Sponsored

Underbody splash shield missing a cover?

Clydemung

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Velocity Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Log time lurker, first time poster.

I've recently took possession of my 2022 XLT Maverick, velocity blue, and I was under it and I noticed what appears to be a missing cover. Here the picture:
Ford Maverick Underbody splash shield missing a cover? IMG_20221108_082823_01

As you can see the rectangular opening has slots that would hold the cover's tabs. I showed the picture to the dealer and they agreed it's missing. Anyone else noticed it's missing on their's? It's also possible the cover on some Mavericks don't have this opening. They ordered part number NZ6Z-6775-A to replace what's there but they have no idea when it'll come in.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Clydemung

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Velocity Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I guess I'll have wait and see the part the dealer ordered. Didn't know there was a recall for an engine compartment fires.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The opening you're thinking is missing a cover is, in fact, one of the holes added as part of the recall.

Ford Maverick Underbody splash shield missing a cover? 1667925809898

On mine (produced before the recall) that square area was embossed as if it was intended to be an access opening. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some point in its design life for the Escape/Corsair/Bronco Sport to have a cover there (or maybe they do on other powertrains?) and Ford simply added that back in to the cutting die to accord with the recall remediation design.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just wanted to update this thread that in the OP's photo, that hole has an intake/snorkel that provides cool air to the PTU on AWD models. The slots on the sides are where the plastic intake snaps together to attach to the engine splash shield. Maybe they started installing these on the Hybrids for cooling but I'm going to guess that OP has an EB model with AWD and is missing the intake.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Except there's a conspicuous lack of a rear driveshaft above the exhaust. So it's either a FWD EcoBoost (do those still have the cutout?) or Hybrid.

Gstamper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Dodge b200, 2016 Nissan Versa Note, 2012 Tiff
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mine is a 2023 front wheel drive EcoBoost and I wondered the same thing, because that little door is not present

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine is a 2023 front wheel drive EcoBoost and I wondered the same thing, because that little door is not present
There's no door. On an AWD EcoBoost there would be a plastic air scoop there to direct cooling towards the PTU assembly.