First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
My 2019 Tacoma has been recalled 2 times with less than 20,000 miles and in the shop 6 times for unscheduled maintenance. It’s supposedly supposed to be “uber reliable”. Not in my experience. So I don’t put much into “reliability” any more.

I shop for what I want and need not what potential resale would be. One only realizes resale if sold, it’s not guaranteed for all markets.
I had a 2019 Tacoma also. Hated it. Every time I took it in, I’d have the trans reflashed. Couldn’t use cruise because it kept shifting.
Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wondering how the hybrid maverick will hold up against the 2.0. Maybe not the best comparison but looked at a 2017 fusion ice vs hybrid and the KBB for the regular version was $900 more.
As hybrids, plug-in hybrids and pure electrics make more inroads in the market and become more mainstream, I believe we will see that price comparison flip.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
As hybrids, plug-in hybrids and pure electrics make more inroads in the market and become more mainstream, I believe we will see that price comparison flip.
Yes. And EVs have a fraction of the maintenance. I think the motor has like one moving part. Gas engines have about a thousand bathed in oil. Plus 78 percent of the gasoline energy turns into heat and pollution.
But I'm so excited to see a compact 5-pack that I'm getting one. I only wish they called it the PINTO!

Ford Maverick Value for money 2022 Maverick commodities constraints

NerdLefty

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota RAV4
I think you need to reconsider exactly who is buying a ten year old, entry level truck. It’s not you and me, it’s a younger person with limited means. I believe they are going to be looking for as modern a vehicle as their money will allow and that means finding an older vehicle that is well optioned. I don’t believe the younger generations view technology in vehicles as a liability.
Speaking as a younger buyer who was car/truck hunting on the used market before the Mav was announced, the first thing I'm willing to compromise on is the tech in a car. If it's going to end up costing me more than an extra month's payment, chuck it. Dealer suggested the luxury package for an XLT because I wanted spray in bed and hitch. I'd end up paying an extra 2 grand for the other things (remote start, heated seats, nicer interior). They would be nice to have, but I'd rather put that money towards more practical stuff

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Speaking as a younger buyer who was car/truck hunting on the used market before the Mav was announced, the first thing I'm willing to compromise on is the tech in a car. If it's going to end up costing me more than an extra month's payment, chuck it. Dealer suggested the luxury package for an XLT because I wanted spray in bed and hitch. I'd end up paying an extra 2 grand for the other things (remote start, heated seats, nicer interior). They would be nice to have, but I'd rather put that money towards more practical stuff
Even middle aged buyers like me are willing to compromise on tech. I was literally looking at the used car market when the Maverick was announced, and my chief concern technology wise was that it had Bluetooth. The android auto is a really nice bonus, and I'll take it, but yeah, I can live without it.

Sponsored

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Even middle aged buyers like me are willing to compromise on tech. I was literally looking at the used car market when the Maverick was announced, and my chief concern technology wise was that it had Bluetooth. The android auto is a really nice bonus, and I'll take it, but yeah, I can live without it.
Bluetooth audio that works well is the the only real must have. My X3 is horrible! Even the Toyota system works better. I'm hoping that the Ford Synch will be a nice upgrade. As for the other Nanny items, I have them either turned off or disabled. The best implementation I saw was some of the Honda ones, but even then I could do without them!

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm almost 55 and I can't live without Android Auto.

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm middle aged and I'm coming from a car (Hyundai Palisade Limited AWD) that had everything! The charm of the Maverick for me is on the XL. Like the saying goes, " What was once old, is new again!" Having a key in ignition kinda gives me that vintage throwback feeling.

Apart from that, In my opinion, Ford still has alot of catching up to do when it comes to pricing their trims and what goes into those trims. Hands down, the best bang for your buck as far as luxury and accesorries goes are the ones from Hyundai/Kia. They are light years away when it comes to designing their vehicles and giving their customers a lot of high end luxury specs usually only achievable buying german cars!

The Maverick for me is a utility vehicle first and family hauler second. Everything I will be using already exist on the XL (the bed, hybrid with 500 mile range, smaller frame..etc) with a few add ons.

H0pelessOpus

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat - 2022 Explorer Timberline
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Originally my wife and I were planning on ordering a Bronco Sport. Before the Maverick was released I figured it would be more expensive than the Sport and didn't really give it a 2nd thought. But I totally forgot that the Ranger existed and Ford needed to avoid too much price overlap.

Maverick Lariat 2.0L
- Luxury Package
- 4k Tow
- FX4
- 17" Wheel w/ 235/65 AT Tires

Bronco Sport Badlands
- Badlands Package
- Tow
- Ford Co-Pilot360™ Assist+
- 17" Wheel w/ 235/65 AT Tires

Here's a quick breakdown of our pro/cons which are obviously subjective. We both like the looks of the BS better however the Maverick pricing is super aggressive for what is effectively the same car underneath.

Badlands BSMaverick
Powertrain--
Exterior Stylingx
AWD Systemx
Interior Stylingx
Headroomx
Leg room--
Utilityx
Pricex

LaserGecko

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan XTerra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm almost 55 and I can't live without Android Auto.
It's not perfect, but the difference between having Android Auto and not having it is Grand Canyon sized.

I will never buy another modern car without it.

Sponsored

LaserGecko

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan XTerra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Have you actually used Android Auto?

I have for the past two years and I just completed my first cross country trip with it. I'll never buy another modern car that does not offer it.

Waze on the vehicle's touchscreen is essential.

NerdLefty

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota RAV4
I think for a lot of people who are comfortable using a smartphone, 'cutting edge' tech becomes a bit redundant. Nice to have, but a bare bones vehicle can be made pretty smart with a dash phone mount and a Bluetooth transmitter. I wonder if that's what Ford was aiming for with the base model. They didn't quite hit the mark (no cruise control? Really?) I'd be interested to see what improvements they make, especially in a hyper practical facing vehicle like the Maverick.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Have you actually used Android Auto?

I have for the past two years and I just completed my first cross country trip with it. I'll never buy another modern car that does not offer it.

Waze on the vehicle's touchscreen is essential.
I've used it in friends vehicles and rentals. It's nice, but I accomplish the same things with my phone mounted on my windshield. 🤷‍♂️

In some ways I think it's safer as I don't have to glance at my console to see the map.

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX
Have you had a vehicle with adaptive cruise and lane centering? It’s another piece of tech that you can never go back from once you’ve had it.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Have you had a vehicle with adaptive cruise and lane centering? It’s another piece of tech that you can never go back from once you’ve had it.
No, and I still wont with the trim I've selected. Some people like different things, and have different priorities. The value proposition for me, with the maverick, is that I am getting a new vehicle, with a new warranty, and amazing gas mileage for just a little more than I was planning to spend on the used market. If I added all the bells and whistles I'd be over the cost of what I can afford right now.
Sponsored