First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm curious how other people are thinking about value for money with the Maverick. I know this is pretty subjective, but I find it helpful to hear how other people are approaching this.

For me, the value is greatest at the low end. I initially ordered an XL with CoPilot-360, a spray-in bed liner, a removable mat (normally I'd get this aftermarket but it takes a while for those options to be available), and a trailer hitch. At a little under $25k OTD, this feels like a lot for the money. When I see a Lariat with all the upgrades, it starts to seem like less of a value compared to the midsize trucks. For $35k (or a bit more) you are into midsize pickup money but have far less capability towing or off-roading. Mid-20s? It's in a league of its own. Mid-30s? It's a harder comparison with a bunch of other nice trucks.

I ended up changing my order to an XLT with the same options (OTD a little over $27k) for a couple of reasons. I really like the interior of the XLT--it feels like this was the focus of a lot of the design efforts and then the XL was made deliberately less interesting. The orange highlights are fun, I worry that the steel wheels of the XL won't age well, cruise control is hard to live without, and the extra tie-down points in the bed seem really useful, etc. But one thing that really swayed me was that I punched in some hypothetical Ranger builds for a 2020 Ranger XL with 15,000 miles and a similar XLT, each equipped as close as I could get them to my Maverick builds. The valuations came out with a $5k-$6k difference, much more than I expected. I normally expect any premium features to depreciate faster than the base truck, but maybe getting it too plain hurts the value, too. Today's market is weird, but it made me rethink some of my choices. The XLT is $2,300 more, but I'll get some of that back when I sell it, and I think I'll get most of the XLT premium back but I doubt I would get as much of the extra value of a Lariat back if I sell in a few years.

I also don't expect to keep my Maverick forever. Maybe 5 years? I think a plug-in hybrid is the sweet spot for a truck (full electric for my daily commute, but able to go on trips without range anxiety) and I expect to have some compelling options in a few years. Also, the next-gen Tacoma should be out in 2-3 years and once it has had a couple years to mature (5 years from now?) I might be ready for a long-term Tacoma (the current gen has a lot of compromises that I don't like, but I trust Toyota overall). I find it useful to think of a shorter time horizon. If I'm thinking of keeping a vehicle forever, it's easier to talk myself into a bunch of expensive features (after all, I'll benefit for years and years). If I think of it as a 3-5 year vehicle, I can be a lot more coldly analytical about the value proposition. Is it really worth paying $x for feature y, or can I live without it for a few years and get it on my next vehicle?

So what do you think? What are the features you think are either well worth the money for the utility/quality of life, or you might as well get because you will probably get most of that value back when you sell it some time in the future? Where is the sweet spot in you mind?
Sponsored

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
I ordered an XL with the 2.0 Ecoboost, fwd, 4k towing, a full size spare, plastic drop in bedliner, floormats, and the backseat power outlet. I added a dealer option for tinted windows to bring them total to $24,683.

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm curious how other people are thinking about value for money with the Maverick. I know this is pretty subjective, but I find it helpful to hear how other people are approaching this.

For me, the value is greatest at the low end. I initially ordered an XL with CoPilot-360, a spray-in bed liner, a removable mat (normally I'd get this aftermarket but it takes a while for those options to be available), and a trailer hitch. At a little under $25k OTD, this feels like a lot for the money. When I see a Lariat with all the upgrades, it starts to seem like less of a value compared to the midsize trucks. For $35k (or a bit more) you are into midsize pickup money but have far less capability towing or off-roading. Mid-20s? It's in a league of its own. Mid-30s? It's a harder comparison with a bunch of other nice trucks.

I ended up changing my order to an XLT with the same options (OTD a little over $27k) for a couple of reasons. I really like the interior of the XLT--it feels like this was the focus of a lot of the design efforts and then the XL was made deliberately less interesting. The orange highlights are fun, I worry that the steel wheels of the XL won't age well, cruise control is hard to live without, and the extra tie-down points in the bed seem really useful, etc. But one thing that really swayed me was that I punched in some hypothetical Ranger builds for a 2020 Ranger XL with 15,000 miles and a similar XLT, each equipped as close as I could get them to my Maverick builds. The valuations came out with a $5k-$6k difference, much more than I expected. I normally expect any premium features to depreciate faster than the base truck, but maybe getting it too plain hurts the value, too. Today's market is weird, but it made me rethink some of my choices. The XLT is $2,300 more, but I'll get some of that back when I sell it, and I think I'll get most of the XLT premium back but I doubt I would get as much of the extra value of a Lariat back if I sell in a few years.

I also don't expect to keep my Maverick forever. Maybe 5 years? I think a plug-in hybrid is the sweet spot for a truck (full electric for my daily commute, but able to go on trips without range anxiety) and I expect to have some compelling options in a few years. Also, the next-gen Tacoma should be out in 2-3 years and once it has had a couple years to mature (5 years from now?) I might be ready for a long-term Tacoma (the current gen has a lot of compromises that I don't like, but I trust Toyota overall). I find it useful to think of a shorter time horizon. If I'm thinking of keeping a vehicle forever, it's easier to talk myself into a bunch of expensive features (after all, I'll benefit for years and years). If I think of it as a 3-5 year vehicle, I can be a lot more coldly analytical about the value proposition. Is it really worth paying $x for feature y, or can I live without it for a few years and get it on my next vehicle?

