First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This afternoon our area in southern Ontario got hit with 6-8” of snow. So i got to test out the AWD system for my hour long (in good weather) commute home. The storm was fairly sudden, with lots of drifts. Multiple stuck vehicles passed on the way home. Maverick was incredible. I just have middle of the road goodyear winters. Never was close to getting stuck. Drifted every open corner with confidence. If you get your settings right, the AWD system is predictable, reliable, maintains traction and steerability impressively. Thats the coles notes… here’s some more in depth notes for whoever cares:

1. Drive modes: If you’re comfortable driving in these conditions, Sport mode W/O traction control gives you the most control. It ensures quicker access to the power when you need it and the downshift braking assist with stopping in the snow too. Its not perfect. I wish it would let you cruise in 8th gear… so on long straights i’d swap back to normal or slippery mode. If you’re trying to dart around a snowy town though, sport mode will be great.

If you arent super comfortable in snow, slippery or normal mode is fine. It just cuts power and understeers more than id like. It reacts more similarly to a FWD vehicle with good traction. Or a front weighted AWD vehicle like most SUVs.

2. Transmission: These are the only times I wish there was a manual mode. I recognize the cost and design complications this provides for a dial shifter vehicle. But I would love some paddle shifters for the 0.01% of my drives that involve heavy snow lol cuz heres a couple things that happen. On one side of things sport mode keeps you out of cruising gears mostly… so theres a kinda incessant whine between 40-60mph and the truck often cant figure out which gear it wants to be in. On the other side of things, even in sport mode ocassionally when youre feathering out a drift itll shift unexpectedly… which can be kinda jarring. It shifts very quickly so its not like it throws you into a fishtail or anything… but its enough that you’ll notice it when it happens and its discomforting.

in the end what i’m saying is it handles the snow like a champ. This drive was pretty extreme and i was avoiding travelled routes so i wouldn’t have to worry about other drives and avoiding accidents etc, so my route was even more snowy than it would have been. I never feared getting stuck. The truck always felt in control. My only gripe is how and when it puts the power down because of the above issue i mentioned. Its a manual shift selection mode away from being on par with any subaru you can find out there. Though in the mav’s defence… most subarus are now gutless CVTs that probably have similar power transmission ratio Selection issues as the maverick. But when comparing to the subarus of our hearts and memories, the ones that give you feel, control, and the ability to shift with this fancy thing us old people call a stick shifter… the lack of gear selection is my only small gripe with my Maverick’s snow performance.
Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This afternoon our area in southern Ontario got hit with 6-8” of snow. So i got to test out the AWD system for my hour long (in good weather) commute home. The storm was fairly sudden, with lots of drifts. Multiple stuck vehicles passed on the way home. Maverick was incredible. I just have middle of the road goodyear winters. Never was close to getting stuck. Drifted every open corner with confidence. If you get your settings right, the AWD system is predictable, reliable, maintains traction and steerability impressively. Thats the coles notes… here’s some more in depth notes for whoever cares:

1. Drive modes: If you’re comfortable driving in these conditions, Sport mode W/O traction control gives you the most control. It ensures quicker access to the power when you need it and the downshift braking assist with stopping in the snow too. Its not perfect. I wish it would let you cruise in 8th gear… so on long straights i’d swap back to normal or slippery mode. If you’re trying to dart around a snowy town though, sport mode will be great.

If you arent super comfortable in snow, slippery or normal mode is fine. It just cuts power and understeers more than id like. It reacts more similarly to a FWD vehicle with good traction. Or a front weighted AWD vehicle like most SUVs.

2. Transmission: These are the only times I wish there was a manual mode. I recognize the cost and design complications this provides for a dial shifter vehicle. But I would love some paddle shifters for the 0.01% of my drives that involve heavy snow lol cuz heres a couple things that happen. On one side of things sport mode keeps you out of cruising gears mostly… so theres a kinda incessant whine between 40-60mph and the truck often cant figure out which gear it wants to be in. On the other side of things, even in sport mode ocassionally when youre feathering out a drift itll shift unexpectedly… which can be kinda jarring. It shifts very quickly so its not like it throws you into a fishtail or anything… but its enough that you’ll notice it when it happens and its discomforting.

in the end what i’m saying is it handles the snow like a champ. This drive was pretty extreme and i was avoiding travelled routes so i wouldn’t have to worry about other drives and avoiding accidents etc, so my route was even more snowy than it would have been. I never feared getting stuck. The truck always felt in control. My only gripe is how and when it puts the power down because of the above issue i mentioned. Its a manual shift selection mode away from being on par with any subaru you can find out there. Though in the mav’s defence… most subarus are now gutless CVTs that probably have similar power transmission ratio Selection issues as the maverick. But when comparing to the subarus of our hearts and memories, the ones that give you feel, control, and the ability to shift with this fancy thing us old people call a stick shifter… the lack of gear selection is my only small gripe with my Maverick’s snow performance.
Now. I want this similar report with a hybrid. I've had good luck with fwd and for the past 6 years have carried chains but never needed them. As soon as I get my Maverick I'm getting some steelies and putting some snows on them. Will probably do four but considering just two. My Maverick is "in production" and might get it in Feb. So might wait till next snow season. Jeez, the timing.

