Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thats a real false equivalence comparing driving a maverick through snow, to space exploration and the like. We have the privilege of standing on the shoulders of giants to know that the Maverick is not designed and built for the extremes.

With that said everyone is entitled to do how they please and push the maverick to the limits how they see fit. I just like realistic expectations. Regardless of how hopeful we are. I can't count how many times I've seen burned out full size trucks from people trying to take them through dunes and only to get stuck with no way out but a fraudulent insurance claim. And speaking of ohio I saw a rolled(burned out a month later) F250 at Wellsville I assume due to them thinking their truck was capable of something it's not.

My point is that the Tremor has a upgraded rear end. It's not going to make or break from the FX4 version and I just want people to air on the side of caution before they risk there sweet new vehicle and/or their life.

Between me and you....I looked forward to the first big snow in NE ohio, I'll be out and about seeing how it does for sure. :)
I kinda wish I was still in Ohio, if only for the winter driving. Its soooo much fun and really how I learned to drive. First time behind the wheel when big enough to reach the pedals was in a icy Meijer parking lot.

I get for the safety of a large majority of the people out there who are barely capable of operating thier own 2 feet off pavement. But I never limit my reality to the reality of of other capability. I've taken 9 miles on 2.5' deep snow ruts on a two lane state highway in a 91 2wd 5speed ranger with 215/75r15 walmart specials and a open diff. Open fields on both sides, all drifts the whole way. I just kept up momentum, wheel speed was around 65mph actual speed was about 25mph. I could feel the snow pack beating on the frame almost the whole way. And by the time I got to Yellow Springs, where they plowed, I was home free and never stopped once. This was at 2am coming off 2nd shift.

If a soft locker like the Tremor diff probably 2"+ of clearance and taller wider tires would have made it like a sunday cruise then I dont know what will.
Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Im hoping that is a error of some sort. They do that sometimes, especially with dates :ROFLMAO:. It seems funny that they wouldnt run the Badlands gears on a bigger tired package. Unless they needed it for MPGs.:( MPGs makes me sad. Anything out of the teens is plenty.

He had KO2s on it. As much as people think they are so badass, they arent much different than the Wildpeaks.
As it turns out the final drive ratio has nothing to do with the rear but everything to do with the drive and driven gears in the transmission. What they will include on the Tremor rear I have no idea but all rears are the same on 2022 models ecoboost or hybrid and have a gear ratio of 2.58. I haven't looked at the hybrid transmissions yet but the 8F35 on the ecoboost engines are set up the following way.

The final drive for all gears including reverse is 3.47 to get to final gear ratio and available ratios is the following according to the service manual.

The 8F35 uses a 1 inch drive chain between the drive and driven gears and they are spec'd as follows. To change the existing gearing you'd need to remove the transmission, then the torque convertor, then the torque convertor housing cover. Now you can get to those gears and swap them out with the appropriate gears assuming you can find them for sale to change the final drive gear ratio. Unless they change the transmission these are the actual available final drive ratios and the way to get the 3.81 final drive gear ratio that is used on the Maverick 4k tow package and Bronco Sports.

Ford Maverick Tremor snow performance gears

Last edited:

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can option the FX4 with the Wildpeaks. I kind of wish I had known that when I ordered mine as have the Scorpions.

Danny somebody or other on youtube was doing a bunch of snow driving in his Mav, and I think that was just a regular Mav, and it did surprisingly well. Many people in the Northeast that got theirs in time for winter said it did great with snow tires (again regular Mav). So in conclusion, put good tires on whatever Mav you have and it will probably get you where you need to go!

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How do y'all think the Tremor will perform in snowy situations? Looking forward to having an AWD vehicle with good tires for snowy winters in Utah and Colorado, putting it to the test with a lot of trips up mountain canyons in blizzards to hit the ski slopes. Do you think the Tremor, with the extra clearance, twin rear clutch, electronically locking rear diff, updated drive modes, etc. would provide any meaningful advantage over a maverick without the Tremor, but with Falken Wildpeaks, 4K tow, and FX4?
I live in the same area, do a ton of winter mountain activities, and don't expect any concerns with a FWD hybrid Maverick in the snow (with proper tires). In 15yrs with FWD compact sedans (with good snow tires) in the same conditions, zero issues. Theoretically the tremor should be a little more capable (with proper tires) than my hybrid, but I have never had a need for more. So, IMO, kind of a moot discussion whether it would be more capable than an FX4.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I live in the same area, do a ton of winter mountain activities, and don't expect any concerns with a FWD hybrid Maverick in the snow (with proper tires). In 15yrs with FWD compact sedans (with good snow tires) in the same conditions, zero issues. Theoretically the tremor should be a little more capable (with proper tires) than my hybrid, but I have never had a need for more. So, IMO, kind of a moot discussion whether it would be more capable than an FX4.
On regular paved roads yes I agree but off roading is a different scenario.

Sponsored

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On regular paved roads yes I agree but off roading is a different scenario.
You intend to go off-roading in the snow? I didn't see anything in the OP about off-roading, just trips to the ski slopes.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
im sure on hard ice it will work little better or clump up hills of snow.

bdaniel230

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT -Hot Chili Red - 4k Tow Fx4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How do y'all think the Tremor will perform in snowy situations? Looking forward to having an AWD vehicle with good tires for snowy winters in Utah and Colorado, putting it to the test with a lot of trips up mountain canyons in blizzards to hit the ski slopes. Do you think the Tremor, with the extra clearance, twin rear clutch, electronically locking rear diff, updated drive modes, etc. would provide any meaningful advantage over a maverick without the Tremor, but with Falken Wildpeaks, 4K tow, and FX4?
Unless they drastically cripple the truck, it will be good in snow. I have a '22 with Fx4/Tow packages and I had absolutely no problem getting between Boise and Price last winter. I think it should be good even in a lake effect dump in Salt Lake. I run Blizzak and ContactProVikings in the winter. Last year the Blizzaks were fine, I am testing a set of Continental ContactProVikings this year as I had a set of Continental Snows on my '73 F-150 short bed 4x4 and it was great in the snow, and it would push a Western 6' Plow. I wouldn't stick a plow on a unibody truck but the Mav is great in the snow with snow treads.

