kskis

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hyundai Tucson SEL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I first heard about Mavericks sometime in 2021. I was driving the world's most boring, average AWD crossover, I was jealous of my fiance's Chevy Colorado Z71, and, as an outdoor enthusiast, I started daydreaming about how nice it would be to have a zippy little fuel efficient (somewhat) off-road capable pickup to commute in as well as haul mountain bikes, skis, and kayaks around. So, knowing I wouldn't get a Maverick for MSRP otherwise, I called up my local dealer and ordered a '23 XLT Lux Tremor the day the order banks closed in September 2022, just in case I wanted one.

I was beyond excited, for awhile. Then the Tremor window sticker with the lackluster highway MPG came out, and it got me thinking: do I really *need* a truck? Actually, do I really even want one? Do I really want to spend $14k+ over my trade value on a brand new vehicle (as good a value as it is) when I could probably find a much cheaper used one that would suit my purposes almost, if not as well? Plus, we all know the waiting game with Ford production is no fun at all.

And then this spunky, decked out, low-miles 2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk came on the market for a great price. No, it's not a truck. No, its little naturally aspirated 4-cylinder engine and clunky transmission will not be winning any drag races. And maybe it's a little small for big road trips. But it will go anywhere the Tremor would have gone, it's still a ton of fun, and even with the purchase of a 75k mile bumper-to-bumper extended warranty for that infamous Jeep (un)reliability, I still saved north of $10k over the Tremor. No regrets...so far.

Ford Maverick What I got instead of waiting for my Maverick Tremor 328472882_2388809437964872_1698804248479483045_n
Sponsored

snowkarver

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60, XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
zippy little fuel efficient (somewhat) off-road capable pickup to commute in as well as haul mountain bikes, skis, and kayaks around
Nice, enjoy! I think we must have very similar uses in mind, as the Renegade Trailhawk was one of the few vehicles I seriously considered last summer - but then Ford announced the Tremor in August and used cars of any kind were absolutely impossible to find.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I do really like the Renegades. The strut is a lil close to the tires but so is a maverick with anything over 30s in it. Size, clearance and angles, I would put one up against something like a stock(and i mean stock) CJ5-7 (and that is saying something as they will go anywhere) as far as ability is concerned. We just got our scheduled email for our Tremor, and it is the truck we want and need, anything smaller wouldnt cut it at all. We got 2 dogs about that size and take em everywhere always. Plus haul laundry water and propane everyweek to town, off-grid island life. Hope you enjoy it, as far as the Tremor mpg there is a guy cruising around 30mpg in his, however I expect he drives alot like my dad, I will probably be seeing 25mpg, which is double what I get now. Our islands speed limits are conducive to that 45-55mph average cruising speed. I still love that you can tune a Mav 2.0 to run low 13s stock.

OP
OP

kskis

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice, enjoy! I think we must have very similar uses in mind, as the Renegade Trailhawk was one of the few vehicles I seriously considered last summer - but then Ford announced the Tremor in August and used cars of any kind were absolutely impossible to find.
It was a super hard decision for me. I'm sure you'll love your Tremor, and I'm sure I would have loved mine! If I hadn't been able to get as good a deal as I got on the Renegade, I probably would have waited for my Tremor. Based on your signature, sounds like you're on the schedule for production this week...very exciting! I'm sure I will miss not being able to put bikes in the bed and having to use the rack that is *always* in the way of the hatchback instead, but I've been living the crossover/SUV life for awhile, so I'm used to it.