Snowbird

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV 2018
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Now. I want this similar report with a hybrid. I've had good luck with fwd and for the past 6 years have carried chains but never needed them. As soon as I get my Maverick I'm getting some steelies and putting some snows on them. Will probably do four but considering just two. My Maverick is "in production" and might get it in Feb. So might wait till next snow season. Jeez, the timing.
This is what I will be doing also. I always put snows on all four wheels for braking and cornering. I have driven in the snow a lot and going forward is rarely the problem, it is stopping and cornering that gets most drivers in trouble.

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Cadillac CTS; Ordered '23 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone have insight on whether or not to put in some sandbag or weight in the bed for winter driving? Especially for FWD models? I'm figuring with the shorted bed and weight distribution that it doesn't matter as much as older truck models, but wanted to know if anyone had insight either way and whether it's still or good idea or not needed

Maverick2112

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 xl hybrid.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My hybrid did exceptional yesterday here in the deepish Michigan snow. My driveway is steep and it went right up it (wife got stuck). I have always used two sets of wheels (one set with winter tires) but I'm getting sick of changing wheels so I bought Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires and they are amazing!

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Does anyone have insight on whether or not to put in some sandbag or weight in the bed for winter driving? Especially for FWD models? I'm figuring with the shorted bed and weight distribution that it doesn't matter as much as older truck models, but wanted to know if anyone had insight either way and whether it's still or good idea or not needed
Seems counterproductive to me as the rear wheels just trail and weight there just means drag. The front wheels do all the work. Get snows if you want better traction.

dadd75

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.universityofheaven.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 2013 Buick Encore
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My hybrid did exceptional yesterday here in the deepish Michigan snow. My driveway is steep and it went right up it (wife got stuck). I have always used two sets of wheels (one set with winter tires) but I'm getting sick of changing wheels so I bought Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires and they are amazing!
I lived in Traverse City, MI, northwest corner of the mitt, and drove a FWD Chevy HHR for 16 years and never got stuck once in my 14 mile commute to work. I had Blizzak snow tires and they worked great!

Snowbird

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV 2018
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I keep hearing great things about the CrossClimat 2 tires. Have you noticed any difference in MPG's since putting them on?

Maverick2112

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 xl hybrid.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I keep hearing great things about the CrossClimat 2 tires. Have you noticed any difference in MPG's since putting them on?
I really can't say, as I put them on quickly and when I picked up my truck in November, it started to turn cold, which hurts the MPGs. I will say I'm averaging 40mpg (actual, not computer) My commute is mostly 2 lane roads with some sections 25 to 35mph speed limit.

OP
OP

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It still helps keep you planted. For this report i had roughly 200lbs of tools in the back

Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agree, my Mav has been surprisingly good in the snow. We've finally been getting some snow here in Ohio, so putting the Mav to the test. The Falkens are quite grippy for AT tires. Of course, being new helps tremendously. Feels much more planted than my AWD Pilot, mostly due to tires I'm sure (Pilot has crappy continental cross contact). The AWD system responds quickly to road conditions.

So yeah, overall, very happy with the Mav's snow performance!

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hybrid does just fine in snow. Drove on a side street that was not plowed, but driven on, after we got 14" of snow in late December. No problem at all, all weather Nokian WR-G4s. Just like any FWD, the back will want to take off a little in transition zones when going from well maintained roads to ones that are not. Just use a little caution in that scenario and you'll be fine. I used a combination of slippery on snow/ice covered roads, or normal on well plowed/salted roads. My bed was empty, other than a snow shovel.

Last edited:

Angry Steve

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick on order
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I advise getting four snows/winters on rims. The same traction on all four corners is important. Also will keep the wear between winter tires and summer tires relatively even.

IAMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vw jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great to hear, I'm switching my tires for those as a all season tire that is great in snow

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The hybrid is going to be the same as any other FWD car/sedan you have used in the snow, tires are gonna make the difference.

It is odd that the AWD snow report threads tend to wind up being mostly Hybrid owners talking about how good they do in the snow with a mpg report thrown in for good measure lol.

The op was just explaining how the different drive modes work in the snow with the engine/trans/ptu of the AWD system, which is interesting to read. I have noticed the mode makes a drastic difference in the front to rear power bias when watching the intelligent drive screen, sport is almost 50/50 at all times unless there is slipping.
Sponsored