra GT, 2015 Honda Civic
I spoke with Ford Customer service yesterday, there is a cvt transmission shortage so hybrids are getting pushed back.
Huh, a e-cvt is just a couple electric motors and a planetary gear set. Suppose it could be shortage of rare-earth magnets or micro-controllers though.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Next call, paint shortage.
Next call, foam fill for the seats.
Next call, shortage of air for the tires.
Next call, chips lost in shipment due to GPS failure.

On and on, ad nauseum, ad finitum.

erikdev

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Elantra GT, 2015 Honda Civic
I've had a 4wd car, a rwd truck, and a number of fwd cars. Yeah, the rwd truck was terrible for me in slick weather, but I've never had any problems with fwd and the 4wd didn't seem much better than the fwd for bad weather (it came into its own going off-road). Since I'm not planning to go off-road fwd should be perfectly fine. The mileage on the EB compares pretty well to other small trucks though. Doesn't seem like a bad choice at all. But for me with mostly short trips, being on pavement, and cold weather (by the time I get it, I'll be in Minnesota), I think the hybrid will make more sense than a turbo.

Sponsored

Russ1456

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST Mountune 215, Ford Maverick XLT AWD
Battery, CVT, and a much lower profit margin for Ford, especially the 2022s since they were 1k cheaper than Ecoboost
I work for Honda Manufacturing of America and I can say a lot of thing make a hybrid harder to manufacture from the microns of runout on a CVT to the complexity to assemble one at a frame plant. There are more moving peices more grounds and more tooling and processes are needed.

Alaska Kat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kaidie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree with you that ford builds their own batteries and that the ECVT is simpler to produce, but I believe the planned 35% production of Hybrids stems from their ability to get the raw materials to produce the batteries, and not from some arbitrary self imposed constraint. There is a huge supply issue in getting the raw materials needed to produce the batteries and this is effecting all auto manufactures as well as every industry that uses batteries. This is a much broader issue then just Ford saying they will only build 35% hybrids. Batteries need Lithium, Cobalt, Graphite and Nickle. Currently Lithium and now Graphite are experiencing huge shortage constraints. Below are only 2 articles out of hundreds that have reported on this, found after a quick google search:

https://www.techdirt.com/2022/04/21...r-innovative-threat-to-electric-vehicle-push/

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/graphite-shortage-ev-electric-vehicles-supply-chain/628371/
Question? I read in paper today to get the 7500 tax credit the batteries, materials and components have to be from the USA. Also do hybrids get credit or are they just for 100% electric?

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Question? I read in paper today to get the 7500 tax credit the batteries, materials and components have to be from the USA. Also do hybrids get credit or are they just for 100% electric?
Hybrids like Maverick never qualified. Have to be electric or plug-in hybrid.
Sponsored