So what do you think? What are the features you think are either well worth the money for the utility/quality of life, or you might as well get because you will probably get most of that value back when you sell it some time in the future? Where is the sweet spot in you mind?
I think the xl or lower priced truck is a better value as well. Mine started out that way but ended up over 32k. No matter the level they are all likely going to be good lil trucks, especially considering the cost of new vehicles.

Dan_E26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus, 2018 Sonata SEL
I think if you keep your build sub-30K you're getting a pretty sweet deal.

Literally doing nothing but optioning a crew cab and 4WD will have the MSRP pushing $40K in most midsize trucks, before you've even added any options. Yes, they tow more. Yes, they're bigger. Yes, they're better offroad, but the people who are towing large items regularly or doing serious offroading weren't considering the maverick anyway.

The Maverick's meant to be a light duty ute that spends most of its life on-road (although the torture test vids I've seen may prove that wrong). I'm coming out of a Focus hatch, wanting a small pickup cause I'd like the ground clearance and a bed to put my smelly, wet waders, my kayak, or other fishing gear. Young people ditching their sedans or small SUVs are the target market here, and for that audience the Maverick is a huge value

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
I'll add that the XL budget truck is where Ford is going to win new customers. I've been driving a 2011 Kia Forte ever since we upgraded my wife to a Sorento. The Forte is a good reliable little car, but it doesn't suit me and it doesn't meet all of my cargo needs. I have two small kids, so the passenger space has been adequate. I've been wanting a truck for a long time, but i was unwilling to drop $35,000 on a new crew cab truck or $10,000 on a high mileage used truck. The lower trim level Maverick hits the sweet spot on price to compete against small sedans like the Forte and Civic and Sentra. As you approach (or exceed) $30,000 the target customer shifts to people that are already loyal to Ford or people that could already afford to be in a newish pickup truck. So the real value is in the XL trim.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jwiedle24

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat w/Luxury Pkg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I agree the value is in the lower trims, but that’s true for any car and model. At least Toyota, Honda etc include all their safety features standard in their base trims.

I would have loved to be able to get an XLT as I like the interior better. But going from my feature-packed sedan, I can’t go backwards on some features so I’m stuck going Lariat. Which even with the quote I got around $32k with moonroof, hard trifold tonneau, copilot and luxury package — I will get most of my current features but add the utility of a bed and increased mpg — for about the same MSRP as my current 2018 Mazda6 grand touring reserve.

So yes, the Maverick can get near mid-size truck pricing, but with midsize trucks you’re back at square one with no features and terrible mpgs — and probably can’t fit it in the garage.

dldsm7

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agreed. I’ve ordered both the XL and XLT in the same configurations (AWD, 4K towing). I am still on the fence on an XL or XLT Ranger but waiting to test drive the maverick first.

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX
I will buck the trend and argue that the hybrid lariat with the luxury package is actually the best value. First I have to point out that value =/= cheapest. A hybrid drive train as standard is the most obvious value buy when it comes to the maverick. While every other manufacturer is forcing you to pay a premium for a hybrid drivetrain, Ford is providing it as standard which makes it the easiest decision ever unless you need to tow. I specifically feel the lariat w/ luxury package is the best value when it comes to trim level and options. Why? Because I look around at other vehicles both from Ford and other manufacturers and I look at what it costs to get those same features like adaptive cruise control w/ lane centering, heated everything, led headlights, ambient lighting, push button start, remote start, extra bed tie down points, Sirius radio, premium sound system, power driver and passenger seats, big dash display between my gauges etc, etc, etc and I have a hard time finding other vehicles that are offering all of those kind of features for $31,000. To get all of that for such a price point is a great value and I really believe worth the extra money over the XLT. In ten years when it’s time to sell this truck and all of those things are now considered standard for cars the XLT will feel outdated while the loaded lariat will not.

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
I will buck the trend and argue that the hybrid lariat with the luxury package is actually the best value. First I have to point out that value =/= cheapest. A hybrid drive train as standard is the most obvious value buy when it comes to the maverick. While every other manufacturer is forcing you to pay a premium for a hybrid drivetrain, Ford is providing it as standard which makes it the easiest decision ever unless you need to tow. I specifically feel the lariat w/ luxury package is the best value when it comes to trim level and options. Why? Because I look around at other vehicles both from Ford and other manufacturers and I look at what it costs to get those same features like adaptive cruise control w/ lane centering, heated everything, led headlights, ambient lighting, push button start, remote start, extra bed tie down points, Sirius radio, premium sound system, power driver and passenger seats, big dash display between my gauges etc, etc, etc and I have a hard time finding other vehicles that are offering all of those kind of features for $31,000. To get all of that for such a price point is a great value and I really believe worth the extra money over the XLT. In ten years when it’s time to sell this truck and all of those things are now considered standard for cars the XLT will feel outdated while the loaded lariat will not.
I'm curious what people would be looking for in a ten year old truck. If I was looking for a used truck, all of those features would be meaningless. I'd be looking at 1) seating capacity 2) payload 3) towing capacity and 4) everything functioning as expected. With remote starts and satellite radio and heated seats and infotainment systems and everything else, that Lariat is packed with techno-liabilities.

