First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge RAM 1500
Engine
Undecided
I purchased a 2023 XLT this past fall by walking into the local dealership on a Friday and taking one home the following Sunday. I did not go through the pre-order routine as this was a emergency purchase. 95% work related vehicle. Coming from a 13mpg 2015 Ram Promaster 1500. I have no complaints with this vehicle as compared to what I have read throughout these forum posts. I sometimes get 58mpg in city driving & traffic. 37mpg on the highway. I did purchase a hard tri-fold cover and Elevate bed rack as I carry material and ladders in relation to my work environment. I enjoy this vehicle enough that it makes sense to purchase 2 more for my field technicians. They currently run 2 x 2015 Promaster City little vans but getting up into the 120,000 mile marks.

I am...foggy on the pre-order process for the do's and dont's when it comes to ordering from FORD, ensuring the local dealership plays by written & unwritten rules in regards to adhering to the MSRP. Forum posts from 2022 or 2023 might not be applicable to 2024 in relationship to Ford pre-orders.
Can someone point to a valid "if want cheapest deal and the correct way, do this for Ford pre-order" posting?
Sponsored

prsncat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT EB AWD BAP CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think the answer differs if you qualify to go the fleet route instead of the retail ordering route.

If I was to summarize it, I would say:
  • Find a recommended dealership off the MTC recommendations and warnings list here (link at the word "here").
  • Know what your ideal configuration is, and what configuration you would be willing to accept. For example, the hybrids are still available to order. Yet, you will wait for several months since they still have a large number of unscheduled orders. The XL model is very popular. As such, an XLT or Lariat Hybrid might be produced earlier than a XL Hybrid. An Ecoboost should be produced in a relatively short amount of time. I suspect dealers will be able to place Stock orders for XLT and Lariat EB Mavericks soon.
  • Contact an appropriate salesperson and confirm how many Mavericks they get allocated and how many orders they already have ahead of you. You want a dealer getting allocations and filling orders quickly. Galpin Ford in CA is the #1 Maverick dealer in the US. They might have more allocations than retail orders. Long McArthur in Salina, Kansas is the #3 dealership. I think number 2 is Mullinax in Florida. You want a dealer getting allocations and can tell you roughly where you would stand in their prioritized order list.
  • Ask some simple questions before placing your order
    • Is a deposit required? Is it refundable?
    • Does the dealer understand how to do price protection? Will they honor it?
    • Will they use your email address so that you get the notifications from Ford when their updates on your order?
    • Will they provide you a DORA or printout of your order with the order number? Honor the MSRP listed on the printout?
    • What additional required fees or ADMs are there?
  • Make sure you get the printout and answers to the questions above in writing. You should know up front what you will pay when your Maverick arrives. And you want a dealership who will follow through on their part of the deal.
If you would be happy with an Ecoboost, you can buy plenty at MSRP or less spread out across the country (including XLs). If you need the Hybrid, plan on waiting for it or paying a small ADM (about $1500 seems common).

Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

The ordering thread permanent posts are very informative. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. There are lots of smart people on the list -- and dealer salespeople willing to provide you honest information whether you buy from them or not. Tim Bartz, Johnny's Car Care, etc. come to mind.

OP
OP

ejholbs

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge RAM 1500
Engine
Undecided
I think the answer differs if you qualify to go the fleet route instead of the retail ordering route.

If I was to summarize it, I would say:
  • Find a recommended dealership off the MTC recommendations and warnings list here (link at the word "here").
  • Know what your ideal configuration is, and what configuration you would be willing to accept. For example, the hybrids are still available to order. Yet, you will wait for several months since they still have a large number of unscheduled orders. The XL model is very popular. As such, an XLT or Lariat Hybrid might be produced earlier than a XL Hybrid. An Ecoboost should be produced in a relatively short amount of time. I suspect dealers will be able to place Stock orders for XLT and Lariat EB Mavericks soon.
  • Contact an appropriate salesperson and confirm how many Mavericks they get allocated and how many orders they already have ahead of you. You want a dealer getting allocations and filling orders quickly. Galpin Ford in CA is the #1 Maverick dealer in the US. They might have more allocations than retail orders. Long McArthur in Salina, Kansas is the #3 dealership. I think number 2 is Mullinax in Florida. You want a dealer getting allocations and can tell you roughly where you would stand in their prioritized order list.
  • Ask some simple questions before placing your order
    • Is a deposit required? Is it refundable?
    • Does the dealer understand how to do price protection? Will they honor it?
    • Will they use your email address so that you get the notifications from Ford when their updates on your order?
    • Will they provide you a DORA or printout of your order with the order number? Honor the MSRP listed on the printout?
    • What additional required fees or ADMs are there?
  • Make sure you get the printout and answers to the questions above in writing. You should know up front what you will pay when your Maverick arrives. And you want a dealership who will follow through on their part of the deal.
If you would be happy with an Ecoboost, you can buy plenty at MSRP or less spread out across the country (including XLs). If you need the Hybrid, plan on waiting for it or paying a small ADM (about $1500 seems common).

Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

The ordering thread permanent posts are very informative. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. There are lots of smart people on the list -- and dealer salespeople willing to provide you honest information whether you buy from them or not. Tim Bartz, Johnny's Car Care, etc. come to mind.
I am VERY spoiled with the hybrid. Being a contractor and service tech calls with 80% of travel mileage being in-city, I'll stick with the hybrid.
Waiting is not a problem. All Promaster City's still operate. It's just a ticking time bomb before major issues arise.
I remember asking for allocation #'s when I first came to this site (which greatly influenced me into getting my Maverick).
Printout makes good logical sense. Being a business owner, paperwork is key as compared to verbal.
Wish hybrids had tax deductions as compared to 100% EV. In my line of work, EV's wouldn't work.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In addition to what @prsncat covered, I find it useful to look at the new cars already on your selected dealer's lot. Look for BS additions there on the window stickers... Like Nitrogen filled tires, window etching, interior or exterior"protection packages", or the favorites, "Market Adjustment Fee" or the more plainly stated, "Additional Dealer Markup". If you see ANY of those, go to another dealer.

OP
OP

ejholbs

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge RAM 1500
Engine
Undecided
In addition to what @prsncat covered, I find it useful to look at the new cars already on your selected dealer's lot. Look for BS additions there on the window stickers... Like Nitrogen filled tires, window etching, interior or exterior"protection packages", or the favorites, "Market Adjustment Fee" or the more plainly stated, "Additional Dealer Markup". If you see ANY of those, go to another dealer.
I was in a rush at the time I bought my 2023 XLT Maverick. The Promaster City went into the shop on a Friday and we all thought it needed new transmission. Wasn't about to sink that kind of $$$ into a 120,000 mile truck. Hence, went to local dealership (Corwin Ford in Reno, NV) where I was adamant about knowing MSRP and unhappy with skyrocket addon pricetags. Yet cognitive of the fact that I was in a dire situation of needing a vehicle so didn't stamp feet or raise both fists in the air when I bought for $30k. Sticker price was $37'ish (I think).

Sponsored

prsncat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I am VERY spoiled with the hybrid. Being a contractor and service tech calls with 80% of travel mileage being in-city, I'll stick with the hybrid.
Waiting is not a problem. All Promaster City's still operate. It's just a ticking time bomb before major issues arise.
I remember asking for allocation #'s when I first came to this site (which greatly influenced me into getting my Maverick).
Printout makes good logical sense. Being a business owner, paperwork is key as compared to verbal.
Wish hybrids had tax deductions as compared to 100% EV. In my line of work, EV's wouldn't work.
Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of Nevada-based dealership recommendations (or warnings) -- Just the one in Henderson. :-(

Yet, it seems to me that working with a local dealership that is willing to deal with an intelligent and informed buyer should be willing to earn your business by treating you fairly, openly, and honestly. If you are willing to wait, order exactly what you want while the order system is still open.

The XL Hybrid is probably the most constrained combination at this point. A low-specification XLT Hybrid might be your best choice.

I went to the Long McArthur website and they have 2 XLT Hybrids available (on the lot) right now. Both are Atlas Blue Metallic with the tow hitch (MSRP of $29,510). The ADM is $1500 and brings it to $31,010 (and you might be able to negotiate this down and get shipping for a reasonable price).

If you can get an XL from a dealership, the MSRP is about $27,700 or about $1800 less.

Mike S

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Ecosport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is a HUGE advantage of ordering the Maverick as a fleet order. For ~$250 you will be able to order the backup parking sensor, so that you get a warning if you back into something. This option is available ONLY on fleet orders, even for a base XL model. If you order a retail Maverick, you can only get this option if you order a Lariat.

40caliber

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
forty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of Nevada-based dealership recommendations (or warnings) -- Just the one in Henderson. :-(

Yet, it seems to me that working with a local dealership that is willing to deal with an intelligent and informed buyer should be willing to earn your business by treating you fairly, openly, and honestly. If you are willing to wait, order exactly what you want while the order system is still open.

The XL Hybrid is probably the most constrained combination at this point. A low-specification XLT Hybrid might be your best choice.

I went to the Long McArthur website and they have 2 XLT Hybrids available (on the lot) right now. Both are Atlas Blue Metallic with the tow hitch (MSRP of $29,510). The ADM is $1500 and brings it to $31,010 (and you might be able to negotiate this down and get shipping for a reasonable price).

If you can get an XL from a dealership, the MSRP is about $27,700 or about $1800 less.
***How was the experience at the Henderson dealer?

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat, Lexus NX 300 Chrysler PT Cruiser 5 spd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Last week or maybe the week prior, Tim Bartz of Long McArthur, Salina KS posted here that he shipped a hybrid to, I think near the Bay Area in CA but the sale fell through so he had a hybrid to sell. There was an additional transport fee.. You might call and ask: (785) 823-2237 .
It's not a bad drive from the Bay Area back to Reno.

prsncat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Last week or maybe the week prior, Tim Bartz of Long McArthur, Salina KS posted here that he shipped a hybrid to, I think near the Bay Area in CA but the sale fell through so he had a hybrid to sell. There was an additional transport fee.. You might call and ask: (785) 823-2237 .
It's not a bad drive from the Bay Area back to Reno.
@ejholbs

It's an Atlas Blue 2024 XL Ecoboost. The thread can be found here
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/maverick-available-in-california.41593/
Sponsored