OP
OP

kskis

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I do really like the Renegades. The strut is a lil close to the tires but so is a maverick with anything over 30s in it. Size, clearance and angles, I would put one up against something like a stock(and i mean stock) CJ5-7 (and that is saying something as they will go anywhere) as far as ability is concerned. We just got our scheduled email for our Tremor, and it is the truck we want and need, anything smaller wouldnt cut it at all. We got 2 dogs about that size and take em everywhere always. Plus haul laundry water and propane everyweek to town, off-grid island life. Hope you enjoy it, as far as the Tremor mpg there is a guy cruising around 30mpg in his, however I expect he drives alot like my dad, I will probably be seeing 25mpg, which is double what I get now. Our islands speed limits are conducive to that 45-55mph average cruising speed. I still love that you can tune a Mav 2.0 to run low 13s stock.
Nice to hear you say good things about the Renegade Trailhawk. I was also looking at Compasses and Cherokees because I do worry about not having enough cargo space, but the price was right on this Renegade, and as we already own bike/ski/kayak racks, I don't think it'll be an issue very often...and if it is, can always buy a roof box or something. Like you, though, we do have a second big dog, so they might have to get a little cozy in the backseat.
Our second vehicle is a 3/4 ton truck (hubby sold his Colorado), so if we ever really need a bed/to do truck things, we can live with the 13 mpg for a few trips haha. As for the off-road ability, I'm really interested and excited to see how the Renegade Trailhawk does! I'm confident it will be more than sufficient for our needs, as would have been the Tremor.
MPG was more of a secondary concern; no matter the vehicle, if you want off-road capability you have to give it up. I'm sure this Trailhawk won't do much, if at all, better than the Tremor would have done. But actually in the couple of days I've had it I've been pleasantly surprised. We've been doing around 26-27mpg (per the calculator) with mostly highway driving, and it's been SUPER cold here (below zero F).
Congrats on getting your Tremor scheduled, enjoy it!

Sponsored

snowkarver

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60, XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Based on your signature, sounds like you're on the schedule for production this week...very exciting! I'm sure I will miss not being able to put bikes in the bed and having to use the rack that is *always* in the way of the hatchback instead, but I've been living the crossover/SUV life for awhile, so I'm used to it.
Ngl pretty excited to have this built.

LOL with the bike rack *always* in the way - this is like our #2 reason for the Mav. We have 4 FS bikes in the family and many trailheads that are within a 10-15 min drive but it's just a little too far (and too far up the mountain) for kids to ride to from home. So there is a 4-bike Yakima hitch that weighs 100+ pounds blocking the hatch of an XC60. All. Summer. Long. Mostly to shuttle bikes up the road. Wife can't even lift it up/down so we just put groceries in the back seat.

As soon as the snow melts, tailgate pad is going right on the Maverick and we're throwing bikes in the bed!

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had one of those. My only real frustration was that the relays for the power seats would randomly vibrate out of the fuse box. (Driver side, cargo area, behind the panel - the two silver-looking things). Had to reseat them from time to time. Otherwise, it was a fun ride while I had it (mine was a 16, Trailhawk, loaded, even the MySky roof).

OP
OP

kskis

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wife can't even lift it up/down so we just put groceries in the back seat.
LOL can't even explain to you how fully I relate to this. Luckily we just have two bikes to haul around (not that we don't occasionally have need for more) and therefore our rack is a lot easier to handle. When there aren't bikes on it it's not in the way (if folded down). It also has the ability to tilt down when the bikes are on it to open the hatchback if needed, but even with just 2 bikes on there that's kinda difficult to do.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was talking to my wife about jumping to one of the dozen Bronco Sports my dealer has. But we decided there was a reason I was getting a truck. It is the truck part I want.

OP
OP

kskis

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had one of those. My only real frustration was that the relays for the power seats would randomly vibrate out of the fuse box. (Driver side, cargo area, behind the panel - the two silver-looking things). Had to reseat them from time to time. Otherwise, it was a fun ride while I had it (mine was a 16, Trailhawk, loaded, even the MySky roof).
Really good to know, thanks for the tip! This one also has the MySky roof which I'm sure will be super fun in good weather! BUT the power moonroof feature of it doesn't work...I think some part(s) that actually allow the front panel to move are broken or misplaced somehow because the mechanism moves like it's supposed to, just doesn't actually open the roof. Going to try to see if I can fix it but if not...nbd. Dealer gave us extra money off for it so I see it as a good thing overall haha