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm curious what people would be looking for in a ten year old truck. If I was looking for a used truck, all of those features would be meaningless. I'd be looking at 1) seating capacity 2) payload 3) towing capacity and 4) everything functioning as expected. With remote starts and satellite radio and heated seats and infotainment systems and everything else, that Lariat is packed with techno-liabilities.
I think you need to reconsider exactly who is buying a ten year old, entry level truck. It’s not you and me, it’s a younger person with limited means. I believe they are going to be looking for as modern a vehicle as their money will allow and that means finding an older vehicle that is well optioned. I don’t believe the younger generations view technology in vehicles as a liability.

Sponsored

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
I think you need to reconsider exactly who is buying a ten year old, entry level truck. It’s not you and me, it’s a younger person with limited means. I believe they are going to be looking for as modern a vehicle as their money will allow and that means finding an older vehicle that is well optioned. I don’t believe the younger generations view technology in vehicles as a liability.
Take a look at what a 10 year old crew cab base model F-150 with 175,000 miles sells for. I assure you, it's far more than a very well appointed Ford Escape of them same year and mileage. People looking at trucks want capability above all else.

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take a look at what a 10 year old crew cab base model F-150 with 175,000 miles sells for. I assure you, it's far more than a very well appointed Ford Escape of them same year and mileage. People looking at trucks want capability above all else.
The maverick is not a half ton truck and it’s aimed at a completely different market segment. No one is buying a maverick for “capability”, they are buying it for practicality. Price, fuel economy and practicality, three things that larger trucks don’t have.

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
The maverick is not a half ton truck and it’s aimed at a completely different market segment. No one is buying a maverick for “capability”, they are buying it for practicality. Price, fuel economy and practicality, three things that larger trucks don’t have.
Nonsense. I'm buying mine for capability. With a bed for moving furniture or mulch or all of your stuff for a camping trip and the ability to tow up to 4k lbs, it's a huge step up from anything I've driven in the past. The next closest thing I've had was my 93 Explorer.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98

Hi Russ. Interesting questions. I was a plumbing contractor and have a 2013 longbed F150 with 15k towing and very good 4X4. It's an XLT and the fancy stuff is nice while it works, but I would rather do without. It was the only longbed they could find at the time. I inherited a beautiful low miles Honda FWD but don't drive it on forest roads or in snow over about three or four inches.

For me the Mav will cover way more of my needs than the Honda. The goal is to save the F150 for the real work. I'll drive the Mav until the wheels fall off so resale is not a concern for me.

All I ask for in options is intermittent wipers and cruise control. CC is important for me because I've got a bum foot which creates discomfort in short time holding the gas pedal steady. But I will get the XL anyway and hope for an aftermarket option.

Lots of people say AWD is stupid and yes, we made do with FWD in high school. But way up here in NW Montana FWD has gone the way of the Dodo bird. The turbo will be a fun little extra.

P.S. I was a hard core Toyota guy back in the day. They are still great rigs. But the mpg sucks and dollar for dollar a Ford is a much better deal. That's just my opinion.

dldsm7

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi Russ. Interesting questions. I was a plumbing contractor and have a 2013 longbed F150 with 15k towing and very good 4X4. It's an XLT and the fancy stuff is nice while it works, but I would rather do without. It was the only longbed they could find at the time. I inherited a beautiful low miles Honda FWD but don't drive it on forest roads or in snow over about three or four inches.

For me the Mav will cover way more of my needs than the Honda. The goal is to save the F150 for the real work. I'll drive the Mav until the wheels fall off so resale is not a concern for me.

All I ask for in options is intermittent wipers and cruise control. CC is important for me because I've got a bum foot which creates discomfort in short time holding the gas pedal steady. But I will get the XL anyway and hope for an aftermarket option.

Lots of people say AWD is stupid and yes, we made do with FWD in high school. But way up here in NW Montana FWD has gone the way of the Dodo bird. The turbo will be a fun little extra.

P.S. I was a hard core Toyota guy back in the day. They are still great rigs. But the mpg sucks and dollar for dollar a Ford is a much better deal. That's just my opinion.
well talking MPG, the AWD 2.0 system isn’t going to be a world beater. I would bet only a few digits better than a Ranger or Tacoma (v6).

however an AWD Mav is still 5k cheaper, smaller, and has better tech than a 4x4 Tacoma so there are some pros!
Sponsored