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the Tremor will do well in that environment. Last November while in North Dakota and Minnesota, I could have benefited from the improved approach angle when tackling the snow banks. I came up on one and I heard the snow rubbing against the skid plates and I thought maybe I damaged the front plastic in the process, but it was Ok.

Ford Maverick Tremor snow performance Mav3

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I really dont like the mentality of "shouldnt have been there in the first place". The exact same thing could be said of space, crossing the Atlantic, norther icebreakers, every climber ever, that first fish like thing that tried breathing air a billion years ago. I have an AMC Eagle, its a long bodies, long wheelbase, unibody, a transfer case that relies on silicone jelly density for propulsion, comes factory 2" higher off the ground than a AMC Pacer, factory 26" tires, and has a wonky limited travel front IFS. But if you put a 2" lift(the limit of its axleshafts without fabrication) on it and "huge" 28" tires it becomes quite unstopable and was well known for its snow abilities in its day. Even so much that is was used in the Rockies as a Ski Patrol vehicle.

Pushing limits is the greatest challenge of the concious mind and should be welcomed and respected. When I get my Maverick I will push its limits, not with the intent of destruction but with years seasoned off road experience mostly down in the river valleys of south west Ohio. I once linked 3 proper(CJ) Jeeps together to pull 2 full size chevys on ATs out of a holler near Xenia, it was a challenge we met that we were told we shouldnt have tried, hell they shouldnt have tried the trail. But at the end of the day everyone drove home and the only casualty was a busted strap that got run over. Another time those same 3 Jeeps crossed a river linked together 1 by 1. Should we have tried no, but we measured, plotted, and succeded in finding a secret spot we never knew existed that was part of a 1800s canal and lock system lang ago abandoned.

You are right KO2s suck, but if I Maverick does make it somewhere, at whatever point it gets to. Thats exactly where it should be.
Nice way to put it- I think my Honda Element should not have been down most of the ATV trails and such its seen over the years- lol

Sponsored

Mav as heck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I found my 2006 Kia Spectra (FWD) can make the trip to any ski-resort in Colorado - regardless of the weather and road conditions. It's old enough it doesn't even have ABS or traction control. Snow tires, intelligent driving and judicious use of a low gear is all you need. (And maybe a little help from the snow plows keeping the snow from piling up too high)

With that as a frame of reference - the Tremor will provide zero advantages - ZERO - if your only goal is to tackle snowed out roads getting to the ski resort and perhaps getting through a poorly plowed parking lot.

We had some late season snow in April last year and I had a chance to take my 4WD/4K Mav up some mountain roads through some heavy, slushy snow.

With the Wildpeaks it did quite admirably. Up grade, off road, in the slush - from a dead stop - it had no problem.

Photo below is sort of early in the snowstorm, it continued dumping quite a bit!

Ford Maverick Tremor snow performance 20220424_120445

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Put Blizzaks on it and it will do great!

Mikekel

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Tremor (Avalanche)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For those questioning the gear ratio on the Tremor... This is the Ford OASIS Vehicle info tab of my '23 Tremor.

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: 2023 Maverick
VERSION/SERIES: XLT VERSION
PAINT COLOR: AVALANCHE
BODY STYLE: CREW CAB
DRIVE TYPE: 4 WHL L/H FULL TIME DRIVE
PAINT CODE: DR
ENGINE: 2.0L EcoBoost (240PS)
AXLE RATIO: 3.81 FINAL DRIVE RATIO
GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT: 5060 LB. GVW
ENGINE CALIBRATION:
AXLE CODE:38
RADIO:
TRANSMISSION: 8 Speed Auto Transmission 8F35
WHEEL SIZE: 17 X 7" Premium Paint Alum Wheel

FUEL TYPE:Gasoline
TIRE:7.5 x 17 235 / 65R 17 AT

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The unemotional and correct answer is that on road the Tremor's Advanced AWD will likely not provide any additional benefit from the standard AWD system. The reason for this is that the RDU and AWD lock are dry clutches that are susceptible to overheating and will disengage long before this happens.

What this means is that unlike a traditional two-speed transfer case you cannot permanently split/lock power to all 4 wheels. EDIT: at speed for sustained periods.

EDIT: H/T @fossil - PTU IS LIQUID COOLED IN TREMOR - BUT OVERHEATING ISSUES STILL A CONCERN - SEE COMMENT BELOW

Now - if you are really traversing deep snow or heavy snow and really need to push through it - the additional ground clearance afforded by the extremely modest lift but more importantly the revised front fascia - in addition to Sand mode - the Tremor will allow to get through some snow a standard Mav couldn't.

Off road the difference is night and day. With the rear locker, 4WD lock, drive modes, trail control, improved approach, break, and departure angles the Tremor will go places a standard Mav could only dream of.

Last edited:

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
kind of looks like a wet clutch set up to me. notice the multiple plates, looks a lot like a wet motorcycle clutch.

Ford Maverick Tremor snow performance rdu2
Sponsored