Sponsored
OP
OP

kskis

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was talking to my wife about jumping to one of the dozen Bronco Sports my dealer has. But we decided there was a reason I was getting a truck. It is the truck part I want.
There are definitely things I will miss about not having a truck. I haven't actually cancelled my order yet (gonna drive my new Renegade around for a couple more days and cancel before Maverick scheduling on Thursday if I'm still feeling pleased with my new purchase), so if you want an XLT Lux Tremor with Copilot 360 that will be delivered to West Motor Ford in tiny Preston, Idaho you are welcome to take over my order haha. I'm sure that because I bought this Jeep my Tremor will get scheduled this week lol

Teannw

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
TeAnn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat alto blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I first heard about Mavericks sometime in 2021. I was driving the world's most boring, average AWD crossover, I was jealous of my fiance's Chevy Colorado Z71, and, as an outdoor enthusiast, I started daydreaming about how nice it would be to have a zippy little fuel efficient (somewhat) off-road capable pickup to commute in as well as haul mountain bikes, skis, and kayaks around. So, knowing I wouldn't get a Maverick for MSRP otherwise, I called up my local dealer and ordered a '23 XLT Lux Tremor the day the order banks closed in September 2022, just in case I wanted one.

I was beyond excited, for awhile. Then the Tremor window sticker with the lackluster highway MPG came out, and it got me thinking: do I really *need* a truck? Actually, do I really even want one? Do I really want to spend $14k+ over my trade value on a brand new vehicle (as good a value as it is) when I could probably find a much cheaper used one that would suit my purposes almost, if not as well? Plus, we all know the waiting game with Ford production is no fun at all.

And then this spunky, decked out, low-miles 2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk came on the market for a great price. No, it's not a truck. No, its little naturally aspirated 4-cylinder engine and clunky transmission will not be winning any drag races. And maybe it's a little small for big road trips. But it will go anywhere the Tremor would have gone, it's still a ton of fun, and even with the purchase of a 75k mile bumper-to-bumper extended warranty for that infamous Jeep (un)reliability, I still saved north of $10k over the Tremor. No regrets...so far.

328472882_2388809437964872_1698804248479483045_n.jpg

Mav2024

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good thing you got the the warranty
I have a 18 renegade Lat. bought it with 4k miles now it has 26k, lets see...
AC broke 3 times in about a year and a half of owning it.
My sky roof broke, it would not retract, it had to be completely replaced. DO NOT PUSH THE BUTTON WHEN THE PANEL IS OFF. At least 5k to replace.
The 8in Uconnect stereo started to delaminate and stopped working, had to be replaced, that was around $2K, this is common on all Dodge Jeep Chrysler vehicles with the 8in.
Oh yeah I was going down a dirt road in the mountains next to a steep cliff and the brake pedal got stuck to the floor and would not release, I had to turn the jeep towards the mountain and use the e brake to stop the jeep. After about 10 minutes the pedal released, went to town. It happened again. I had to drive home wondering if the brakes were going to work. The next day I took it to the dealer and they said they had no appointments. I told them I'm not driving it.
When I finally got it back they told me some bolts or screws were loose and that is why the brake pedal was getting stuck to the floor.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How do you like the interior space .Curious if they were roomy enough

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good thing you got the the warranty
I have a 18 renegade Lat. bought it with 4k miles now it has 26k, lets see...
AC broke 3 times in about a year and a half of owning it.
My sky roof broke, it would not retract, it had to be completely replaced. DO NOT PUSH THE BUTTON WHEN THE PANEL IS OFF. At least 5k to replace.
The 8in Uconnect stereo started to delaminate and stopped working, had to be replaced, that was around $2K, this is common on all Dodge Jeep Chrysler vehicles with the 8in.
Oh yeah I was going down a dirt road in the mountains next to a steep cliff and the brake pedal got stuck to the floor and would not release, I had to turn the jeep towards the mountain and use the e brake to stop the jeep. After about 10 minutes the pedal released, went to town. It happened again. I had to drive home wondering if the brakes were going to work. The next day I took it to the dealer and they said they had no appointments. I told them I'm not driving it.
When I finally got it back they told me some bolts or screws were loose and that is why the brake pedal was getting stuck to the floor.
Lord have Mercy. Sounds like Ford is not the only auto mfg that has problems. I assume all that was covered under warranty.....
Sponsored